eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A few pics from today's 85 miler. Nice bright & breezy conditions with good views today.

Chanctonbury Ring.
DSCF0888.JPG

Came across this bullet riddled tank chassis.
DSCF0893.JPG
DSCF0894.JPG

Some of natures fine tasty Blackberries this time of year makes snacking essential.
DSCF0895.JPG

A purple sea of Field Scabious.
DSCF0896.JPG

View from Sompting. Offshore wind farm steadily growing I counted sometime ago some 100 turbine plinths being prepared.
DSCF0900.JPG

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Near to my mothers in worthing and on the way to my brothers in brighton, will take the bikes when i next visit i think. Nicer day than we had here.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Lucky you to get to cycle there. I need to find places like that. I can well imagine druidic practices going on on that hill. I hope no dog cocked its leg on those blackberries.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not knowing your area but there must be a few gems to ride with in 10/20 miles. There must be some National Parks/moorland open space to ride. Most of the S/downs are accessible with open roaming on farm land/trails.
The black berries were a little off the usual beaten track though a keen rambling dog walker would probably pass by, the pic though was for generalisation. I pick mine from higher up or in the thick of the hedges. The true beauty and best riding of the downs is to found off the SDW and on the 100's of tracks and bridleways criss crossing the landscape.
Not far away is another and more impressive iron age landmark the Cissbury ring with a defensive ditch that is complete around it, it's impressiveness needs to be viewed from an aerial pic. On a time line scale Chanctonbury's beech trees are a newer addition and planted there in the 1760's as an enhancement to the area, though some what decimated by the 1987 hurricane.
The only downside for me is I have to ride a min of 18 miles to get to the base of the downs, so envy Kistin and Darren just a little as they only need to open their front door to be there.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nealh, where is the location of the tank?
If I remember rightly it was well before I hit the boggy quagmire of Angmering Park. So somewhere between the SDW / Kithurst Hill area and before Wepham Down along the bridleway ( Grid ref 070119).

Reactions: EddiePJ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well done Eddie.
It made me look for further info 'Kithurst Hill Tank' and apparently was abandoned by a Canadian tank regiment before D-day after it broke down, then used by the Canadian's for firing practice hence the bullet hole damage using armour piercing bullets. It was rolled into a crater and buried after the war and then dug out in 93 by REME for spares, parts used in restoration work at Bovingdon rtank museum. The rest is history and the tank was left in situ as a relic and makes for a great artefact on a downs trek.

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
The true beauty and best riding of the downs is to found off the SDW and on the 100's of tracks and bridleways criss crossing the landscape.
Yeah. I have a desire to find the hidden away, rarely used tracks rather than just the well designated cycleways. I love remote farm tracks but I don't want to trespass so need to find the ancient rights of way. I think I'm looking for deep tranquility.

I have a thing about hill forts. Visiting a bunch of them is on my bucket list. I'm not sure how hill forts and ebikes go together. One hopes you can cycle slowly...respectfully up to the top of them on whatever designated paths there are.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've ridden on Cissbury Hill a grand feature on the landscape with no complaints. Lunch, drink, a camera and respect for the surroundings but then again I only ride on weekdays leaving the weekenders to them selves.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Went out this morning to test my extender battery, the local test hill is 10km long with a 1000m height difference, so 10% average gradient. Started the climb with 90% showing and finished with 60% showing. I did make the motor do more work than usual just to give it a thorough test. New battery is 375Wh paralleled with my 400wh Yamaha.

Screenshot_20170813-124603.png 20170812_145900.jpg

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Went out too but not as high as you Chris, 40 miles, didn't rush it, average speed about 15 mph nice day had.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you just need a permanent marker for the qr leaver ;) i got rid of mine as looked like a wart lol ;)

Reactions: Steve A

Related Articles

Advertisers