Electric bike to assist with fatigue, muscle and joint problems

KYORKS

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2017
Halifax
Hi everyone,

I would like a little assistance on buying an electric bike. I have a chronic health problem which affects my muscles, joints and also means I tire easily. I've looked at the e-bikes available and tried a few and have come to the conclusion a speed sensor would be preferable to a torque sensor. The latter being useless if I have very little energy to put in as might be the case at the end of a ride. I tried a Scott e sub bike today which felt less powerful that the Volt hybrid. I suspect this was to do with the power I was putting in. My partner found the Scott more powerful but he does not have the same health issues as me. However the Volt was not as comfortable. I live in a hilly area and would use the bike for canal tow path, woodland and maybe a little road use.

My budget is £2000. Can anyone suggest other speed sensor e bikes with a throttle if possible?

Thanks

Karen

D

Deleted member 4366

Oxygens are very nice. Their HQ is not far from you in Rotherham. You can normally get a good deal there because there's no extra dealer in the chain.

http://www.syebc.co.uk/

Wisper Torque is another one. It has torque and cadence sensor. You can choose which to use. They might have one at SYEBC as well.

Freegos have a 4mph throttle that you can change to full range by a simple setting. I think that's the same with Wispers. Oxygen give you the throttle in a box ready to fit, and I'm sure that they can get you someone to fit it for nothing.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello KYORKS,

I would suggest you look at the Woosh Big Bear LS.
It has a strong motor and a throttle. It also comes with a 15AH battery, enough for about 40 miles on throttle alone.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi everyone,

I would like a little assistance on buying an electric bike. I have a chronic health problem which affects my muscles, joints and also means I tire easily. I've looked at the e-bikes available and tried a few and have come to the conclusion a speed sensor would be preferable to a torque sensor. The latter being useless if I have very little energy to put in as might be the case at the end of a ride. I tried a Scott e sub bike today which felt less powerful that the Volt hybrid. I suspect this was to do with the power I was putting in. My partner found the Scott more powerful but he does not have the same health issues as me. However the Volt was not as comfortable. I live in a hilly area and would use the bike for canal tow path, woodland and maybe a little road use.

My budget is £2000. Can anyone suggest other speed sensor e bikes with a throttle if possible?

Thanks

Karen
Juicy have throttles that can be set to provide full speed (illegal) and have stockists in Leeds and York. You should definitely take a test ride of whichever bike you think might be suitable.
At New Mills we also stock Raleigh and Wisper bikes too.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Find a dealer that will check spoke tension for you, my Oxygen came from the factory and the dealer I chose checked spoke tension for me and found several spokes had the wrong tension, they fixed this before delivery to me, I recommend you do lots of research before you buy.

You sometimes hear of spokes busting on E-Bikes, having the correct spoke tension should make this less likely.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kyorks,

If you have the budget it may be worth considering our 705Torque. With a 575Wh battery it woul cost you £1,799.

It has the added advantage of having a torque sensor and speed sensor and uniquely you can choose which sensor you want to use. The Torque sensor is fantastic for getting started, as soon as you put any pressure on the pedals the motor starts to assist you. If you need a rest move from torque sensor to cadence sensor and all you need to do is keep the pedals turning for max power. Of course we also have a throttle if needed.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz