1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronic Cigarettes.

Discussion in 'The Charging Post' started by neptune, Dec 31, 2012.

neptune

neptune Pedelecer

This is a subject that may have been touched on before, But I would like to talk about it from my own perspective. Smoking is something that I have battled with since the age of thirty, when I started. I have made numerous attempts to quit over the years, with varying degrees of success. I once managed to stop for three years, but started again when I went back to lorry driving. My last attempt was about five years ago, when I quit for about nine months.
    I was in Tesco`s a few days before Christmas, and I noticed that they are now selling electronic cigarettes, albeit the disposable ones rather than the refillable/rechargeable ones .On a whim, I bought one. I put it on my desk, and it lay there for a few days. On Saturday evening, after tea, I decided to give it a try. The surprising thing is that I have not smoked a "real" cigarette since. Indeed , I was so impressed that I have ordered a rechargeable model off the internet.
    Electronic cigarettes are controversial for several reasons. Firstly, they contain nicotine. But there is no tar or other toxins. Opinion is divided, but some scientists say that nicotine in moderation is no greater a health hazard than caffeine. In an ideal world, people would quit altogether, But these cigarettes act as a damage limitation exercise.
    Surely this is better than promising that one day you will quit altogether, and simply carrying on smoking. The other big plus is that there is no smoke passed on to bystanders. And it works out much cheaper, so you will save money. But to save, you really need a rechargeable one. A disposable one costs a fiver, and lasted me almost 48 hours.
    So if you still smoke, for the sake of a fiver, give it a go. I have noticed that my breathing has improved in just 48 hours. One reason is probably lower carbon monoxide levels in the blood.
    Aparently, some pubs and restaurants allow the use of e cigarettes. I am not sure about public transport . I would welcome all comments, positive or negative.

• Like Like x 2
    Old_Dave

Old_Dave Pedelecer

Legal to use every where, but not allowed in Wetherspoons cos they think that cigarette smokers would light up, and they can't be bothered to deal with it.... However, stealth is the key :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Quay

Alan Quay Pedelecer

I have been using them for 6 months now, and think of them as 'fags mk2'.

neptune

neptune Pedelecer

:mad:Mike Higgins. I am pleased to hear that you are doing so well. Are you completely off "Analogue Fags" now? It is early days for me, but I am hoping for success. The main thing I am looking forward to is better pedalling ability, do to improved lung function. I am still using the expensive disposable ones, but my rechargeable kit should be here tomorrow or the next day.
    Of course the next project has to be a DC-DC converter, so I can charge my fags from the main bike battery.

103Alex1

103Alex1 Pedelecer

They got me off the tobacco too. I smoked 30+ a day for over 20 years. Started using 10Motives after buying a recharegeable one from Sainsburys in mid-September and realized for the first time there was a chance of my doing something about the cigs.

It still took me a few weeks of smoking these alongside my usual Marlboro reds (cutting the real fags down to 10 and then 5 a day) before I finally stopped lighting up. I use high strength rechargeable refills direct from the company (mail order) after some dodgy batches of refills from Supermarkets which did not draw and endless "out of stock" experiences at Tesco / Sainsburys (not what someone recently quit needs at all !!!!!!).

My life has stopped revolving around tobacco - an increasingly frustrating and self-destructive problem. I still like tobacco but don't ever want to smoke it again. It was like having 20 years taken off my age a couple of weeks after I quit. Changed my whole attitude to my health. When you smoke, it's easy to feel that it's pointless trying to be healthy in other ways because you know you're trying to walk up a down escalator. My cardio capabilities and lung function were so restricted I could never do half the stuff I wanted to physically. Building it back now is like having a new lease in life. I was extremely addicted to fags and would not have managed to give up tobacco without electronic cigarettes.

103Alex1

103Alex1 Pedelecer

I "smoke" them discreetly whilst walking round the Supermarket, have smoked them in meetings, smoke them on trains openly etc. It's best to use the ones with a glowing blue tip rather than a red tip because it's obvious they are not cigarettes.

Did get challenged by an "anti-smoking" campaign person who was a receptionist in a place I went in Mayfair in September. I had the greatest of delight in "educating her" ever so politely. She didn't even know what they were. So opinionated on the one hand and so completely ignorant on the other.

She didn't know what to do with herself by the time I had finished. People who try to stop you smoking these are *ankers - they have no valid excuses as the only valid argument against smoking in public generally is 2nd hand tobacco smoke damaging other peoples' health.
    cartridges. It's a whole new world ;).

#6 103Alex1, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Alan Quay

Alan Quay Pedelecer

@neptune. Yes, tried an analogue 3 months ago, and couldn't stand it, so its worked for me.

Personally, I don't normally vape around others unless they are smoking.

neptune

neptune Pedelecer

I find it really refreshing, and encouraging to hear about other peoples success stories. Like so many difficult tasks in life, it becomes easier when you see other people succeeding. One of the real problems, as I see it, is that smoking is a very emotional subject. It is all very well for the medical profession to take the view that "We would expect, and far prefer people to quit altogether." That is fine and dandy in theory, but in the real world, for many smokers, that is just not going to happen. So the reality is that for some, they just keep kidding themselves that they will quit one fine day, and continue to smoke.

As I see it, the real benefit of e-fags, is the lack of carbon monoxide. Tobacco smoke can poison 10% of the red blood cells, making them useless as oxygen carriers. There is no such problem with e-fags. Already, after only 3 days, I am noticing the improved breathing, and strangely after all these years, my sense of smell is starting to return. This in itself is a mixed blessing, as you tend to smell bad things as well as good!

It really is time for the powers that be to get behind e-cigarettes as a recognised method of getting off tobacco. Even the fiercest critics have to agree that they are very much safer than normal cigarettes. I think that there are vested interests at work here. Instead, they seem to be hell bent on promoting Champix as an anti smoking treatment. There have been several people who have committed suicide as a result of taking Champix. It is a fact that the will never smoke again.

So here`s to a brighter future for us all in 2013, the smokers, the non smokers, the ex smokers, and the vapers.

Alan Quay

Alan Quay Pedelecer

103Alex1

103Alex1 Pedelecer

It's not just the CO, neptune (although that's the immediate feel-good result of switching and you can also finally breathe deeply properly again which for me was something I missed most of my adult life) - it's ditching the hundreds of cancer-inducing chemicals in cigarette smoke, and getting rid of the cause of emphysema and all the other related diseases too. Nicotine by itself is not the culprit.

flecc

flecc Member

I can't stand any of the sanctimonious anti-smoking crowd, and some of the worst are the ex-smokers.

After smoking for almost 40 years, at least 60 a day for the latter half of that, I gave up suddenly the hard way 25 years ago, using anger at my own stupidity in being so addicted as the tool to achieve it.

My way of expressing my annoyance at the anti-smoking brigade is that I have a working table lighter and an ashtray in my lounge to show anyone visiting that they are welcome to smoke if they wish. A few have been surprised but also pleased to be able to take advantage of this facility, rare indoors these days.

In my 77th year and after smoking and inhaling at least 700,000 cigarettes, the chance of a whiff of their secondary smoke killing me must be infinitesimally minute!

Alan Quay

Alan Quay Pedelecer

Best of luck with quitting Neptune. Many of my friends have also quit this way. Partly I suspect because they can tail off the nic content gradually, and also because they can keep a vape handy for those moments that are triggers.

jazper53

jazper53 Finding my (electric) wheels

As a COPD sufferer, and smoker. I have tried all that is available through the anti- smoking clinic, and nothing has worked. I bought a e-cig (E-Lites) from the the newsagent, its rechargeble, and generates its own smoke, and its the closest I have come across, to giving the same satisfaction that a cig does. I have cut down down by half and hope to cut further, the most effective of all the aids I have come across.

#13 jazper53, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    103Alex1

103Alex1 Pedelecer

There is success story after success story with these things. They provide a solution when psychological triggers prompt you to want to pick up a fag and are enough of a compromise to satisfy the sensation craving (which can be the biggest draw).

As Mike Higgins says - if you tail them off you have something there which you can pick up if you get one of those trigger scenarios (which might otherwise have you Forrest Gumping to the nearest newsagent :eek:).

Still have my stock supply of around 12 200-pack cartons of Marlboro in the cupboard freely available (the average store I always kept to make sure if money got tight I could manage) but have never been tempted since the day I stopped. It's shocking to think there's a damned decent bike's worth of money sat there at today's prices. I know which one I'd rather have. :rolleyes:

funkylyn

funkylyn Pedelecer

Nice to hear others opinions on these.
    This will maybe inspire me to try again with an e cigarette, although the skylab rechargeable I have I didn't really get on with....the feeling of something hard in my mouth compared to a real cigarette was just too strange :eek: ....although I DID enjoy, briefly, the novelty of smoking it in the pub/train etc and watching people gasp in shock.....idiots !

I wish they would bring out a soft feel one which would be more realistic.

Im not too worried about my smoking right now because I look on it as a 'crutch' at the moment during a stressful time, and I enjoy the feeling of being some sort of 'rebel on the outside of society' also I have given up before for 8 years and then 10 years and didn't start until I was 28 and have never smoked for more than 3 years at a time.

Once I decide to stop...I just stop.....but it goes to prove the old adage.....once a smoker....always a smoker......

Nice to know that if I was ever invited to visit flecc I would be made so welcome :)

Lynda :)

saneagle

saneagle Finding my (electric) wheels

Hi, I have been using an e cig for the last 2 years. Yes they are addictive, but they are so much better than a cigarette. I enjoy it as much as I used to enjoy smoking. I smoke it whilst at work, and I have introduced a few colleges to them. The one which I now use is this one which I have put a link to.

Tornado eGo-C E.Cig Full Kit - Black

I used to smoke like a chimney, and once I started on this I stopped cigarettes straight away.

Synthman

Synthman Finding my (electric) wheels

I have smoked for over 10 years. I was interested in an eletronic cigarette. I got one free a while ago, a disposable version. I found it very large and heavy, probably because I smoke roll-ups which are a lot thinner than a proper cigarette.

funkylyn

funkylyn Pedelecer

Yes....that's it....you've hit the nail on the head......I smoke roll ups too, that must be why I found the e cig strange

neptune

neptune Pedelecer

Strangely enough, I used to smoke rollups myself. There is no doubt that the feel and weight of an efag is different. However it is really no big deal, and within a couple of days it ceases to be problem. The fact that your efag is not burning, allows to grasp it in a way that would not be possible with a normal fag, and I find that the answer is to hold it in your fist. This also conceals that glowing LED which is handy in stealth situations.
    Think of changing to efags as just changing to a different brand. If the different weight and feel is a real problem for you, here is something to try. Before you switch
    , buy and use a cigarette holder for a week. That will get you used to a different weight, and each time you reach for a fag, it will remind you that you are approaching changeover date.
    Here is another idea[I was going to say tip, but I`ve done with those]. In the early days do not think about cigarettes as something that you have lost. Instead, every time you think about smoking, think of the fianancial and health benefits of quitting, then get up and do something. Go for a walk, ride your bike, go swimming, but do something.
    Most doctors will still not endorse efags. There are even those who try to kid you that efags are more dangerous than tobacco fags. If your doctor takes this attitude, here is what to say. "OK, I will stick to smoking then. It will probably kill me, but at least i will not save any money..."
    Day four, and still going well. Still waiting for my rechargeable to arrive. Still can`t believe that I have stopped smoking BY ACCIDENT, see first post in this thread.

funkylyn

funkylyn Pedelecer

Well done Neptune :)

Thats a good idea about the holder, do you know if you can get small short ones ?