eMTB buying advice

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
What about a trek powerfly, the reviews are good
Looks like a nice bike. There's certainly no lack of choice. Although that does feel like a moot point since it's pretty much impossible to get a test ride on any them. I'm basically buying blind and hoping for the best. As such I think I'm almost certainly going to go for the Haibike SDuro AllMtn 6.0 as I really like the design and asthetics and in terms of spec all of the bikes I'm looking at seem to be fairly evenly matched.

I'm now considering the size options. I'm 5ft 10.5", inside leg 31". Two shops have said I should be ok on 44cm or 48cm. The other shop recommended a 48cm. Having had a bike purchased for me in the past (as a gift) that was very slightly too big for me and knowing how annoying that was I want to make sure that I make the correct decion on frame size. Is there any advantage to having a bigger frame - it's more weight surely?

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Looks like a nice bike. There's certainly no lack of choice. Although that does feel like a moot point since it's pretty much impossible to get a test ride on any them. I'm basically buying blind and hoping for the best. As such I think I'm almost certainly going to go for the Haibike SDuro AllMtn 6.0 as I really like the design and asthetics and in terms of spec all of the bikes I'm looking at seem to be fairly evenly matched.

I'm now considering the size options. I'm 5ft 10.5", inside leg 31". Two shops have said I should be ok on 44cm or 48cm. The other shop recommended a 48cm. Having had a bike purchased for me in the past (as a gift) that was very slightly too big for me and knowing how annoying that was I want to make sure that I make the correct decion on frame size. Is there any advantage to having a bigger frame - it's more weight surely?
I would go for smaller version , smaller = more agile and you can always raise seatpost or even put a dropper in place for downhills.
I made mistake of a bike which was on the upper end of my size range Road use was fine , but in reality for messing about and serious stuff I was tatered as it was too big, seatpost was at the bottom of its range , it impossible to play on. E.g. Wheelies, Downhill runs etc.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2Lazy and LeighPing

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire

I'm now considering the size options. I'm 5ft 10.5", inside leg 31". Two shops have said I should be ok on 44cm or 48cm. The other shop recommended a 48cm. Having had a bike purchased for me in the past (as a gift) that was very slightly too big for me and knowing how annoying that was I want to make sure that I make the correct decion on frame size. Is
there any advantage to having a bigger frame - it's more weight surely?
Very tricky decision for you to get the right size. I'm 5' 7" and have the 44 which feels slightly too big but my wife's (5'5") has the 40 and that is too small for me, although it goes feel more agile. These are both Haibike All mountain RC's. Where you going to buy from?

• Informative
Reactions: 2Lazy

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I have a lapierre and they only do small medium and large, I'm only about 5'6" and I have a medium and I think it's just the right size, I put a dropper post on for the downhill stuff.
A medium is 44cm so that's about 17" I think.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Have you tried 7.0 model, they use newer Yamaha PWX motor which has had good reviews.

I have Cube and find it great ride, excellent components. CX drive is brilliant, the remote is crap to easy to double click and go up/down 2 assist levels. Bosch small chainring is difficult to clean plus will wearout quicker than fullsize ones. You need buy tools to remove it.

If you can, try a Merida 160 has had good reviews. Shimano drive is as good as Bosch and PWX while having better controls and protected display.

Offroad 1x11 is easier to use and clean compared to 2x10 plus less clutter on handlebars. If fitting dongle 2x10 would be better has higher gear range.

Last edited:
  • Informative

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Very tricky decision for you to get the right size. I'm 5' 7" and have the 44 which feels slightly too big but my wife's (5'5") has the 40 and that is too small for me, although it goes feel more agile. These are both Haibike All mountain RC's. Where you going to buy from?
Thanks for all the advice, I'm thinking that perhaps the 44cm would be the better option.

I'm currently in discussion with two shops in regard to price and availability. When I've agreed a deal with one of them I'll revisit their shop to try a 44cm and a 48cm Haibike out for size before making a final decision. I think that's the only way of being sure, no point leaving it to chance when I'm spending £3500.

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Have you tried 7.0 model, they use newer Yamaha PWX motor which has had good reviews.

I have Cube and find it great ride, excellent components. CX drive is brilliant, the remote is crap to easy to double click and go up/down 2 assist levels. Bosch small chainring is difficult to clean plus will wearout quicker than fullsize ones. You need buy tools to remove it.

If you can, try a Merida 160 has had good reviews. Shimano drive is as good as Bosch and PWX while having better controls and protected display.

Offroad 1x11 is easier to use and clean compared to 2x10 plus less clutter on handlebars. If fitting dongle 2x10 would be better has higher gear range.
Thanks for the advice Trevor. I did consider 7.0 for the PWX motor but it's a little out of my price range. Also I think the regular PW motor should be fine for me.

I think I've pretty much made my mind up now on the SDuro AllMtn 6.0. There's so much choice it's overwhelming but it seems to be near impossible to get a test ride on most of them so it's impossible to make a genuinely informed choice. So I've just picked the bike I like the look of - by no means scientific but certainly a quick and efficient decision making process! :D

Reactions: chris130256

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I'm also in between M & L all the time, but usually I go for medium, on MTB almost without considering because I like it to be playful and agile. 180 cm above the ground.

• Informative

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Put a deposit down today on the Haibike SDURO AllMtn 6.0. I went for the 48cm frame as it felt the perfect size for me. The 44cm was ok too but it felt a little on the small side for me, the handlebars especially felt quite low.

The bike isn't in stock so it won't arrive until mid May. I feel like a kid at Christmas! :)