eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
This probably isn't going to be the answer that you are looking for, but to be honest, I just get on the bike and ride it, and give no thought to the geometry of either bike. The two things that make a difference to me are tyres that have an aggressive edge pattern to the tread, and the recent addition of the dropper seat post to both bikes. I need to change the tyres on the had tail to something like Hutchinson Toros, that still offer reasonable rolling, but also have a decent side edge, which is something very desirable when riding the very narrow and rutted local terrain.

At the organised mtb bike shop ride a couple of weeks ago, I was out with a group who predominantly ride down hill. A couple of the lads were saying that I should do this, do that, and switch to a short stem.
I didn't say anything at the time, but I thought what utter ******. People, example above with SW, read far too much into what they see on the internet, and get sucked in.
My point being that yes a shorter stem would mean that I am in a potentially better position to ride down hill, but if those lads had stopped to think about it a bit more, I had never ridden down hill as such before, was riding a bike with considerably less suspension travel, and no short stem, but in the scheme of things I wasn't exactly too far behind them by the end of each run.
Of more importance is something that they and SW are missing the point of, and that is what the purpose of eMTB actually is. Surely the first and most important point, is that eMTB is designed to make climbing easier, and hopefully if desired, faster as well. By shortening the stem as suggested, you are having the opposite effect of what is desired. The bulk of my riding involves climbing, and more often than not, there is at least one climb per ride that is always very debatable about whether or not you can make it to the top. Sometimes these climbs are just metres long, sometimes they are hundreds of metres long.

I really can't say that I have yet really noticed any major difference between the two bikes, both do the job, but what I really prefer about the hardtail, is how connected and solid that everything feels. It is seemingly tighter and neater to ride, hopping over things is a doddle, it's lighter, and the rigid back end makes climbing so much better with zero squat, and I love the idea of no maintenance to the rear end. Riding the FS bike last night, didn't give me the same buzz.

Thinking about it again, there were actually two occasions that I would have preferred the FS bike on the recent South Downs ride. Once when going down a long descent across a field that had previously been used to graze cattle in, and the constant dip into the now hardened hoof prints marks, wasn't exactly comfortable. The second time was going down a long chalk track that had loads of small drops/steps.

Sorry that my reply wasn't perhaps what you were looking for, but as said, I just get on and ride. :)

Cheers Eddie - that's helpful info regardless of whether or not you notice a difference.

Great to read why you prefer the hardtail overall as those are exactly the reasons I'd like to go hardtail with my next bike, assuming my demo-ing doesn't identify any material compromises I'll be unwilling to make.

There's no doubt in my mind that full sus is overall more comfortable, but the connectedness, the tightness, the overall feeling of solidity, etc. really appeals. I'll let you know how my demo goes.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
i changed the stem because it just feels more stable for me anyway and id not go back to the one that was on it but as edd says it makes it better one way and worse the other.

id rather be more stable at speed down a hill than unstable going up it as id not be going over the handle bars going up a hill than down it.

my stem was only 30 quid so i changed it and now more stable on the bike for me anyway.
Cheers SW.

I think all bikes are compromised in some way... a downhill bike isn't a great climber and an XC hardtail with 100mm travel isn't a great downhiller. In my view, you just have to work out which bike, which geometry, which components, etc. suit you for the majority of your riding

I agree with you that altering the stem length can make quite a big difference - whether some of that is in my mind is irrelevant, it still influences how I feel about the bike, how stable the bike feels, etc. And as you say, a cheap component that is easily changeable depending on the type of riding you're doing.

And I definitely want to feel stable on the descents - that really is important to me too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fantastic great day for a ride out, conditions near perfect, strong N/E winds very refreshing and did little to hamper the riding. 77 miles covered to the downs and back. Approx 27 road miles and the rest all on the downs or farm tracks/bridleways. Lowland still a bit muddy here and there, the downs on the whole good to firm with a few large puddles. Plenty of glider activity today from Parham airfield with perfect thermal conditions and visibility. Another local outing tomorrow will bring up 200 miles and 10k of elevation gain for the week.
strava.com/activities/574914241.

Rest for Lunch on Cissbury Hill.
DSCF0387.JPG

View over to Chanchtonbury.
DSCF0389.JPG

Chanctonbury Dew pond.
DSCF0390.JPG

Chanchtonbury ring.
DSCF0397.JPG
DSCF0396.JPG

One od several soaring above the ring.
DSCF0393.JPG

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Frustratingly still not got as far across as Cissbury and Chanchtonbury. Every time that I decide to do it, the view hasn't been clear, so I've always stopped short at Devils Dyke, and not gone further.

I have all summer to get there. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Like wise I haven't yet got over to where you ride between Lewes and Eastbourne. Quite please today as on 4 or 5 occasions was easily over 30mph on down hill sections, the track that goes south past Trueleigh FM House is very fast and free wheeling , still more visits to the area to come for me as there are still tracks to explore and ride.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One part of the SD that I'm not quite so keen on is the Rodmell to Falmer section. Some of it has some lovely sections, but for some reason I have always found it a bit uninspiring. The Woodingdean - Rottingdean section is certainly not worth riding, and seems to be an area loaded with dog eggs and litter.

The climb from Southease to the radio station at Beddingham is another section that I don't enjoy either.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law.

i thought this was the uk bike section ? yet ppl posting pics of illegal bikes.

ie any bike kit you can buy you can change the 15.5mph limit via the screen or controller even tho its a 250w motor its still illegal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Soundwave I formally request that you no longer post within this thread.
I don't know why you've picked on him. There's plenty of people now on this forum that derail threads just to get onto their own agenda. We shouldn't need any special threads where people can only post censored comment. All it is is selfish people wanting everybody else to conform to their way of doing things. This forum used to be people expressing their happiness in what they did with their bikes and others helping each other to get that happiness.

Personally, I don't think you should have opened this thread the way you did. It made me feel sick. If we had more threads starting like that, I wouldn't be interested in participating anymore as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I can only assume d8veh has posted in wrong thread ??? It does not make sense otherwise..???
I don't think d8veh has posted in the wrong thread at all, I (think?) I can see where he is coming from.

There are some posters on this forum that definitely have certain agendas & DO derail threads. Some of these same posters also are the ones who preach along the lines that they have the right to take a thread in any direction they wish.

Whilst I completely understand why Eddie started his thread the way he did he has attempted to set his own rules that are inconsistent with all those other threads. Basically you can't have one member making up his / her own rules & effectively, as d8veh says, censor posters / only allow posters who agree with their views.

.d8veh have I interpreted it (roughly) right?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I can see that. The Forum is rather a free for all everywhere. Eddie is trying, now with limited success, to create a part of forum following the law and some semblance of order..
Yep see & understand that but Eddie doesn't help himself. By posting this:-
Debate this somewhere else if you wish, but not here. I'm fed up of it.

I'm removing this post later, and would prefer that no one debate this subject within this thread, but continue to post relevant photos and ride details.
he's effectively saying "I can post what I like here but I don't want you doing the same"................ Doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid.

If Eddie doesn't want to read SW's posts the ignore facility in his settings will hide them from his view. It even hides them when other people quote them - now that's clever!

• Disagree
Reactions: electrickery

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Yep see & understand that but Eddie doesn't help himself. By posting this:-
he's effectively saying "I can post what I like here but I don't want you doing the same"................ Doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid.

If Eddie doesn't want to read SW's posts the ignore facility in his settings will hide them from his view. It even hides them when other people quote them - now that's clever!
I have soundwave on the ignore list, it makes reading the other posts odd at times when I have missed his comment. I couldn't do with his home made launguage and style of writing more than what he was saying, no offence.

Not that I would know if made a comment.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so what the hell was the point of this forum if ppl still keep posting bikes with bafang kits ect that you can change the speed limit and fit throttles to them??

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
I don't normally jump in with things like this and sorry for being off topic Eddie but people should try too stay on topic or what the point in having any sections in the forum at all
Why don't you just have an open forum with anything and everything just being posts that have no meaning at all just a load of people posting stuff and ranting with no direction
Surely when a thread starts with a title the title should be stuck too as close as you can
I know we all have a wander off sometimes and things do go off topic a bit but in general how hard is it really too stay 99% on topic
I also feel this forum is missing a bit of moderating.
Eddie if you want this removing feel free to pm me and I will do so or maybe even a mod might clean up the thread and put it back on track :)

Related Articles

Advertisers