experiments with LEDs for rear lights

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
50m high normal and strip led.JPG

This was taken at 50m, showing wilkinsons high intensity led at top, with a normal bike led underneath and my experimental LED strip lights.
When I have followed other cycles I thought that its the size not brightness that draws the eye.
So using 5V flashing LEDs I mounted them onto my rear carrier. My rear carrier bags obscure my legs, so putting flashing leds on my ankles will not work.
I was hoping to achieve something to show that a bike is wide & not a wheel with lights above.
The led strip is mounted onto reflective tape, so a cars head lights will emphasize it.
if interested I will post more details.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
View attachment 27541

This was taken at 50m, showing wilkinsons high intensity led at top, with a normal bike led underneath and my experimental LED strip lights.
When I have followed other cycles I thought that its the size not brightness that draws the eye.
So using 5V flashing LEDs I mounted them onto my rear carrier. My rear carrier bags obscure my legs, so putting flashing leds on my ankles will not work.
I was hoping to achieve something to show that a bike is wide & not a wheel with lights above.
The led strip is mounted onto reflective tape, so a cars head lights will emphasize it.
Are you sure that isn't a Volvo? :)

wheeler

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
View attachment 27541

Great idea.
I have a rear light with red Laser LEDs that projects red lines to both sides of the rear wheel, wider than the bike...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5-LED-2-Laser-Fahrradlicht-Lichtstrahl-Rucklicht-Fahrrad-Lampe-Beleuchtung/173040243422?hash=item284a0092de:g:tZ0AAOSwGzhaOKSV:rk:2:pf:0

I hope this "drives you on!"
regards
Andy
Rear light Laser.jpg

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I have only seen pictures of those Laser lights, and did not know if they would work over a rear pannier. What is your experience with them?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have only seen pictures of those Laser lights, and did not know if they would work over a rear pannier. What is your experience with them?
Good question, I made up a simply bracket and attached it to the rear of my Pannier box with a single wood screw, so the lasers miss it and my "side saddles" as well...
It was made out of a piece of broom handle!
regards
Andy