EU ICE ban postponed indefinetly.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Or ev's?
From my perspective as an ev owner it's paradoxically not bad news, much like property I keep what I drive for long and have never really considered flipping it as short term investments. It might make replacing what I have less painful.
Edit - it creates all kinds of tempting possibilities, from the sensible, say a 3 year old 64kwh kona for less than 16k (reliable, fwd, numbingly boring aesthetically, in that Korean way) to the outlandish, say a 3 year old i-pace (fugly pimpmobile that may make a meaty gold chain and blazer feel de riguer, but is quite fast, surprisingly capable off road, quite nimble and nice inside) for less than 30k. Despite energy prices a used kona, say, has to be better value than something like a new sandero for similar money for most drivers?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or ev's?
From my perspective as an ev owner it's paradoxically not bad news, much like property I keep what I drive for long and have never really considered flipping it as short term investments. It might make replacing what I have less painful.
Edit - it creates all kinds of tempting possibilities, from the sensible, say a 3 year old 64kwh kona for less than 16k (reliable, fwd, numbingly boring aesthetically, in that Korean way) to the outlandish, say a 3 year old i-pace (fugly pimpmobile that may make a meaty gold chain and blazer feel de riguer, but is quite fast, surprisingly capable off road, quite nimble and nice inside) for less than 30k. Despite energy prices a used kona, say, has to be better value than something like a new sandero for similar money for most drivers?
Don't take any notice of that Google article, it completely misunderstands the situation, which I've explained before.

The low rate of production of e-cars with a huge surge in demand a year or so again sent prices surging to ridiculous levels for low mileage s/hand e-cars. For example my 4 year old Leaf originally costing under £26k new jumped from £14k to almost £21k almost overnight, so up almost 50%. A crazy valuation.

Now at over 5 years old and with sanity returning it can fetch £12k, an overall drop of 43% from the peak inflated figure, or as Google says, a drop of 28% from an intermediate figure.

Two quotes from my previous posts:

"You'll remember WeBuyAnyCar offered me £14,000 back in late 2021 for my 3.5 year old Leaf"

"Last Year WeBuyAnyCar offered me just under £21,000 for my 4.5 year old one that cost just £26,000 new in 2018."

Obviously the only valuations that count are that from about two years ago (£14k) and today's (£12k). The short inflated period last year was just a temporary market insanity.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Strange how with all the brains at Porsche and in Germany generally, they dont think things through. This car is very expensive and the synthetic fuel will also be. In addition the fuel won't be as widely available as petrol, which will still be on sale for all the existing cars until 2060 at least.

So the wealthy person will either use their existing petrol Porsche or buy one now. Then renew it in 2034 from the last ones being made and continue to drive on cheaper, widely available petrol until the car finally dies sometime after 2060, or until they die before.
Its worth watching ,and I see these E fuels as necessary for aircraft... But there are major competitors .. ammonia has everything going for it , and can use the electrolyzed Hydrogen, with nitrogen as the carrier. Even simpler is methane which uses carbon as the carrier for hydrogen..and requires no major engineering input.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Congratulations Danidl, delighted to learn you've joined the e-car ranks. I'm sure you'll love driving it, and even the bits when it's driving itself.
Thanks ..but my motoring since the purchase has been extremely limited... .No sooner had I got my Zappi charger installed, when I went down and am still down with Covid pneumonia...!!! . So my virtually new VW is mocking me from the front garden..and of course I cannot get out to see Biden. I fully understand him wanting to visit Carlingford ..a delightful seaside town, but walking in the middle of Dundalk ,is no joyous celebration

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its worth watching ,and I see these E fuels as necessary for aircraft... But there are major competitors .. ammonia has everything going for it , and can use the electrolyzed Hydrogen, with nitrogen as the carrier. Even simpler is methane which uses carbon as the carrier for hydrogen..and requires no major engineering input.
Indeed, I've long been a fan of pursuing ammonia as an answer, as you say, everything going for it.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks ..but my motoring since the purchase has been extremely limited... .No sooner had I got my Zappi charger installed, when I went down and am still down with Covid pneumonia...!!! . So my virtually new VW is mocking me from the front garden..and of course I cannot get out to see Biden. I fully understand him wanting to visit Carlingford ..a delightful seaside town, but walking in the middle of Dundalk ,is no joyous celebration
I'm sorry to learn that Danidl, my best wishes for a full recovery soon. At least you'll be able to enjoy the car all the more when you feel better.

I see Biden is going to spend three times as long in the Republic as in the north, sensible. Running for a second term as he intends when he's already in his eighties now, perhaps not so sensible.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm sorry to learn that Danidl, my best wishes for a full recovery soon. At least you'll be able to enjoy the car all the more when you feel better.

I see Biden is going to spend three times as long in the Republic as in the north, sensible. Running for a second term as he intends when he's already in his eighties now, perhaps not so sensible.
If Trump fails to get the GoP nomination, I expect Biden will bow out. He has to keep saying he will run , until he decides not to. Biden feels s he is the only person who can stop Trump.. I don't know how true that is, but the minute he says he is not running, he is a lame duck.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just need a Deliveroo box on the back wonder if ppl will pay more for faster delivery :D

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
If Trump fails to get the GoP nomination, I expect Biden will bow out. He has to keep saying he will run , until he decides not to. Biden feels s he is the only person who can stop Trump.. I don't know how true that is, but the minute he says he is not running, he is a lame duck.
I quite like Biden (as career politicians go), he did stop trump, and russian colonialism (probably the two biggest threats to our flawed democracy in 70 years), which is more than Obama, or hillary (who have much to answer for allowing the threats to emerge) can say. And, hey, he had to say (through gritted teeth I imagine) he doesn't really hate brexit Britain
Who can't empathise with that (if I were his spad I'd have suggested he ads "but I wouldn't urinate on it if it were on fire, as it is as the worst performing economy in the g7")

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I quite like Biden (as career politicians go), he did stop trump, and russian colonialism (probably the two biggest threats to our flawed democracy in 70 years), which is more than Obama, or hillary (who have much to answer for allowing the threats to emerge) can say.
What bunkum.

The threat of Russian colonialism, as you describe that country's attempts to protect itself, materialised in 2008. That's when Putin finally lost patience with the four years of determined US attempts to expand NATO to Russia's borders at Georgia and Ukraine and launched a punitive attack on Georgia to discourage them from joining NATO.

Obama only became president in 2009 so had no influence on the matter.

The responsibility for prompting Russia's defensive military actions rests entirely with George W Bush, president from January 2001 to January 2009, and his immediate predecessors.

When Russia conceded defeat in the Cold War, disbanded the USSR and made overtures to join Europe as a full peaceful partner, the Western and especially US response should have been to disband NATO and welcome them, since NATO was only formed expressly to defend against the USSR threat, which no longer existed.

Instead the ever warlike USA chose to oppose Russian friendship and Europe's attempts to welcome them, then go on to instead expand NATO and reinvent it as an organisation to enforce western style democracy by the use of extreme violence and propaganda lies like the fabricated "Arab Spring".

Just look at what the USA and the new NATO has achieved with this. Unending utter chaos in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria et al. Driving Russia eastwards to become a real rather than imaginary threat as they increasing join with China and the world increasingly splits into two factions.

And now the USA reneges on its long held "One China" policy as it tries to creat a new cold war with China with this kind of "double speak":

"On May 23, 2022, U.S. President Joe Biden announced the United States would intervene militarily if China were to unilaterally invade Taiwan. - - - - Biden later stated that his remarks did not represent a change from the status quo and the U.S. position of strategic ambiguity. Secretary of State Antony Blinken also delivered a speech in which he stated that U.S. policy regarding the island had not changed, and the State Department updated its fact sheet to reinstate a line stating "we do not support Taiwan independence."

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What bunkum.

The threat of Russian colonialism, as you describe that country's attempts to protect itself, materialised in 2008. That's when Putin finally lost patience with the four years of determined US attempts to expand NATO to Russia's borders at Georgia and Ukraine and launched a punitive attack on Georgia to discourage them from joining NATO.

Obama only became president in 2009 so had no influence on the matter.

The responsibility for prompting Russia's defensive military actions rests entirely with George W Bush, president from January 2001 to January 2009, and his immediate predecessors.

When Russia conceded defeat in the Cold War, disbanded the USSR and made overtures to join Europe as a full peaceful partner, the Western and especially US response should have been to disband NATO and welcome them, since NATO was only formed expressly to defend against the USSR threat, which no longer existed.

Instead the ever warlike USA chose to oppose Russian friendship and Europe's attempts to welcome them, then go on to instead expand NATO and reinvent it as an organisation to enforce western style democracy by the use of extreme violence and propaganda lies like the fabricated "Arab Spring".

Just look at what the USA and the new NATO has achieved with this. Unending utter chaos in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria et al. Driving Russia eastwards to become a real rather than imaginary threat as they increasing join with China and the world increasingly splits into two factions.

And now the USA reneges on its long held "One China" policy as it tries to creat a new cold war with China with this kind of "double speak":

"On May 23, 2022, U.S. President Joe Biden announced the United States would intervene militarily if China were to unilaterally invade Taiwan. - - - - Biden later stated that his remarks did not represent a change from the status quo and the U.S. position of strategic ambiguity. Secretary of State Antony Blinken also delivered a speech in which he stated that U.S. policy regarding the island had not changed, and the State Department updated its fact sheet to reinstate a line stating "we do not support Taiwan independence."
Well, parking for a moment our fundamental ideological differences (I'm never going to support the expandingnew russian empire) there is Obama's unassertiveness in Syria. This not only increased polarisation there, made the opposition to assad become more radical, left a vacuum for isis et al to step in. But also went with russia getting away with the genocide in aleppo. Made it seem logical that the west would allow the same in Ukraine, then Poland.
History will I think judge Biden much more kindly than Obama or hillary or Merkel for that matter.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm never going to support the expandingnew russian empire
There isn't one, as Putin's total Russian withdrawal from Georgia once he'd taught them his necessary lesson, showed and proved beyond contradiction. Also now proven by the Georgian government's current voluntary co-operation with Russia, even against their people's will. They at least have got the message, that they can live in peace as a completely independent country simply by being a good neighbour. Something Ukraine should have done as far back as 2004, again in the lead up to 2014, again in the lead up to the current offensive to a completely stoppable war, given a smidgeon of Ukrainian commonsense.

Why does Russia call it a Special Operation? Simply because they never intended to absorb Ukraine and still don't want to. If they called it a war and had succeeded in conquest, Ukraine would be wholly a Russian possession once more as before 1917. But that would put NATO right up to Russia's borders along the whole length of Europe on the west, the very opposite of what they want and fight to prevent.

there is Obama's unassertiveness in Syria. This not only increased polarisation there, made the opposition to assad become more radical, left a vacuum for isis et al to step in. But also went with russia getting away with the genocide in aleppo.
I'm not letting you get away with that stretch, imaginative though it is. Syria was entirely just another part of the western mythical Arab Spring, the western foolish belief that the Middle East can be democratised by use of force that will be welcomed there by the people. Confirmed at the time by politician's statements both sides of the pond.

History will I think judge Biden much more kindly than Obama or hillary or Merkel for that matter.
Western history. The alternative history will be very different, but as always, both will be lies.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Dislike

Advertisers