Ex. GoCycle owner plans Tongxin build

ilmpc

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Hello everyone,
I live in Bristol, UK, which is a town of about 600k and is built on 7 hills (strategy folks, the Romans...) which makes for hard going on a bicycle, I'm now 50 and not getting any younger. So a year and a half ago I did some research, borrowed an e-bike or two, and eventually bought an ever-so-light GoCycle from Evans Cycles.

The drive system failed three times, not to mention the loss of steering one day when the steering tube pin retention clip pinged off. Oh, and how many broken mudguards (I lost count). Furthermore, I reccomended it to a mate, who bought a more expensive 'black' one, and guess what - yep, failed motor drive system - I can't tell you how awkward this has made me feel.

However, I bought my GoCycle from Evans Cycles who refunded me 100% of the purchase price - in fact, they have given 5 star service through a difficult experience. I have now ordered a Scott 2012 SUB 10 belt-drive from Evans which to which I plan fitting a front hub motor, a la Cytronex. Hence joining this forum.

My usage is a short (two mile) ride to and from work. The journey starts with a 10% descent for the first 1/4 mile and then a very gentle rise the rest of the way. Coming home is the same reversed, and it's the final long steep ascent that is the cause of my planned conversion.

I have to carry the bike up and down several steep flights of steps between my front door and the street, so weight is paramount to me. The Scott weighs 11.5kg, 5.5kg's lighter than GoCycle. I'm hoping to fit a Tongxin (2.7kg) which leaves 2.8kg for the battery system and controls.

I'll keep a photo library, for anyone who may be interested, with notes of any awkward bits (I believe I may have some fun fitting the hydraulic front disc caliper...).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the GoCycle information, many of us have had serious reservations about this design, in my view well-meaning but flawed in too many ways.

I look forward to your progress on the conversion and wish you well with that.

brisbased

Just Joined
Feb 10, 2012
I am not normally one to post on these things, but this comment angered me a bit. And we wonder why British manufacturing is going down the toilet? Karbon Kinetic’s Gocycle epitomises British engineering and its desire to push boundaries through innovation. Whilst I am empathetic with the gentleman's issues described above, I think we should applaud such entrepreneurial spirit, not share defamatory comments from what are likely a small minority of bad experiences.

I bought a pre-owned Gocycle last February (2011). I also live in Bristol and use the Gocycle daily in all weather on my 12-mile round-trip to work. To date I have racked up in the region of 3000 miles. As yet (touchwood), other than the occasional puncture and “niggling” issues, I have been nothing but impressed by the product and the exemplary after-sale service which I have received from Karbon Kinetics.

I too was tempted to buy from a large, well-known, well-established UK cycle store, but their staff were not ashamed to tell me that they knew very little about electric assist bikes in stock, nor of how to service them and I am pleased that I made the right decision to buy direct. I would not buy an Apple computer from anyone but Apple, so why should a bike any different?

I can only say 'well done Karbon Kinetics!' - I cannot wait to see the next generation Gocycle (the "G2") which looks like it has even more innovation and improvements from knowledge learnt and constructive criticism received from the owners of the G1 model (which I believe is now sold out)! I will be upgrading to the G2 when it is available because, for me, the Gocycle is absolutely spot on for my daily commuting needs and has the added benefit of looking extremely cool!

C

Cyclezee

Hi Brisbased,

Firstly welcome to the forum.
You are clearly happy with your Gocycle and it is good to read a positive post for a change.
I am sure we would all like to see more British products in this sector of the cycling world, but the reality is manufacturing and development costs in the UK are prohibitive and with such a small market it would be very difficult to match the competition.

That is only my opinion, but then I am the guy who bought an iMac from a reseller, not Apple.

Feb 13, 2012
Hi ilmpc,

I am very sorry to hear of the experience with your Gocycle, purchased from Evans Cycles. Your comments have been brought to my attention by a number of our enthusiastic followers. I would be very keen to have the opportunity to discuss the issues that you have experienced in more detail. Please see my direct contact email address below, should you wish to get hold of me.

Of the thousands of happy G1 owners throughout the EU, we are aware that unfortunately a handful have experienced a drive-related issue; a total of 6 reports of such issues having occurred 2 or more times. However, all those that we are aware of have been repaired. Typically, these failures can be directly attributed to misuse or abusive riding, such as riding on potted/rough tow paths, off-road, with higher than recommended tyre pressures or where the rider has exceeded the maximum design rider weight limit of 100kg. In such cases, we have been able to offer an upgrade to a more durable German-made drive system.

I do hope that you received good service and support. Our Customer Service and Technical Support teams are online and available to assist whenever necessary and 98.4% of warranty returns are repaired and despatched within 48 hours of arrival at our UK-based Returns Department. We currently support the entire EU generation one (G1) Gocycle fleet directly from the UK. We also keep thorough records of every reported service issue and continue to monitor all aspects of the G1 so that we can improve the design based on our customer experiences and valuable feedback.

Many thanks to “brisbased” for providing an alternative opinion. Your kind comments are gratefully received. Gocycle is a unique product and by design, it has never been intended to appeal and to suit the vast majority of traditional e-bike riders. Gocycle does have its quirkier features – like the way a G1 packs down into the Hard Storage Case – you need a PhD to do it in under a minute! It is definitely something that you would not want to do on a station platform. But how about the quick adjust seat post? Quick-fold handlebars? PitstopWheels? Completely enclosed Cleandrive system? Features that are not to everybody’s liking, but that have been born by our desire to help create a lightweight, high-performance and usable city/urban orientated product.

We are getting ready to launch the new G2 this spring, with some real improvements to the G1, including to the motor drive. But you can bet we will not be launching a “traditional” product – we have electric shifting, integrated dash display, torque sensing, completely internal cabling – and something special inside that will be standard on every model.

I don’t think G2 will be for most e-bikers, but for those that want to challenge themselves with the latest technology and can put up with any teething issues that come with the territory, Gocycle will embrace you as a customer and support you fully as we try our level best to bring innovation into the sector- love us or hate us.

Dan P
Customer Care Manager
Gocycle
Email: dan@gocycle.com

ilmpc

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Well, I didn't expect such an amount of feed-back so quickly.

I can not remember being so delighted as with my GoCycle since I was a kid - it was everything and more that I had drooled over in adverts and press. That was in the beginning.

Curiously, I'm the MD of a computer reseller, so the MAC stuff is amusing to me at a number of levels!
I'm impressed with Dan's response, however, I have to tell you that Evans Cycles reported somewhat les than helpfull support from GoCycle, hence the protracted delays in having it fixed...

I weigh 88Kg's, and have varied little from this weight over the years. Yes, I was advised by Evans Cycles to keep the tyre pressure as per manufacturers' instructions, and did so with great attention prior to it's final failure. As for abuse, it has never been ridden off-road, bumped up and down curbs, etc.

I am practical, I had a puncture within 3 days of taking delivery, and had puncture resistant strips placed between the tyre and inner-tube - no more punctures in 18 months. If a tweek needs doing, I do it - this bike was truly cared for. However, everything in my first post is true and can not and should not be ignored. I have no idea why, if a "...more durable German-made drive system." is available, then why is it not standard issue - I dont see two grades of VW Golf's on the streets... And on that note, if the 'normal' drive system has been returned under warranty due to mechanical failure (twice), why not replace it with 'more durable' system by default?

I have no beef with GoCycle, and truly hope that their G2 resolves the problems me and one of my co-directors have suffered with our GoCycles - believe me, nothing would make me happier than to feel the way I did over my GoCycle when I first bought it, and would love to feel confident enough to re-engage, but not for another year or two, I think.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not sure a Tongxin is the right motor for you as you'd be drawing a lot of current up the hills and the Tongxin roller drive is not so suited for that. The Bafangs are easier to get, easier to repair or replace; they're cheaper, more robust and hardly any heavier. The Ezee or BPM motors would be better, but they're heavier.

ilmpc

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks d8veh, I've been looking at a number of geared and direct drive brushless dc hub motors, both with and without sensor dependency (so called sensor-less). I'm compiling a matrix of cost/supplier/features, which looks like yielding a variety of candidates.

I'm fortunate that I operate a high-tech workshop (mostly for computer analysis/repair work), and will probably order several motors from a variety of manufactureres. Our workshop also designs high-end power supplies for hi-fi applications, so it's ideally placed to design a programmable high-amperage controller to be adapted (programmed) for different motor/battery combinations. Our programmers are already discussing and sketching-out algorithms in antcipation.

We, like you, realise and promote the notion "An engineer is a person..."

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks d8veh, I've been looking at a number of geared and direct drive brushless dc hub motors, both with and without sensor dependency (so called sensor-less). I'm compiling a matrix of cost/supplier/features, which looks like yielding a variety of candidates.

I'm fortunate that I operate a high-tech workshop (mostly for computer analysis/repair work), and will probably order several motors from a variety of manufactureres. Our workshop also designs high-end power supplies for hi-fi applications, so it's ideally placed to design a programmable high-amperage controller to be adapted (programmed) for different motor/battery combinations. Our programmers are already discussing and sketching-out algorithms in antcipation.

We, like you, realise and promote the notion "An engineer is a person..."
Look forward to your results.