Electric assist for Farthing Penny bike

Farthing Penny

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2018
Hello & 2 questions from British Columbia. I live in a semirural area but manage without a car with grocery bikes I make for myself by cutting diamond frames at the seat tube and inverting the front. Then reducing the front wheel to a 20” “farthing” and building a frame hoop above it to drop a cargo bucket into. econologica.org/p2017.html
It would be good to have electric assist eg if I have to get the 7 miles to a hospital A&E hurt or ill possibly at night. Over the years I have topped the chopper handlebar U into a closed loop which I can rock back and forth for extra muscle power in hills. But this makes it impossible to slip e-bike controls on. So Q1: I have to add an magnet to a brake lever and a sticky back sensor to split-able aluminum? brake housing? and put a thumb-throttle on a stub tube?
I have to lift the bike over a highway median, so can’t add much weight. I have been looking at a small assist motor preferably as a mid-drive. I already have a Shimano front-freewheeling FF chainwheel. I cannot find a 250w brushless with a built in reduction so I am thinking of using a (unspoked) Xiongda YTW-06. It is small enough to mount “GNG” style on the chain, but then would have to run backwards which Bonnie says isn’t possible, even if the roller clutch is put in backwards. Q2: Has any member opened up a YTW-06. ?

Simon Farthing

D

Deleted member 4366

Sensored geared hub motors often have asymmetric timing, so they don't run backwards very well unless you can find a controller with a reverse function.

You can use a front motor with the disc fixing holes to drive a chain wheel on the left side of the crank. I made a sprocket adaptor for one out of a steel rear hub from a cheap BMX bike. Cut it off behind the spoke flange, then drill the spoke flange to get the 6 fixing holes.

Farthing Penny

Apr 5, 2018
Sensored geared hub motors often have asymmetric timing, so they don't run backwards very well unless you can find a controller with a reverse function.

You can use a front motor with the disc fixing holes to drive a chain wheel on the left side of the crank. I made a sprocket adaptor for one out of a steel rear hub from a cheap BMX bike. Cut it off behind the spoke flange, then drill the spoke flange to get the 6 fixing holes.
The YTW-06 isn't sensored. Bonnie says the motor will run backwards with leads reversed but it won't drive the hub even if the roller clutch is reversed. May have something to do with reversed thrust on helical gears.

For forward rotation as a normal midmotor on separate chain I was going to mill grooves in the hub 1.375" thread to take the splines of an old Sturmey Archer 18 tooth sprocket.

For reverse rotation a normal RH single speed freewheel on the hub will allow the motor to drive the chain and not turn otherwise so really just need the roller clutch inside disabled which perhaps could try with degreasing and Loctite.

D

Deleted member 4366

The clutch in a Q100 can be reversed. All you need then is a controller that can run it in the reverse direction. The same applies to a Q70, 75, 85, and 128.

Farthing Penny

Apr 5, 2018
Is this your bike?.

The bottom grey bike is a recent photo showing the wire that pulls the chain that drives the front wheel when the handlebars are pulled back and the bungee that connects the tail of this chain to the tail of the other extra chain on the left side of the rear wheel which is pulled via the front of the seat by a wire not visible from the top of the handlebar hose clamp. I demononstrate it in

The blue bike in the old photos has been upgraded to this rock 'n roll armpower now. and the front-freewheeling chainwheel put back on the normal right side to be avaialble for mid-drive. Disregard the middle image I am unable to delete from reappearing. Sorry for not removing old stuff from my bike pages.

Last edited:

Farthing Penny

Apr 5, 2018
The clutch in a Q100 can be reversed. All you need then is a controller that can run it in the reverse direction. The same applies to a Q70, 75, 85, and 128.
Sorry I can't find a link to a rear threaded Q128 hub drawing and dimensions. What does Q128a, Q128h etc designate?

D

Deleted member 4366

Qxxx is cooking version
QxxxH is high power version
QxxxC is cassette version

All the Qxxx motors can be found on google images:

Farthing Penny

Apr 5, 2018
Qxxx is cooking version
QxxxH is high power version
QxxxC is cassette version

All the Qxxx motors can be found on google images:

Thanks d8veh, This is amost 50% greater diameter than YtW-06. Won't fit so easily in "GNG" position on the chain.

No-one commented on my easier first Q1: are there any e-brakes or throttles that are split to install around existing handlebars, not over the ends?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union