eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Pride comes before!!!

I had a bizarre slow speed slide ending in a fall to my left hand side on my ride to work on Sunday afternoon where I managed to trap my foot in my left hand pedal and in so doing over extend my left leg and damage the upper part of my ham string.

I had fallen off at pretty much walking pace and found myself rolling around in absolute agony on a muddy bridal path about halfway along my 16 mile off road route to work.

As I ride off road a lot I have fallen off my bike before and expected to be able to get back on my feet once the pain had subsided and carry on my way.

This time however to start with I could not even manage to get myself on my feet. After eventually getting myself gingerly on my feet it was pretty much impossible to load bear on my left leg.

Anyway I managed to eventually get the bike upright and came to the conclusion that although I might not be able to walk I might be able to ride using mostly one leg with the power turned up.

This did in fact get me to work and showed me how an ebike can allow you to ride with an injury to one leg which would have been impossible on an ordinary bike. I did use a lot more battery than usual.

A work colleague gave me a lift home, and I then drove back to get the bike.

A trip to a NHS minor injuries place the next day confirmed that I had torn/pulled my ham string and that it would take about 4 weeks to recover.

When I explained that I had an electric bike the nurse thought that I could continue to ride when I felt up to it as keeping the leg mobile would be helpful as long as I did not push too hard on that leg.

The leg has improved a lot since Sunday so I can sort of see the funny side now.

One thought I have had since is that as my main exercise now is cycling my bike to work and back and although my leg muscles are well developed by this continual exercise I should try to remember to also do some muscle stretching as well, as a lot of cycling with no stretching can lead to tight muscles and a vulnerability to this type of injury.

When younger I have tweaked my hamstring on quite a few occasions playing sport but nothing quite as painful as this!

Reactions: oyster

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry to hear that Georgehenry. Sadly cycle does the hamstrings and quads no favours at all really. My quads are very weak, and hamstrings very tight.

Kangoo jumps is working brilliantly for me, as is yoga, but I certainly look stupid at the end of the Kangoo jumps class when all of the girls are carrying out leg stretches with ease, whilst I am struggling and can't even do some of them. So much for girls being the weaker sex. :D

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Slow speed crashes end in more injury than high speed crashes.
My last two slow speed crashes ended in broken ribs. First left then a year or so later right.
Think it is to do with slow speed you stop dead and take all the kinetic
energy through your body. In high speed you tend to dissipate the energy as you can decelerate (unless you hit something lol).
Ebike will be great to ease back into exercise.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can certainly vouch for that one*.

After taking several 100mph plus crashes whilst racing both in SS400 and GP250, in can safely say that my worst injury was at about 3mph when the side of my knee hit the cross bar of the cycle frame, when I slipped on roots. That injury took over two years to heal. :(

*With luck being on my side.

Reactions: oyster

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Thanks for your good wishes. I do some walking with my son but had also thought about YOGA to supplement my cycling but had not got further than the thinking bit. This might be the spur required.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yoga is a tricky one. I have been very lucky, in that my yoga teacher is also my chiropractor. The class is a very chilled afair, with a lovely bunch of people. The teacher understands the limitations of what each of us can or can't do, and that helps greatly. Sadly, it can take a while to find a class that you might enjoy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for your good wishes. I do some walking with my son but had also thought about YOGA to supplement my cycling but had not got further than the thinking bit. This might be the spur required.
Sounds like Eddie's got the right idea oggling the girls :oops:, on the pretext of extra fitness classes o_O.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Sounds like Eddie's got the right idea oggling the girls :oops:, on the pretext of extra fitness classes o_O.
I also do yoga. It is fantastic for your body. Balancing up so above kind of thing would be better. You notice where you need more. It is the "boring"/though exercises. Keep doing them! [emoji3]

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

Reactions: EddiePJ

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That looked fun argoose.

Following my off, I did a 24 mile round trip to work including 14 off road miles yesterday with no ill effects so I must have pulled rather than torn my hamstring and it is improving very quickly. It is obviously a bit tight and painful on occasion but I notice this more when walking rather than riding.

I will have to remember to stretch my leg muscles more frequently but I find it easy to forget.

Reactions: EddiePJ and oyster

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
The wet roots were a bit 50p , 5p.
had a lot on start of week, was glad to get out.
planned on riding Twrch trail at cwmcarn, but trail diversions and team Saracen with Danny Hart having a session there saw me back on local tracks.
Alternating hot and cold compress's
Along with ibuprofen should ease the pain.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Lies Damned lies and statistics

16 miles off mostly off road route to work used 32% of my battery giving a theoretical range of 50 miles from my 400Wh battery.

10 miles home on the road used 40% giving a theoretical range of 25 miles

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lies Damned lies and statistics

16 mile off mostly off road route to work used 32% of my battery giving a theoretical range of 50 miles from my 400Wh battery.

10 miles home on the road used 40% giving a theoretical range of 25 miles
Which just goes to show how tired you are when you ride home! :)

Related Articles

Advertisers