Electric Bikes on eBay

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Warrenty return costs

I was tempted to buy a new ebike off the web, but wondered how I might get repairs carried out if it went wrong. To return it for a warrenty repair to either the Seller/Agent, or perhaps to the Wholesale/Agent would cost around £50. Although you can buy on line saving £100 in some cases, two returns would gobble the savings made on line up.

I'm £50 up already - new ebike up the creek within one month, I have calculated in 12 months at one return per month, I will have recovered the entire cost of the ebike and in profit by a pound, just because I bought my ebike locally :confused:

Regards Terry :D

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I was tempted to buy a new ebike off the web, but wondered how I might get repairs carried out if it went wrong. To return it for a warrenty repair to either the Seller/Agent, or perhaps to the Wholesale/Agent would cost around £50. Although you can buy on line saving £100 in some cases, two returns would gobble the savings made on line up.

I'm £50 up already - new ebike up the creek within one month, I have calculated in 12 months at one return per month, I will have recovered the entire cost of the ebike and in profit by a pound, just because I bought my ebike locally :confused:

Regards Terry :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes a very good point, even if under warranty and free repairs you still have to get it to shop so local is the best if its possible...

C

Cyclezee

eBay is a good place to look for a quality second hand bikes rather than some of the nasty new and not so cheap stuff that appears there.

J:) hn

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
eBay is a good place to look for a quality second hand bikes rather than some of the nasty new and not so cheap stuff that appears there.

I think you'd have a job finding a better bike than this brand new for £340 .....
26" Brand New Aluminium Electric Folding BikeSL26SF02BL on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 06-Jun-08 21:11:30 BST)

Another member posted this review of a very similar bike ....
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bike-reviews/1958-sun-lova-sl300zb-owner-reviews.html

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Agreed, it would be difficult if not impossible to find any new electric bike for £340, but very easy to find a much better one:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

you been on the cryptic crosswords again..lol.. ive read what you put several times and im still not sure..:p ...like it..:rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

you been on the cryptic crosswords again..lol.. ive read what you put several times and im still not sure..:p ...like it..:rolleyes:
Clue: Very Cheap Chinese Electric Bicycle. 4 letters, 1st letter C, last letter P :confused:

J:p hn

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Ah, so you equate everything that's cheap with poor quality even though you have no first hand experience.
Very constructive (not).

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Clue: Very Cheap Chinese Electric Bicycle. 4 letters, 1st letter C, last letter P :confused:

J:p hn

comon ive had a rough night, can you give me an easier clue ?:rolleyes:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Ah, so you equate everything that's cheap with poor quality even though you have no first hand experience.
Very constructive (not).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
scobo....ask him how many bikes he has had, then you will see your "no first hand experience,very constructive (not)" quote is as usefull as a aaa battery on my Quando..............................just a hint here but he has had nearly as many bikes as you have done postings...:eek:

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
That's fair enough and I'm certainly no ebike expert having just bought my first one but what i was implying was that you can't just rubbish something you haven't seen for yourself just because it's low priced (or from China).

C

Cyclezee

Scobo
I think we got off on the wrong tack here.

No, I have not tried one of these bikes or seen one, tried one very similar which probably has the same motor/battery setup. It was heavy and almost impossible to pedal without power.

On the other hand spending a lot of money does not guarantee a good product, I know, I have made that mistake before;)

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
No worries Aldby.
Sure, it's probably lower spec than many other bikes but I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for their first bike and not wanting to spend a fortune.
I haven't had a bike since I was a teenager and wasn't sure if I would get it into it but I have partly due to the help and information available on this site.
I may well progress to a more expensive bike with better spec in the future (if the Mrs will let me).
Cheers,
Scott.;)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Scott

Personally, I would go for a good quality second hand bike as a first electric bike rather than splash out the cash straight away on an expensive new one. Possibly one the Mrs could ride too;)

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
I did have a look at the second hand bikes on ebay before buying brand new but the main problem was the vast majority of sales were pickup only and there weren't many for sale within a reasonable distance from me.
I guess ebikes haven't quite taken off in Scotland yet.