Electric bike for a large guy

Cass316

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2017
Scotland
Hey folks.

First post so please take it easy on me haha.

Need some advice as to which electric bike would be suitable for me.
Read some places that electric bikes don't perform as well for overweight people.
I'm 6 foot and 20 stone.
Going to use my bike for my daily 7 mile round trip commute to work.
Mostly flat but a few fair sized hills to contend with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: LeighPing

Andyemb

May 21, 2016
Worcester
I was just under 120kg when I bought my Woosh big bear and almost a year later it's still going strong. I can highly recommend the bike, it flies up hills and has been great helping me to get some fitness back. Does anyone know if a more powerful hub motor than the big bears BPM exists?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Cass, A warm welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find the responses from members very helpful.
What riding position would you prefer, something a little sporty or upright and comfort orientated?

Cass316

May 25, 2017
Scotland
I was just under 120kg when I bought my Woosh big bear and almost a year later it's still going strong. I can highly recommend the bike, it flies up hills and has been great helping me to get some fitness back. Does anyone know if a more powerful hub motor than the big bears BPM exists?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Thanks mate.
Had a look and this bike seems to be the type of thing that would be up my street.
Thanks.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
D

Deleted member 4366

Does anyone know if a more powerful hub motor than the big bears BPM exists?
If you just want more power from your bike, you only need a more powerful controller to get 10% more torque, or you could probably just add a little bit of solder to the shunt in the controller to increase its power. You need to look at the controller and read the maximum current on the label because there are different versions. The motor can run happily at 22 amps.

If you want a different motor, the 500w version is the same size and shape. it can run up to 30 amps, but to get that power, you'd need a new controller and battery. At the moment, your battery is near its maximum output, so unless you want to change it, you're pretty well stuck. Your battery can give about 20 amps. Installing a more powerful motor won't help if you can't give it more power.

The power comes from the battery and is regulated by the controller. If you simply installed the 500w motor in your bike, it would go exactly the same.

If you're talking about a new bike, yes, there's loads of more powerful motors/systems.

Reactions: Andyemb

Andyemb

May 21, 2016
Worcester
Thanks mate.
Had a look and this bike seems to be the type of thing that would be up my street.
Thanks.
Comfort was my main concern as well as being able to tackle hills but bike fit is really important too. I must have shorter than normal arm length because I spent as much time adjusting the bike to fit me as riding it at first. I have spinal stenosis and osteoarthrosis so it was hard getting used to riding a bike again. I don't know if woosh still do them but I bought a Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seatpost and that has made a massive difference to the comfort.

Cass316

May 25, 2017
Scotland

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Cass,

I'm 5'6" and 19 stone!

All our bikes are built to take my weight and above, they all have 10 year frame guarantees.

Have a look at the SE range for £1,099, but for you I would recommend a Torque with the larger battery, nearly 600Wh and plenty of power! I guarantee you will love it.

https://wisperbikes.com/

All the best, David

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a large guy needs more power assist, there is no two ways about it.
More power means you have better acceleration and better hill climbing ability.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What bike/bikes would you recommend?
that depends on your budget. My bikes are £1,000 or less, so if you have more than £1,000 to spend, it has to be with some other firms.
For £1,000, the Woosh Big Bear is hard to beat.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Thanks.
Both look good.
Don't know if the extra 700 quid would be worth it though.
What does the premium bike offer that the cheaper one doesn't?
Hi Cass, The Cube Cross Hybrid Pro comes with the highest power Bosch e-groupset the performance CX which offers robust hill climbing. It also comes with sun tour NEX suspension, Shimano Deore gears and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. So it's one of the best equipped ebikes for the money. It doesn't include lights or mudguards. The freego bikes come fully equipped and are one of the most capable road legal hub motor ebikes on hills. Hope that helps.

Cass316

May 25, 2017
Scotland
How much would it be to get the lights to make the cube cross road legal?

Hi Cass, The Cube Cross Hybrid Pro comes with the highest power Bosch e-groupset the performance CX which offers robust hill climbing. It also comes with sun tour NEX suspension, Shimano Deore gears and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. So it's one of the best equipped ebikes for the money. It doesn't include lights or mudguards. The freego bikes come fully equipped and are one of the most capable road legal hub motor ebikes on hills. Hope that helps.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
If you're talking about a new bike, yes, there's loads of more powerful motors/systems.
None of them have 250W labels stuck on them though do they? (Although, I think someone said if you ask the manufacturer themselves, you can get such a label on a Xiongda.)

D

Deleted member 4366

None of them have 250W labels stuck on them though do they? (Although, I think someone said if you ask the manufacturer themselves, you can get such a label on a Xiongda.)
Maybe you're not old enough to have watched Blue Peter. Those of us that are and did watch it have 250w labels on our motors.