EX 1 cassette bodge idea

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
rightio I have had my EX1 equipped Trek now for 20 months and it has been great until now
shifting in the higher gears ( smaller cogs ) is becoming increasingly bad with lots of ghost shifts on cog 5
which I assume is the one I use the most .
it looks like those smaller cogs are getting worn out but a new cassette is hugely expensive (342 beer token is the best I have found )
So let me run this idea past you all .
could I get this 8 speed cassette
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-pg850-8-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod5212?gs=1&sku=sku18195&pgrid=55375185827&ptaid=pla-427900732238&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sftMMawkA_dc|pcrid|253998738371|pkw||pmt||prd|18195UK

and swap out the worn cogs on the ex1 cassette .with these cheapo cogs

please run your thoughts on this and say why it wont or will work .

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In a similar but less expensive situation with my 11 speed setup with one particular gear getting the most use and wearing out.
My solution was to replace the cassette and 17t front ring, but also purchase a new inexpensive 15t front ring and every time I replace the chain I swap the front rings so now the high use is shared between two rear cogs instead of one and therefore should last twice as long.
Hope this helps..

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
A mate of mine who had ex1 ended up going back to 11spd rear
He was sick and tired of the big gap in ratios in particular places and the ultimate cost of there supposedly tool steel rear cassette which has lasted less time than a standard 11spd shimano unit
So much for ebike specific when it lasts less time than non ebike cassettes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
i appreciate the get rid and get different drive train replies
but we are talking make do and mend here not replace the whole lot
just because one or two cogs are fubared
I am looking for cheapskate repairs here

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i cant find much info on it and given you cant buy the two parts on there own mixing cassette parts esp different makes is not a good idea.

tho it might work if both fits on the hub but you might have shifting problems if all the spacing is not right.

all the 2019 bikes i have seen are going 12spd so you might find sram drop the ex1 over time.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
i appreciate the get rid and get different drive train replies
but we are talking make do and mend here not replace the whole lot
just because one or two cogs are fubared
I am looking for cheapskate repairs here
I personally was just making a long term fix not a short term botch
I’m a firm believer in fix once and forget
I would be really miffed being sold a gear train supposedly designed for a specific ebike application only to find out it’s worse than standard mtb drivetrains
They should be strung up for it

Anyway that doesn’t help your cause
I think if you want to have a crack at it go for it :)

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is it easy to take appart? If so replacing cogs is the way forward.

I think there is a market for a company providing reparable cassettes instead of the wast of having to bin perfectly good cogs just because one or two are worn. I would buy from companies that provide products that can be repaired or upgraded.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
in the early days of mtb we used to configure our cassettes , drill the pins out and build it up on the freewheel .
then along came the fancy spider carriers and cassettes were quite cheap so that practice died out .
might be time for EXperimentation again as there is nowt wrong with the 3 largest cogs and I do like the ratios .
shifting problems could be sorted with a thumb shifter and its not a formula 1 gearbox
OK I try it. for £15 quid

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get one from chain reaction it is a no hassle return for a refund as had to do it a few times lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
well on closer inspection the only swapable cogs are the 3 smallest cogs
my shifting problem is cogs 4 and 5 and they are part of the big five

my next budget bodge avenue to look at is going to be to see if a 10 speed shifter and cassette will work with the ex1 rear mech
I have the parts so a bit of spannering and a new gear cable is in the plan

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would love to go to 1 x 12 but the price of chains would ruin me in short order. Theoretically the chain should wear at a third of the rate seeing as there are three of them end to end but I don't buy into that theory because trikes are built to be a hard and fast ride = wear and tear...

That is the heart taken care of, the head says 1 x 10 will do the job just fine and if the battery conks out you will get some exercise!

The wallet says stick to 2 x 8, one chainwheel for climbing walls or getting home un-powered and the other for day to day business.

I still get all hot and sweaty thinking about the EX1 though. I think that limiting the market for wide range cassettes to eMTB is extremely short sighted because on a trekking machine they have their place too. Much trekking bike gear these days has been stolen from the MTB shelves.

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have the EX1 on my Haibike and I am really unimpressed. It is easily more fragile than the XX1 11spd it replaced. I am on my third cassette in around 2000 miles and the problem is the three top gears just start slipping. I do believe that SRAM will be selling the three loose top gears for around £30 in the next couple of weeks and I intend to get a batch of them. I got through my last cassette in only two months so it is quite an expense. My first EX1 derailleur lost its bottom jockey wheel on its first trip out so that needed replacing. I find it more sensitive to derailleur alignment than the 11spd and the chain seems to stretch on a daily basis. I have broken more EX1 chains in the last year than other chains in the last 40 years put together.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ex1 is dead most new bikes have 12spd eagle now nx or gx but the hole group set is cheaper than the ex1 cassette on its own.

i have gx on my bike and gears shift better than the 11spd it replaced and it is so quiet there is hardley no noise from the drive chain at all as the chain grips the sprockets and thus less wear.
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
In a similar but less expensive situation with my 11 speed setup with one particular gear getting the most use and wearing out.
My solution was to replace the cassette and 17t front ring, but also purchase a new inexpensive 15t front ring and every time I replace the chain I swap the front rings so now the high use is shared between two rear cogs instead of one and therefore should last twice as long.
Hope this helps..
This is my plan also. Currently using an 18 tooth. Will change to a 15 tooth with new chain when the time comes

Related Articles

Advertisers