eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Solrighal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
Solrighal, ouch hope it heals soon. My right knee, from the 12 th January, still has a scabby bit, but I will not be picking it off it was too deep a wound. Left hand needing physio, but still able to do and ride.
Hi Dom. It's healing pretty well I think, thanks. It stings like hell when I attempt to walk right now though. I was pretty lucky to be fair, as I was going way too fast for that section. I thought I had recced the route fairly well on the way up but this bend didn't have a berm in it like all the others do.

When I got the e-bike it reminded me what it was like to be 12 again. Unfortunately I forgot that aged 12 I fell off a bit. Lesson learned.

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
New owner checking in. Cube HPA Race 160 which has just had its first proper outing at Cannock (lots of other e-bikes around). The difference from my "normal" bike is phenomenal. Usually I am hundreds of metres back from my mates with them having to wait whilst I cough up a lung or two, almost puke and recover. In eco mode 95% of the time (occasional push into tour mode on steeper bits) I was able to stay directly on the tail of the fastest climber.

Battery range was a weird one. The range available started at 56 miles with full battery. After doing the full figure of 8 loop (15 miles or so?) the range remaining was reading 10 miles, but the battery had only just dropped from 4 out of 5 bars to 3 out of 5 bars... so surely I had much more than 10 miles left? Seems I'll have to get some experience of using this and see what I learn.

If, like me, you're getting on a bit and aren't as fit as you used to be, but you like the downhills and being out with your mates then I can heartily recommend an e-MTB. It is transformational.

PS. No idea why images don't work - I just see

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if ur saddle is that high that bike is way to small for you.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
if ur saddle is that high that bike is way to small for you.
22" Cube. Largest they do. The (replacement) dropper post is further in than the one supplied with the bike. Cubes are notorious for being short and tall, but ironically the bike is longer than my previous one.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Lovely day just for a gravel path bike ride. Only 22 miles as my hand still hurts, but nice enough.
2nd photo is my bike 3rd is hubbies.
Solrighal,
Didn't take photo's of my injuries this time, but I did end up in A&E, 7 hours (love the NHS), in the hospital we both work in. Plaster cast for a few days on my wright wrist/arm. It's pins, needles and numbness, think I've got some tendon damage. I have to wait for physio now :(.
Heyho if it's damaged it's damaged not much I can do about that.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Lovely ride to work today. 16 miles of great tracks in bright sunshine.
Ride to work 07 02 18 002.JPG Field at Lower Eashing
Ride to work 07 02 18 003.JPG
Shackleford Heath
Ride to work 07 02 18 006.JPG
Bit of Surrey mud at Redhill Plantation that I skirted around the left hand side of but I am sure EddiePJ would have ploughed through the middle of. Also to show EddiePJ that my routes to work do occasionally come across some mud.
Ride to work 07 02 18 009.JPG
Duck! Low flying tree. 16 miles to work and 10 miles back home on the road. Hopefully the same again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Solrighal

Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
Lovely day just for a gravel path bike ride. Only 22 miles as my hand still hurts, but nice enough.
2nd photo is my bike 3rd is hubbies.
Solrighal,
Didn't take photo's of my injuries this time, but I did end up in A&E, 7 hours (love the NHS), in the hospital we both work in. Plaster cast for a few days on my wright wrist/arm. It's pins, needles and numbness, think I've got some tendon damage. I have to wait for physio now :(.
Heyho if it's damaged it's damaged not much I can do about that.
That's not so good mate, I hope it improves for you. My injuries are relatively minor in comparison.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
but I did end up in A&E, 7 hours (love the NHS), in the hospital we both work in.
When I had to go to Casualty (I'm reluctant to call it by its Americanised rebranded name) after a bike tumble I was called after ten minutes. The foot doc must have been under utilised, thank The Lord. I've experienced a four hour wait before but seven is just hard to imagine. :eek:

Every time someone has to wait an hour over one hour, all government ministers should receive a slap across the face.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
When I had to go to Casualty (I'm reluctant to call it by its Americanised rebranded name) after a bike tumble I was called after ten minutes. The foot doc must have been under utilised, thank The Lord. I've experienced a four hour wait before but seven is just hard to imagine. :eek:

Every time someone has to wait an hour over one hour, all government ministers should receive a slap across the face.
Sad to hear. We have also very long waiting time for public healthcare [emoji22]

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

Frobisher

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2017
For those looking in here who may be in the same boat I was a month or so back (i.e. "what will an e-mtb do for me and what will it be capable of with regard to steep slopes, etc.") I can report that I am amazed by its performance. I have the Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPA Race (it received its first compliment on the trails yesterday - I heard someone say to his mate, "that's a nice looking bike..." as I went past) with the 500kWh battery.

So far have only used it at Cannock as we are yet to venture further afield. I'm 100kg and not the fittest. I could just about get up the steep climbs at Cannock with my old bike but not with any speed and I would be exhausted and close to vomiting for a few minutes afterwards. So far I've managed all of the climbs there in Eco mode with the very occasional switch into tour mode on steeper sections (20-30 metres at most, then back into Eco). Yesterday I was getting to the top of hills after cycling up at 7-8mph in eco mode and was only breathing a bit hard at the top. Let me reiterate; I am old, heavy and not fit. This bike is simply transformational.

My serious mountainbiking mate doesn't like Cannock as it is "constant pedalling" - he thinks there are very few sections where you can have proper downhill, etc (he's wrong, there are many sections but it's not as distinct with its uphills and downhills as other trail centres like Llandegla and Coed-y-Brenin). This thing breezes around without breaking sweat in Eco mode and without killing me. If I get really lazy and stick it in sports or turbo mode it is simply ridiculous and goes uphill with the slightest of effort.

One full loop of Cannock (15 miles or so) used less than half a battery for me. Will be interesting to see how much the drag up out of the car park at Llandegla will affect it!

In short - if you're thinking about it - just do it. I've yet to receive any abuse from anyone for "cheating" but I'm not a dick to people I pass going uphill so that probably helps.

Reactions: Gaz and Solrighal

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Now that was the toughest 36 miles that I have ridden for a very long time! Conditions were perfect for the first 15 miles or so, with frozen ground, but thawing made conditions less than pleasant to ride in.
I had to cut the ride short, as the non original equipment Rockshox Reverb dropper post failed at the 30 mile point. I'm so glad that I don't own a Rocky Mountain. There is no way that with it's semi enclosed chain case, and mess of idler/pulley wheels, that it could have made any progress in today's conditions. The Bosch CX just kept ploughing through regardless, and even the SRAM rear mech somehow still did it's job. A credit to both.

A few miles into the ride, before things thawed out too much.

Not so good after the thaw!

Amazing weather though.

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Got some fatter tyres. Was not pleased with Jumbo Jim's. They are made to be as light as possible. But they don't provide so much grip and they don't last so long either. So I thought, since it as an eBike. That I could use some heavier tyres with more studs. So I got these Minions 4.8". Very pleased with them, have used them for a while now on snow and mud and everything. Feels much better, both the bounce-effect and the grip. And they seem to last better too.

P1040179.jpg

Reactions: Solrighal

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
Nice shot of Malham Cove there Keith. Bet you enjoyed the climb out from where the photo was taken. Have ridden it many times on my Whyte 46, its certainly a lung buster. Have yet to visit the area with my ebike, but certainly looking forward to it, all routes out of Malham to the north are steep!

Another good climb is up to The Calf in the Howgills, done one morning a couple of weeks ago.

Howgills.jpg IMG_20180126_103647.jpg

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers