Endurance Grips

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
s-l300.jpg Does anyone use endurance grips, like those pictured. (ignoring the colour). What are the advantage/purpose of them, thought about getting a set for the MTB, only to see if they would assist with peddling whilst standing, but to me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I would be interested to hear what other think.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hmm, mine aren't quite like those ones. But I do like the wider grips for comfort.

0.JPG 1.JPG DSC01463.JPG 3.JPG

What do you see as being their disadvantages?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi LeighPing, the ones I posted a picture off have a right angled addition at the ends. Disadvantages would be,

1 - they will catch branches, undergrowth etc if you were close enough.
2 - if you did come off there is a definite additional "spike" to land on.... ouch
3 - you would have difficulty operating the brake levers if you were holding the extension, ....to name a few.

Yours are more like the ones shown but without the 90 extension on the end. They also look more comfortable on the hands if you were out for hours so I might look into those. I can't really see an advantage of the 90 degree ones, unless someone can convince me other wise.

How do you find those grips you have on a long day...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there called bar ends and They went out of fashion about 20 years ago partly due to looking stoooopid on riser bars.

DSC_0714_02.JPG
there lock on odi grips ;)

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi LeighPing, the ones I posted a picture off have a right angled addition at the ends. Disadvantages would be,

1 - they will catch branches, undergrowth etc if you were close enough.
2 - if you did come off there is a definite additional "spike" to land on.... ouch
3 - you would have difficulty operating the brake levers if you were holding the extension, ....to name a few.

Yours are more like the ones shown but without the 90 extension on the end. They also look more comfortable on the hands if you were out for hours so I might look into those. I can't really see an advantage of the 90 degree ones, unless someone can convince me other wise.

How do you find those grips you have on a long day...
Without them the heel of my hand hurts. I really like them. :)

Reactions: Ballynoes

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I covered at least 1,000 miles with those in the OP, for only a couple of quid from China I thought I'd have a go.
When out on long rides and your hands get uncomfortable the bar ends give more hand position options for a bit of relief.
The rubber part is harder than you'd like so decent padded gloves are recommended and I never got caught by branches (even in the woods;))
I'm now useing foam grips, supper comfortable and at 99p a disposable accessory :cool:

• Informative

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
  • Useful

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I use the wider grips like ergon gp1 . No bar ends, no use to me and I do think they look a wee bit silly on a mtb

However I have the decalthlon copies of ergon, 15 quid mislabeled as 5.99 in My local store ;)

They are very good. About 3 months use and very happy

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I use the Ergon GP2 grips which also have the stubby bar ends but I've used bar ends on and off for many years mainly for the change of grip they afford on long all day rides I also have a rack on my Cube Reaction SLT so obviously I'm not bothered so much about looks. If I was going for just a quick blast on a downhill course things may be different. Comfort rules.

• Informative

Related Articles

Advertisers