Electric Bike for disabled man

trillian

Just Joined
Sep 5, 2016
Nottingham
Hello, I'm new to electric bikes and am looking for some advice. I have a chronic illness which has meant for most of the last 10 years I've been housebound but my health has improved a little and I'm looking for ways to get out more. Most people in my situation would get a scooter or electric wheelchair but I'm 30 year man and I would much rather be on a bike if possible particularly as on good days I can walk short distances, for example round a shop. I currently can't walk 1 km to the park or to the shops or a park, but with an electric bike I hope I could get there.

I have a friend who has a Gocycle which has transformed their life so I'm looking for something similar but half the price. I've also found lots of cycle paths/ routes almost from my house which I feel a lot happier about using than going on main roads.

I'm looking for:
- A bike which can be powered without cycling if I get tired.
-A bike which is a light as possible to that I can bring it in my house to store.
- A folding bike so that if I do go further a field but can't get back and need to get a taxi I can do.
- A bike I can easily lock up for an hour.
- A Bike with as comfortable ride as possible.
- A bike which needs as little maintenance as possible.

Range isn't an issue as it will mostly be used for 2-6miles round trips.

Price is somewhat flexible I'm really just interested in what's out there. I'm also happy to buy second hand.

Thankyou!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A bike with a full speed throttle is against current regulations, so that may limit your choice.

Legal ebike motors are not that powerful, even one with a full speed throttle may not get you up steep hills without some effort on your part.

A folding ebike may suit your purpose, but bear in mind the folded package is ungainly and still fairly heavy.

Fine for lifting in and out of the car or for storage, but not portable.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is another recurring theme: disabled rider and full speed throttle.

I can't see any policeman in any country writing out a ticket to a rider who has an illegal bike (powerful motor, full speed throttle) and a disabled person card on them. Unless that person had committed some other driving offence perhaps.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not illegal to have a full-range throttle on an ebike. It's only illegal to sell one. Many sellers sell bikes with 4 mph throttles that can be reset to full-range by the user.

Most folding bikes with throttles will be suitable because the small wheels increase the torque from the motor compared with 26"+ ones.

D

Deleted member 17694

Hello Trillian,

Firstly, I applaud you for wanting to get out and about on two wheels. I have a disability myself, so I can empathise. I regret however that I'm not an expert on ebikes, but there are many members here who are (and I hope they can suggest something that meets your needs). I wrote this post because I wanted to draw your attention to this "Bikes not Barriers" guide, it might be worth giving them a call.

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Good morning Trillian,

The Chameleon LS:

Seems like a good choice for you, it's comfortable, foldable, under 23kg, will require no more bike maintenance than any other (a service at your local bike shop twice a year) AND a few of our dealers still have an LS in stock with a full speed throttle!

If you PM me with your postcode, I'll take a look at our dealers and see if anyone has one! :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
This gent points out his throttle, on his byocycle, at 30 seconds into the video below. The byocycle would benefit from a gel saddle and a suspension seat post, to make it more comfortable, he said.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh Gale would fit your requirements, budget, power, folding, suspension, little maintenance, full speed throttle (you only have to take it into the street and plug in the throttle lead) and 13AH battery power.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gale

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
the woosh Gale would fit your requirements, budget, power, folding, suspension, little maintenance, full speed throttle (you only have to take it into the street and plug in the throttle lead) and 13AH battery power.
That's a tidy looking little bike.

"The Gale features both throttle twist grip and pedal assist.
Gear shifter and throttle are on the right."

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
in case you wonder why I said take it into the street before plugging in the throttle, it's because the EAPC regulations allow the user to plug in a thottle to a bike, not the manufacturers. The user has to have a bike first, that is to put the e-bike into circulation before adding the throttle.