Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Took the scenic route over to see my folks today, as a shake down run, as I plan to commute on the Stooge, rather than the GTech I've been commuting on for the last 3 Months.

Bottle holder fixed to stem works well other than a very fast and bumpy stretch of bridleway, where it few off.

First time I've had a mountain bike with a rack, a must for load lugging to work though.

Looking forward to taking the long route home from work through the woods :)

IMG_20170513_162429 by fatwomble, on Flickr

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yet another morning spent trail building. I'm currently getting far more fun from riding the pedal mtb than I am eMTB's, but after having just made six minor changes to the eMTB, I figured that I had better get out and try them, or the trip to the Swiss Alps will be upon me and it'll be too late to change things back.

Not the most exciting of photos.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
G
Yet another morning spent trail building. I'm currently getting far more fun from riding the pedal mtb than I am eMTB's, but after having just made six minor changes to the eMTB, I figured that I had better get out and try them, or the trip to the Swiss Alps will be upon me and it'll be too late to change things back.

Not the most exciting of photos.

See you've updated to the purion, so much better for off road mtbing. Bike looks really nice.

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
So EddiePj,
Shorter stem, riser bar, new grips, display, haven't noticed the other two. Thought it was the ice tech rotors but you had those already looking back, maybe tokens in the suspension as you have been playing with it.....

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yep, Purion display which I like, but would prefer that the two +/- switches operated from the outer edge of the unit, not inside edge. (if that makes sense)

A 70mm stem in place of the OE 110mm. I had no issue with the 110mm stem as it always made climbing very stable and predictable, but the feeling of being a long way forward did have it's moments when descending some of the rocky drops in the Alps last year. I have recently been playing around on a bike that had a 35mm stem fitted, but decided that I didn't like the stem being that short in respect of climbing. 70mm seemed like a good compromise between the two, and it seemingly felt good this morning, but I have yet to climb or descend anything exceptionally steep.

The handlebars was a slightly reluctant change as I much prefer flat handlebars. I rode with the flat bars last week with the 70mm stem and it gave a bit of tension in my shoulders, so I figured that I had nothing to loose by trying a set of bars with a 20mm rise that I had kicking around. I shortened them to 680mm, as that width has proved optimum for my use, and anything wider just feels awkward and gorilla like, and presents issue with tree strike when out in my local woodland. The combination today seemed pretty good, but until I try a long ride, I can't say for sure.

The Ritchey WCS grips are fantastic. I bought them ages ago, after noting that many of the UCI cross country teams run them, and had planned to fit them to the hardtail, but just never got around to it. I have been having a few hand pain issues lately, and fitting the grips has already made a world of difference. I now just need to order a couple more pairs for the other two bikes. Downside is the obvious vulnerability of foam in the event of an off, or possible water absorption, but I'll worry about this at the time.

Next change was simply swapping my Ragley Tracker saddle from the hardtail eMTB to this bike. Nothing major, but I fancied a bit more comfort.

Final change was again just a swap of a component. I swapped my cheaper Shimano spd pedals that were fitted to this bike, with a pair of XT pedals that were on the hardtail. In truth, other than these pedals requiring a hex key to remove, rather than a spanner, I can't tell any difference.

One final change that I would like to make, but which is subject to cost, is the removal of the fork remote. I hate fork remote switches, and don't require one, but until the forks are stripped, costing cannot be made, as it appears that some internals are different. As this is purely a cosmetic change, I'm not going to be wasting money on it. I just like a clutter free handlebar set up.

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Yep, Purion display which I like, but would prefer that the two switches operated from the outer edge of the unit, not inside edge. (if that makes sense)

70mm stem in place of the OE 110mm. I had no issue with the 110mm stem as it always made climbing very stable and predictable, but the feeling of being a long way forward did have it's moments when descending some of the rocky drops in the Alps last year. I have recently been playing around on a bike that a 35mm stem, but decided that I didn't like the stem being that short in respect of climbing. 70mm seemed like a good compromise between the two, and it seemingly felt good this morning, but I have yet to climb or descend anything exceptionally steep.

The handlebars was a slightly reluctant change as I much prefer flat handlbars, or even slightly dropped bars. I rode with the flat bars last week with the 70mm stem and it gave a bit of tension in my shoulders, so I figured that I had nothing to loose by trying a set of bars with a 20mm rise that I had kicking around. I shortened them to 680mm, as that width has proved optimum for my use, and anything wider just feels awkward, and presents many issues with tree strike when out in my local woodland. The combination today seemed pretty good, but until I try a long ride, I can't say for sure.

The Ritchey WCS grips are fantastic. I bought them ages ago, after noting that many of the UCI cross country teams run them, and had planned to fit them to the hardtail, but just never got around to it. I have been having a few hand pain issues lately, and fitting the grips has already made a world of difference. I now just need to order a couple more pairs for the other two bikes. Downside is the obvious vulnerability of foam in the event of an off, or possible water absorption, but I'll worry about this at the time.

Next change was simply swapping my Ragley Tracker saddle from the hardtail eMTB to this bike. Nothing major, but I fancied a bit more comfort.

Final change was again just a swap of a component. I swapped my cheaper Shimano spd pedals that were fitted to this bike, with a pair of XT pedals that were on the hardtail. In truth, other than these pedals requiring a hex key to remove, rather than a spanner, I can't tell any difference.

One final change that I would like to make, but which is subject to cost, is the removal of the fork remote. I hate fork remote switches, and don't require one, but until the forks are stripped, costing cannot be made, as it appears that some internals are different. As this is purely a cosmetic change, I'm not going to be wasting money on it. I just like a clutter free handlebar set up.
EddiePJ, I love a cluttered handle bar setup. I am gadget MAD :mad: like my rival and competitor LeighPing. I hope that he doesn't see this thread.

MS.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
You spent your time amonst the bluebells and wild garlic. IR772, the wife and myself did too today but where we were, I've never seen such a wide expanse of bluebells. 25 acres in one hit? Amazing. Photos later.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772 and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a 50mm stem on my bike but still want it shorter as i like my bars as close to over the top of the forks as possible.

now with purion it gives the option to use any stem as the old display dont have to fit over it ;)

DSC_0714_02.JPG

you still need to work on ur cable management tho:D

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im getting a magura electric one as cant be arsed anymore with bleeding it and a 90 quid service is just not worth it for that post.;)

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Hey wave...just a word on the magura...mines gone to poop..doesn,t rise up fully anymore...seems like it,s sticking or summit..i binned the receipt an packaging..silly..silly me..otherwise I,d send it back..do you think it might need bleeding or something??..me mate got one an his works fine....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the seat clamp could be to tight and check the air psi with a shock pump 189-218.

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
I get a ribbing for my 'narrow' 760mm bars from my contemporaries! Did you try the riser bars before cutting them down? You may find your shoulders are closing in with the shorter stem and narrow bars causing the tension.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
the seat clamp could be to tight and check the air psi with a shock pump 189-218.
My seat post clamp is pretty tight..actually it,s very tight..takes some doing to push in it fully....I,ll check that out ....thanks...I have a shock pump an the pressure stays about the same...15psi....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah sounds like it is way to tight as you dont need much force to clamp the seat post think its 7nm if that.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I get a ribbing for my 'narrow' 760mm bars from my contemporaries! Did you try the riser bars before cutting them down? You may find your shoulders are closing in with the shorter stem and narrow bars causing the tension.
I used them last year and then removed them.

The tension was when using the flat bars with the short stem, although the ride today was limited, all seemed okay.

I would struggle to go any wider even if I wanted to. The local woodland routes are just too tight to run wide bars, and even with my short bars, the hands still take a knock or so on every ride. When I have ridden with lads with wide bars, they often have to stop to negotiate around the trees.

It is the kind of terrain that I really like, and the routes are kept intentionally tight at various points, to avoid unwanted attention. All good stuff. :)

I wonder if anyone has documented the optimum handlebar width and shape V stem length/rise etc.
It could make for some very in-depth reading.

edit.. These two night shots kind of shows the terrain better than I could explain it. The fun is in picking your route and line, and just seeing where you end up! :)

Last edited:

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
i'd heard the electronic seat post had niggles as well, so left well alone.

my preference was a 70mm stem as a good compromise, with a riser/sweep bar in carbon to take a little bit more vibration out. finished with some ergo handles. this gives me confidence climbing and downhill.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only thing i can find is some ppl dont like the delay from the remote but id take that over bleeding this thing every 8 weeks and its just getting worse.

and no wires :)

Related Articles

Advertisers