eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yet another night ride in the freezing cold! The conditions were once again pretty technical in places, with a mix of mud and ice.

A nice little slid to fall. Whoops!!
Even before this slip, I was thinking that riding on my own at this time of the year, miles from anywhere, isn't possibly the smartest of ideas.

Cleaning will have to wait until I defrost the hose pipe tomorrow.

I've had icier rims, but was still surprised to see this at all tonight.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need a tank ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The perfect way to end the year, with a very wet afternoon ride in the local playground.

Sadly I cut the ride short at 10 miles with an elevation gain of 1,325ft as I lost track of time, and thought that it was an hour later than it was, and didn't have my lights with me. It was still one of the best rides of the year, in my favourite riding conditions, of tracks awash with water, and streams that are questionably too high to ride across.

And I have permission. :)

The sign of a good ride.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My end of year ride in Belmont regional park. Was 58km loop from home, with about 30kms of flat riding which I mainly do with motor off. Finally manage to ride it end to end, mostly farm land. The climb to 400 trig point is 2.6km, was tough enough in eco would be gut bust on normal bike. Did make me realise I've lost a bit fitness lately.

Reactions: EddiePJ

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
The perfect way to end the year, with a very wet afternoon ride in the local playground.
I thought you were just determined to not let the weather stop you from going out. I didn't realise you preferred claggy conditions. Why do you?

Given what you ride in, I'm surprised you don't have tyres with bigger knobs.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Riding in bright sunshine in the Alps is easily my favourite of riding conditions, but the conditions yesterday were or are some of my favourite.

When it is as wet and rainy as it was yesterday, the mud doesn't tend to cling to the bike or tyre, as it is constantly washed off, so making riding pretty easy.
I also love riding stream beds, and with the tracks being washed out, it gives a similar riding experience.
In the Surrey hills, there is a mile or so long old stream bed that once again floods at this time of year, and it is brilliant fun to ride. Sadly I don't know the area at all well, so have only come across it, when taking part, in organised rides.

There was slight one bugbear yesterday, and that was that three lads on quads were also out in the woodland, tearing about. One plus point with it was that they were cutting ruts that made riding easier when climbing, but also these same ruts caused issue when riding down hill, as they were impossible not to follow, and made things unpredictable, which is where your comment about tyre choice comes in. The front Nobby Nic as fitted to this bike, doesn't have enough lugs on the side, so the ride becomes rather interesting!
The pedal bike has a Magic Mary on the front, so not so much of an issue or concern.
I used to make a big thing about using tyres dedicated for mud use, such the WTB Vigilante, and Hutchinson DZO, but both are heavy and both drag. In the case of the WTB, it was also near on impossible to remove.
I have since learnt that I don't need tyres with excessive grip, and adjusting tyre pressure can deal with most things. One of the pedal bikes still runs a Rocket Ron on the rear and summer type Racing Ralph on the front. I actually really enjoy the ride that I get from this bike when things are very muddy, as it tests and massively improves my skills. You have to be so much more aware of what you are doing and where you are going, and I get a weird satisfaction from it. I enjoy speed, but prefer slow and technical terrain, trials riding fashion, so again, having a loose feeling bike beneath me, works very well for me. I guess that I enjoy testing and challenging myself. :)

Poorly inadequate tyres, but brilliant fun.

Compare those to that of the Giant. On this bike the tyre choice was made on the basis of a different requirement from the bike.

Last edited:

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
A short bimble up Bredon Hill today turned into a dismal slog through Eddie's favorite conditions...
Before;
Lazy(2).jpg
During:
Lazy.jpg After;lazy(1).jpg

Reactions: EddiePJ

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
The climb up from Elmley Castle was so bad I ended up pushing! The middle photo was taken just after that. The descent was somewhat sketchy and I ended up doing it twice...
The Nobby Nics are useless in those conditions, Magic Marys would have been better. I was getting wheelspin regardless of gear and assistance level.

On the subject of pushing, the Walk Mode didn't seem to make any difference. When engaged I was expecting the chain to be driven, but it wasn't.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can sympathise with you in those conditions. I have had to push the bike on more than one occasions when things get so clogged up, and the wheels won't even turn. It soon drains your energy doing so.

With walk assist, you need to select a high gear to make any significant forward progress. I suspect that it might not have really helped you very much when things get that bad. It is one of the reasons that I prefer riding in the rain when things are that bad. The mud doesn't stick.

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I actually really enjoy the ride that I get from this bike when things are very muddy, as it tests and massively improves my skills. You have to be so much more aware of what you are doing and where you are going, and I get a weird satisfaction from it.
My concern with toothiness on tyres is not so much avoiding sliding (I've been surprised by how I can stay upright in muddy terrain with daft tyres if I'm careful) but actually being able to progress. When I fail to get up a slope or along a track due to it being spongy I wonder if knobby tyres would let me get pulled up/along. It's possible that I'm overestimating the abilities of such tyres to neutralise soft ground though. I may just have to try it and see.

Related Articles

Advertisers