Electric Skateboard, Can I Use One?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Had a go on a mates new electric skateboard the other day.

Took along my cycle gps unit to record my maximum speed.

Brilliant, straight down the centre of a mile long, smooth and empty road.
Maximum speed recorded was 31mph.

Asked a bit more about it. 900w 36v and best part of £800

I am sure that there must be some law to prevent users using one of these for transport.
My mate didn't know and didn't seem to care, he uses it everywhere most days.

Brilliant bit of kit and I want one but does anyone know if I can use one without being arrested?

I cannot believe that in this day and age that this would be allowed but hopeful.

Anyone know?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Definitely illegal for use accept on private land.

Not sure what he odds on getting caught are but if a do get caught the fine could be rather on the heavy side (basically using a uninsured,untaxed, untype approved motor vehicle)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Definitely illegal for use accept on private land.

Not sure what he odds on getting caught are but if a do get caught the fine could be rather on the heavy side (basically using a uninsured,untaxed, untype approved motor vehicle)
So ok if you own an airfield. There is a market for these, makes me wonder where people use them.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
So ok if you own an airfield. There is a market for these, makes me wonder where people use them.
Most buyers either dont care or have no idea they are not legal. I Bet the seller either doesnt mention the fact or else its tucked away in the small print.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Most buyers either dont care or have no idea they are not legal. I Bet the seller either doesnt mention the fact or else its tucked away in the small print.
Yes, I think that is the case, my mate did not know and did not seem to care.

I however do care. Brilliant fun but not worth a shed load of legal trouble. Maybe in the future in a more relaxed county. Thanks for your input.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've only heard of inner London users being stopped by the police. Most parts of the UK the likelyhood of getting stopped is quite small, but the big problem is that being stopped means confiscation of the board and no return. It goes into the crusher, that being the law now for uninsured vehicles which cannot be made legal.

stuvy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 2, 2013
thats a bit quick on a skateboard!

I used to make my own long boards when i was 18 they were great fun until you hit a stone and the board stopped but you didnt!!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
thats a bit quick on a skateboard!

I used to make my own long boards when i was 18 they were great fun until you hit a stone and the board stopped but you didnt!!
It was a stupid speed. Just tried it the once. 5-7mph woould be a comfortable speed.

Hit stone at this speed and you better hope that you can run at 30mph.

I think this board was for nutters only, 0-25mph in 2 seconds and fitted with anti lock brakes.

None the less if it was legal, I'd buy a slower and less powerful version just for a bit of fun.

L.spa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Can you remember what the make of the skateboard was ?

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I found it as I recently bought this:

WowGo 2S

£330 with shipping and it took about 4 weeks to arrive, I've done about 10 miles on it so far including one commute to work and I absolutely love it.

As much as I love my ebike, this is a much more fun way to travel!

I've been doing some research about the legalities of riding electric skateboards, and they are illegal but as someone on another forum put it, think of it as the same level of illegality as riding your bicycle on the footpath!

Lots of people have been stopped by the police but mostly they say as long as your not whizzing past people on the footpath at 20mph then you'll be okay.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been doing some research about the legalities of riding electric skateboards, and they are illegal
The actual law that bans them is the same one that bans Segways and mini-mopeds and many other motorised devices.

It's the Highway Act 1835

This bans any locomotive from any public road, locomotive in this instance being an archaic term to describe any motorised vehicle.

Since 1835 in Great Britain, any type of motorised vehicle has to have a specific permission in law to be used. Without that it is automatically banned.

The person to blame is Richard Trevithick, an early pioneer of steam power in Cornish mines. Realising the possibility, he constructed a carriage with a steam engine mounted on it and with six of his mates on board drove from his village to the next in 1826.

Learning of this, several others followed suit in the following years until parliament acted to stop it in 1835, frightening the horses and sensitive human souls being the grounds for the ban.

Reactions: Danidl

Advertisers