Enthusiastic Forum !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well, no-one could ever accuse us all of not being enthusiastic and passionate about our hobby and there is no doubt that this is a really great forum with a wealth of help and information there for all.
Its also a public forum where members are able to post their opinions freely, as long as conforming with the T&C's of the site, and showing respect for other peoples opinions and their right to have and express them.

Now I am certainly up for some written repartee' and banter along with the rest of you......
there seems to be, however, a tiny, tiny minority who simply cannot accept this without resorting to innuendos, ridiculous theories, veiled insults and name calling......

Personally, I find it highly amusing, this vision I have of certain 'men'........getting themselves all riled up over such silly things, after all.....these are BIKES we are talking about, not open heart surgery or peace talks in the middle east......

Its very easy to hide behind a computer screen on an anonymous forum, I much prefer a face to face encounter......
So if anyone has any argument with me regarding my bike, my posts, the way I type... or anything else they might have taken offence at..... ROFLMAO ;).....as I said in a previous post......I really really hope there is a Presteigne meet this year......where I will be happily wearing my name badge and more than willing to have a discussion in person ..... I so love a good debate ....and I certainly dont need or want to hide behind an anonymous keyboard.......so, go on,

'make my day ' :cool:

Lynda :)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Sorry If my comment about your typing offended you Lynda it really wasn't intentional.
It is after all a forum. Not an English lecture on how to write the perfect letter / E-mail.

However you are completely right. Most people would be completely different in a face to face discussion. Even if the views of each person are opposing and they felt passionate about their view.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hey Scottyf......it certainly wasnt you I was getting at LOL

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Hi Lynda I apologise regarding your comment about the size of someones Winnku:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Once again I am left completely mystified. Is someone offended? I wonder if you can get a degree in being offended nowadays?

Seriously, Could someone explain to me how anyone can be loyal to a make of something? Some massive corporation builds something thousands of miles away from you, you buy one and then feel affection for it?

I have a Kalkhoff Tasman, a Brompton and I've just bought a Specialized Allez drop bar sports bike. I like all of them but...they are just my choice. I have no reason to think they are any better or any worse than anyone else's bikes. Oh dear, what have I said? I am just going outside. I may be some time.......

If my allusion to Oates offends anyone, I am very sorry. Also, if my apology offends anyone I am sorry. If I have offended anyone and they say so, I will in turn be offended.

Does this make me a repeat offender :eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Once again I am left completely mystified. Is someone offended? I wonder if you can get a degree in being offended nowadays?

Seriously, Could someone explain to me how anyone can be loyal to a make of something? Some massive corporation builds something thousands of miles away from you, you buy one and then feel affection for it?

I have a Kalkhoff Tasman, a Brompton and I've just bought a Specialized Allez drop bar sports bike. I like all of them but...they are just my choice. I have no reason to think they are any better or any worse than anyone else's bikes. Oh dear, what have I said? I am just going outside. I may be some time.......

If my allusion to Oates offends anyone, I am very sorry. Also, if my apology offends anyone I am sorry. If I have offended anyone and they say so, I will in turn be offended.

I dont know.....you repeat offenders :).....come back inside Lemmy haha...:D

Well, I am certainly not offended, I think I did say I find it amusing......

Nothing at all to do with bike likes or dislikes.....brand loyalty or anything else......
just down to common courtesy and good manners....

I just think certain people should abide by site T&C's thats all........and chill....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could it be more an affection for ones own opinion than affection for the product, i.e. I'm right, you're wrong?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Its very easy to hide behind a computer screen on an anonymous forum, I much prefer a face to face encounter......

I really really hope there is a Presteigne meet this year......where I will be happily wearing my name badge and more than willing to have a discussion in person ..... I so love a good debate ....and I certainly dont need or want to hide behind an anonymous keyboard.......so, go on
If the medication / therapy works and my sex drive is successfully reduced to a level whereby I no longer present a danger to the public, I'll be there. I will be playing a banjo, dressed in a diving suit and top-hat. (I usually wear brown brogues, just in case there is anyone else dressed the same.)

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Could it be more an affection for ones own opinion than affection for the product, i.e. I'm right, you're wrong?
That has the ring of truth. Of course, it won't wash with me because I AM always right. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

Promoting your bike and your ideas about it is no different to promoting your ideas on anything else - like whether we should stick to speed limits. People make decisions and choices, and when they they are happy with them, they want to tell others about it. That's normal! That's why we have this forum: to hear about other people's experience so that we can add to ours.

.......and yes, you are a repeat offender - like most of us - seeing as you ask.

......and finally, it's not nice to refer to the lovely Lyn as "that Lyn woman" - even if she does ride a Tonaro.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
What about a Presteigne punch-up, once a year, get Winter cabin fever out of your collective systems (apart from Lyn who appears to be constantly sunning it in Spain all year round).

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
People make decisions and choices, and when they they are happy with them, they want to tell others about it
I get the impression with some people that they rather feel the need to browbeat others into agreeing. That's what I meant by getting emotional about a bit of machinery.

The more emotional the argument, the less veracity it probably has or at least that's what I find. A good decision can be logically argued but if you are unsure you bolster your own choice by coercing others to agree with you.

I can understand anyone feeling emotional over music, a novel, any work of art because they address the emotions. But a bicycle? An electric motor?

D

Deleted member 4366

lemmy;127185 I can understand anyone feeling emotional over music said:
A bicycle is a piece of creative art, and so is a motor. It's just a question of how you perceive it.

When I go into the Tate Modern, I find that much of the stuff in there is just pretentious sh*t. That's my perception!

The same as when I listen to the (so called) music that the kids at school have on their iPods. They enthusiastically say, "listen to this, Sir" in an attempt to enlighten me but I just get the same feeling as what you're saying about people being enthusiastic about their bikes.

I feel very sad for you that you can't appreciate the beauty of the engineering in these bikes, but like everybody else that hasn't "seen the light", you won't be able to understand what you're missing.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I feel very sad for you that you can't appreciate the beauty of the engineering in these bikes, but like everybody else that hasn't "seen the light", you won't be able to understand what you're missing.
Sorry D8veh but I think you're being a tad harsh on Lemmy there. None of us can say for certain whether or not he appreciates the beauty of engineering in bikes. Only Lemmy knows that.

Whether he does or does not is not the issue. What he remarked on was the emotional dimension and, although I am an engineer, I tend to agree with Lemmy on this.

Indalo

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think a bicycle is a piece of functional art, there's very little to be creative with as the concept is pretty much fully developed. The art in the Tate leaves me cold I cannot warm to it or understand it, however, it's still art and people enjoy it. These people could well use the same argument about not having 'seen the light'. ;)

---------------------------------
Posted using Tapatalk :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
1940 items
I found it interesting to note the not insignificant incidence of 1920s Art Deco influence among those posters. I've always loved the highly stylised artwork from that period and even today, we still enjoy many of those original designs. Some things never really go out of fashion and I'd mention the Dualit toaster by way of one example. The Hoover building on Western Avenue at Perivale is another classic example of the art of that period, obviously in the form of a large building in this incidence. We are fortunate in the London Metropolitan area to have many classic examples of that bulding style, doubly so now that preservation orders apply.

Now, that's art.......but only in my opinion!

Indalo