eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My above post was slightly misleading.

I am undoubtedly more tired after work for my ride home. However I allow more time for for xc route to work and ride in a very different way. I ride in eco and for a few sections where gradients allow have the motor off.

Off road I am enjoying my surroundings and the technical nature of some of the tracks with no interest in higher speeds. Well a bit, there is a steep downhill section with a loose surface which I career down and have glanced at the speed to see well over 20mph, but the motor is off for that bit.

For the ride home on the road I want to aim to average 20mph +or- a mile an hour and use the higher standard power setting to get me up steeper hills quicker to keep my average up but inevitably use more battery.

I bought my bike to commute to work and back on and needed it be able to cope with my off road route and also be a good road bike for getting home .

Inevitably there are compromises. If I just used it off road I would have lower gearing and off road specific tyres run at lower pressures. But overall it manages to fulfill both roles really well.

My bike is one month shy of three years old now with 8382 miles covered. I feel like I am starting to get a bit of value now for my initial outlay of £1750.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We got a serious amount of snow now! First time I really needed my new 4.8" tyres :)
We had enough powdery hail/snow for the road to be white for about ten minutes a week or two ago. And that is it so far. Had been hoping even my 2.6" tyres might have had a job to do at some point. :-(

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Fixed my electrical installation a little today, removed throttle and brake sensors, now there was no problems fitting the controller and leftover cables in the saddle bag and close the lid correctly! Very nice! (don't look too much at the battery installation, that frame was not there before a crash I had)

P1040390.jpg

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I did two full laps of the Verderers, then a third up to Swallowvallets and onto Launchpad and Countdown. And then Countdown again.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
We got a serious amount of snow now! First time I really needed my new 4.8" tyres :)
We finally have some snow here now as well. I can't wait to get back out again tonight for some forest riding fun. I also can't believe just how much grip that plus size tyres give on the snow and slush covered roads. Superb fun. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deere John

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
The siberian cold front is upon us. We have very cold and the snow is now packed hard and no melts and such. Fantastic! Doesn't get much better! :)

Actually, today I was out on a lake (near the one on the photo) and was Ice skating. It was great, two years ago! :) but this thread is about biking so enjoy the biking photos here! :)

20180226_154108.jpg

20180226_165911.jpg

20180226_163730.jpg

20180226_171519.jpg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I must admit that I chickened out of my ride to work early this morning as the roads away from my house looked really treacherous.

I thought they might improve once I got on a slightly more main road, but took the car and I was glad that I did as all the roads all the way to work were covered in a dusting of snow with a very slippy surface underneath, I felt the back of the car step out on a couple of occasions. I think I was probably the first or second car over them.

Driving home after my shift around 1:00pm was all sunny and super if cold riding conditions. Discretion rather than velour on this occasion.

Then though very tired after work I felt obliged to ride the bike to reduce the charge level down from 100% as I do not like leaving a battery at 100% too long.. Once cycling I woke up and enjoyed myself.

Great photos EddiePJ and Deere John.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've given it a miss today as well.

I can be off road and riding within a minute, but didn't fancy chancing the icy road ride. I did spend half an hour plus with the hot air gun, de-icing and drying the bike. The brakes were still locked solid, and it took a surprising amount of time to get them working properly again.

Assuming that it snows again tonight, I could well head back out again tomorrow at some stage, but beyond that, I shall just pass it by until it isn't a slushy mess. I enjoy riding in snow, enjoy ring in mud, but not the two combined.

As an aside, I can't speak highly enough of my BBB Arctic Duty overshoes. I use them for most of the year round anyway, but they really came into their own yesterday. My feet remained completely dry and as warm as they were ever going to be.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
One "luxury problem" we have now... it's too cold for the batteries if you wanna be on the safe side. The Bosch Powerpack is specified for -10 degree C. But today we had -16!! Holy moly! And I moved south because I don't like winter :) but it is ok now, don't complain. Just that I wanted my pack to be happy as well.

So I made this ghetto mod with a bubble plast wrap! :) four layers! It did wonder actually. Pack use to feel really cold the other days when it even was warmer weather. But this morning the pack felt lukewarm, so I guess I will use this a few days now (and suddenly I wish I didn't have tape wrapped the charge connector on frame, have to remove pack each time, but I can live with that :) )

P1040429.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

More night ride shots to follow tomorrow.

Looks great Eddie nowhere near like it where I'm at, currently a part from the bitter wind there is zilch to indicate snow is around. Hoping there's a few inches in the morn when I get up so I can go to the local forests for a 20 mile run out.

Related Articles

Advertisers