eMTB or Touring Bike?

LesleyC

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Greece
Hi

My husband and I have recently relocated to Greece and are finding that we don’t cycle as much as we used to in the UK, as the area we now live in is hilly and some of the hills are very steep. So we are thinking of purchasing e-bikes. The most commonly found brands here are Cube and Ideal.

We will be cycling on a mix of paved roads and dirt tracks/unpaved roads. We are torn between getting hardtail mountain bikes (such as Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro and Cube Access Hybrid Pro) or touring bikes (such as Cube Cross Hybrid Pro).

Can anyone advise on which of these types of bike would best suit the terrain?

For steep hills do we need a bike using the Bosch Performance CX drive unit, or will the Bosch Active or Shimano Steps E6000 range suffice.

And finally is it worth paying extra for a 500 WH battery instead of a 400 WH ?

Many thanks

Lesley

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The frame geometry of an MTB may not be the most relaxing for longer rides. A 700c-wheeled hybrid bike might be more suited to your needs. There are plenty of tyre choices in the UK for light off-road ventures, such as the Schwalbe Land Cruiser. It's best if you try the two types, if possible.

I have both and although I love my Oxygen eMTB, I wouldn't use it for longer journeys, as the geometry isn't suited to it.

The bigger the battery, the better is my maxim.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I've got the STEPS E6010, which is plenty enough to haul my 16 stone along nicely. 418Wh battery.

Why not consider a hybrid? I wouldn't go down a mountain on mine, but it does fine with anything else.

Gaz

LesleyC

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Greece
Thanks for your comments.
I've been looking around the bike shops here in Greece today, but hardly any e-bikes in stock in my neck of the woods, so I might not even get the opportunity to test one out before buying which is a bit of a concern. I had hoped to try a hybrid as well as a mtb to see the difference.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Could you try none electric hybrids and MTBs, it won't help you decide on the E side of it, but it might help you decide which geometry might be more suitable, then you could narrrow down to what basic type of ebike you want.

Of course all models have slightly different geometry, some MTBs can be more aggressive while others more laid back, you can modify this to some degree by altering some parts of the bike, increasing the handle bar height for example .

Reactions: Warwick

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Can anyone advise on which of these types of bike would best suit the terrain?
I've been on some of the dirt roads on the Greek islands, and if it was me, I'd get a mountain bike rather than a trekking type- the better suspension and fatter tyres will make it far more comfortable, and the extra weight doesn't matter with an e-bike.
The Cube Access bikes would actually make a great choice, especially the WLS womens version, as they effectively have a more upright, trekking geometry anyway, so they can be the best of both worlds. If your husband doesn't mind the colour schemes of the WLS and he isn't too tall, he might want one as well :)
I know the smaller frame sizes are 27.5 wheels, so take Schwalbe super MotoX tyres which would be a great choice for that type of riding.

And yes, I think I would spend the extra on the 500wh battery - unless you KNOW you won't ever be doing trips more than around 30 miles or so, in which case the 400wh will be fine.

LesleyC

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Greece
I've virtually decided on the Cube Access Hybrid Pro 500. It looks as though I'm between a size 16 which has the 27.5" wheel and a size 17" which has the 29 wheel. So I've still got another decision to make!

My husband has decided on the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've virtually decided on the Cube Access Hybrid Pro 500. It looks as though I'm between a size 16 which has the 27.5" wheel and a size 17" which has the 29 wheel. So I've still got another decision to make!

My husband has decided on the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500.
One day you might appreciate interchangeability of wheels/tyres with husband's bike, so that's a small consideration.

Modern bike tyres are quite podgy - deep sidewalls - which makes a 29er something of a cartwheel.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The 27.5 will give shorter wheelbase making for more manoeuvrable bike in tight corners, plus center of gravity will be lower. 29" wheels roll better and give slightly smoother ride on rough surfaces.

LesleyC

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Greece
Thanks for all your help. One last question...
I prefer a more upright position when cycling. As I am between the size 16 (27.5") and the 17 (29") would you recommend I take the smaller or larger size bike in order to achieve this?

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
If you have a smaller bike it is usually possible to make it suit a larger rider within reason by changing the handlebar stem and seat post but a large bike can be difficult to make it fit a smaller rider because the frame and wheels are too big to start with.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a dropper post ;)

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'd disagree and go for the larger size. Reach can be shortened by fitting handlebars like the On-One Marys and a shorter stem. The saddle can be moved forward on its rails so it reduces the reach too. A smaller bike made larger can feel cramped, IME. The only proviso is the standover height. If the crossbar is going to emasculate (or the female equivalent) the rider, then it's clearly not practical.