'ey up from Rotherham

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Hi Folks,

Found lots of interesting info on here,so I thought I should join in !
Have been cycling yonks and am ,or was, pretty fit. Then managed to have a heart attack just before my 59th birthday.
Back cycling now,but somewhat constrained by heart rate limits set by my cardio nurse/physio. which rules out most hills ,which is a problem as it's quite hilly round yer.
My missus has a Cube mountain bike which I converted for her,so that I didn't have to work out flattish routes
whenever we ride together. Took it for a trial run on one of my favourite road routes and it was great.
Managed to do some hills without exceeding my upper h/r limit.
Now looking to convert my Genesis Croix de Fer with front hub motor, 'cos it's my favourite bike and I don't want to lose any gears !
Cheers,
Rob

Reactions: jwm

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Rob :)

Bit of a wake up call then, but good you're still on two wheels.

Gaz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now looking to convert my Genesis Croix de Fer with front hub motor, 'cos it's my favourite bike and I don't want to lose any gears !
front hub conversion is OK but why do you think you'll lose any gears with rear hub conversion?

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
I have shimano 105 11 speed on the bike. I was under the impression (probably wrongly !) that you can only get 7 or 8 rear cassettes ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have shimano 105 11 speed on the bike. I was under the impression (probably wrongly !) that you can only get 7 or 8 rear cassettes ?
You can stretch the frame to fit 11 speed cassettes. A wide range 1 X 11 speed hub motor / cassette combination is a good solution.

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
That's interesting. Although I wouldn't want to go 1 x as I like to spin and I haven't enjoyed 1x drives that I have tried previously. Also I need to be able to keep a decent cadence for hill climbing as I can no longer slog out of the saddle due to limited upper heart rate, and I do use most of my gears

D

Deleted member 4366

You can stretch the frame to fit 11 speed cassettes. A wide range 1 X 11 speed hub motor / cassette combination is a good solution.
9 and 10 speed are the same width as 7 and 8 speed cassettes. Any stretching required is because of the motor width - nothing to do with the width of the cassette. It's different with free-wheels though. generally 7 speed is as wide as you can go because of the lack of availability of 9, 10, 11 speed ones and 8 speed uses the same chain as 7 speed, so is wider.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That's interesting. Although I wouldn't want to go 1 x as I like to spin and I haven't enjoyed 1x drives that I have tried previously. Also I need to be able to keep a decent cadence for hill climbing as I can no longer slog out of the saddle due to limited upper heart rate, and I do use most of my gears
I have gotten out of the saddle to climb a hill once in the last 3 years! And that was because I was too lazy to change down...

When I was riding a hub motor pedelec I rode a 1 X 7 speed 48:14-34 setup. I never needed more gears and I ride in the mountains of the Basque Country. Nowadays I have 42-32:11-32 8 speed cassette and a mid drive.

Trust me 1 X 11 is plenty if you have the right cassette on your motor, don't forget you have 5 levels of assistance to replace your chainwheel gears.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You don't have to lose it of course it is just that with a motor it often becomes useless.

On my hub motor bike I had a triple chainwheel and never used it on anything but the big cog in over 3600 km. I then moved on to a mid drive and as I stalled it once on a test run I mounted a double - one for normal riding and a small chainring for anything over about 13%. No derailleur, I shift by hand when I get into the mountains and where the downhills are so steep I hardly ever pedal so no need for the big ring. :cool: