eZee Forza review

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I’ve had my Ezee Forza for close to two years now and I’ve been using it for my daily commute for the past 11 months so I thought that now would be a good time to write a review of the bike. I've seen the bike that I have - which comes with mudguards and rack - referred to in some places as the 'Forza City Edition' as I believe Ezee produce another version of the Forza which is more of an off road variant.

http://ezeebike.com/bikes-and-options/forza/

http://cyclezee.com/ezee-bikes.html

Why I chose the Ezee Forza

I did a lot of research and I visited quite a few ebike shops and had test rides on sixteen different bikes before I settled on the Forza. The thread that I created on pedelecs can be found here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/mtb-or-hybrid-with-full-throttle-up-to-£1500-ish-for-short-commute.20296/

I think all that research was worth it because I feel confident that I selected the right bike. I decided quite early on that I wanted a powerful (but legal) hub motor bike with pedal assist and a twist and go throttle. Initially I thought I wanted something quite stealthy and for that reason I was attracted to some of the MTB style bikes but I eventually came around to the idea that - as I would be using the bike primarily for commuting - I needed something more practical with full mudguards and a pannier rack. In the end I narrowed the choice down to the Volt Pulse X – which is a bike that I still really like btw – and the Ezee Forza. I chose the Forza for a few reasons, firstly I live very near to CycleZee which is perfect for after sales support and servicing etc., secondly the Ezee Forza has integrated lights and the Volt Pulse X doesn’t, a small thing but important to me nonetheless, and lastly because the Ezee motor felt more powerful than the BPM powered Pulse X.

How has the bike performed?

The bike has performed really well and has been everything that I expected and more. My commute is a 7 mile round trip on shared use cycle paths in Milton Keynes. I wanted a bike that required minimal effort and the Forza with its powerful motor is perfectly suited to the task. I do pedal but I’m really not putting much effort in at all, the bike takes all the strain and it easily powers my 14 stone frame up inclines and hills. I average around 13mph up hills and even on quite steep hills my speed doesn't drop much below 10 mph. The bike really does feel like riding a low power scooter, which is exactly what I wanted, the riding position is very comfortable and the motor is relatively quiet. It is quite a heavy bike though which is to be expected given the extra weight of the battery and motor and has the benefit of making the bike feel very sturdy and sure-footed. Ezee offer a range of battery sizes, from 11.5ah right up to a huge 28ah pack and I decided on the mid sized 15.5ah battery. When I first got the bike I did a couple of range tests and while I never fully drained the battery I’m confident it would do at least 40 miles using a range of assistance levels from 2 to 5 (of 5) depending on the terrain. My daily commute is 7 miles and I have it on the highest assistance level all the way and I arrive home with 4 of the 5 power indicator lights still showing. In addition to the larger than standard battery I also chose two other upgrade options, namely Magura Hydraulic Disc Brakes instead of the standard cable disc brakes and a CREE Xml U2 1000 lumen front integrated light instead of the standard integrated front light. The brakes provide really good stoping power and have an integrated motor cutoff which works perfectly and and the light which comes with two power settings is super bright. The integrated lights were something that I was keen on and for commuting they’ve proved to be very useful – the front light is very bright and I never have to worry about charging batteries etc. Volt ebikes could learn a lesson here, they used to have integrated lights but I was told by one of their sales people that they had a tendency to develop faults so they decided to change to LED lights with their own internal battery instead. This was part of the reason I chose the Forza over the Volt Pulse X and when Volt asked me why I had not chosen their bike they were quite dismissive when I mentioned the integrated lights but I have to say I was absolutely right – when you’re carrying a 15.5ah battery having piddly little LED lights with their own batteries is ridiculous! One of my requirements was a bike with a twist and go throttle and while I almost always use pedal assist I'm still glad I have the throttle as I find it very useful at times for modulating my speed, and low speed manoeuvres where I just need a dab of throttle e.g., when crossing a road that intersects a cycle path, or for setting off from a standing start. I’m also glad that I purchased a commuter bike with fairly wide and forgiving tyres (Marathon Plus Tour) as the surface of the cycle paths I ride on are very rutted and bumpy in some places. It is for that reason that I run the tyres at relatively low pressure and I’ve swapped out the stock seat post for a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT. The downside to the Thudbuster is that you lose the flip up seat mechanism on the stock seat post but on the plus side it has completely transformed the ride quality and I can still remove the battery easily without having to fully remove the seat post. The rear pannier rack has also proved to be very useful, I have top trunk bag in which I keep my waterproof overtrousers, lock and sunglasses etc., it’s also useful if I pick up a few groceries on the way home from work. Between that and a small lightweight rucksack I have all the carrying capacity I need.

I’ve covered 1500 miles and I have had a couple of issues with the bike but nothing major. There was a fault with the electrical system / controller which happened a few months after purchase and that was fixed under warranty and I recently had an intermittent problem with power cutting out which turned out to be water ingress in the cable box by the back wheel (my fault for not taking enough care to protect the electrics when I was cleaning the bike). The metal bracket which holds the front light snapped which was easily replaced and thanks to the Marathon Plus tyres I’ve had only had one puncture which was pure bad luck (ran over an industrial staple). The bike has been serviced a couple times and has had one new set of brake pads. Otherwise I’ve had the occasional squeak / noise but nothing you wouldn’t expect from a bike that is in daily use. CycleZee has been fantastic and it’s really helpful having local after sales support and servicing etc. As I live very close he has even very kindly picked up the bike and delivered it back to me when I’ve needed repairs or servicing.

Areas for improvement

If I have a criticism of the bike it’s that the centrally mounted display and control panel cannot be reached without taking your hand off the handlebar and as such changing the PAS level is more awkward than it ought to be. And although it works perfectly well the control panel looks a bit clunky and is not very stealthy. A remote handlebar mounted control button pad and a removable LCD display would be a big improvement. My other criticism would be the speed cut off on the five assistance levels. When I’m commuting it's fine because I’m always giving it the full beans (not least because I’m usually running late!) but when I’m riding for leisure which is almost always on cycle paths or gravel paths then I usually like to cruise at around 12mph. The first level of assist seems almost pointless and may as well be a throttle only mode since I can never feel the motor kicking in, the second level of assist tops out at around 10mph, the third at around 14mph and there seems to be almost no difference between levels 4 and 5 which take you to the maximum 15.5mph cut off speed or in the case of level 4 very close to it. So with the battery fresh off the charger my sweet spot of 12mph is right in between level 2 and level 3. Thankfully as the battery depletes the top speed of level 3 begins to drop from 14mph to around 12mph but it’s still less than ideal. It would be nice to have more granularity in the PAS either through more levels of assist to choose from or a way to program the top speed of each assistance level.

continues in post below...

Last edited:

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
My experience of commuting on an ebike

Commuting in bad weather isn’t nearly bad as thought it would it be. I’ve discovered that it’s all about wearing the right clothes. I wear a florescent waterproof cycling jacket over my regular coat/jacket and a pair of gloves and if it’s raining I wear my waterproof over trousers which I keep on the bike. In winter I always wear padded/insulated water proof over trousers and a fleece lined balaclava under my cycle helmet – which as I’m sure you can imagine looks very elegant! I also swap out my summer gloves for electric heated thick winter gloves. At times it feels like I’m wearing so many layers I must look like the stay puft marshmallow man! But I’ve always kept myself warm and dry which is the main thing.

It’s quite funny how people react to the bike, most people don’t seem to notice that it’s an electric bike or if they do they’re not in the least bit bothered by it which is absolutely fine by me. Those that do notice it seem to be quite fascinated and impressed with it.

I think ebikes in general are perfectly suited the extensive city wide ‘redway’ cycle path network that we have here in Milton Keynes. One of the hallmarks of the redway system are the many short descents and corresponding inclines to accommodate underpasses, this is where an ebike comes into its own effectively flattening out the undulating terrain. Blind corners and blind T junctions are also not uncommon which limits forward visibility and forces you to slow down and lose momentum. Again this is where the effortless acceleration of an ebike really helps, I think it’s much safer too as there isn’t the temptation to carry momentum around blind corners when it isn’t safe to do so.

For me the idea of using an ebike to commute was largely born out of necessity as car parking was becoming a real problem due to lack of car parking spaces. So I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoy commuting on the ebike, even the winter weather hasn’t put me off and it’s now the part of my working day that I look forward to the most. I don’t have to worry about finding a parking space and its nice to be out in the fresh air and have some time to decompress after a long day at work. And in terms of journey time it only adds about 7 minutes each way compared to the car. It’s also saved me a lot of money on parking and petrol to the extent that after one year of commuting the bike has paid for itself.

Pictures and YouTube videos

For those that are unfamiliar with the Ezee Forza I have posted some pictures below and a couple of YouTube video reviews of the bike.

The bike brand new fresh out of the packaging -

The bike as it is now -

Video reviews of the Ezee Forza

Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Very nice constructive and informative posts. Your bike is set up very similarly to my Freego Eagle, even down to the little bag on the crossbar and Marathon plus tour tyres. I have just fitted a Suntour NCX12 seat post. I don't use mine for commuting as retired now, just for leisure. Looking at changing to step through so will research ease.

Reactions: 2Lazy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks for the fulsome review 2lazy. We get lots of reviews in the first week of ownership, but it's those like yours after a lot of riding which are the most valuable, giving a true assessment of the worth of a bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For me the idea of using an ebike to commute was largely born out necessity as car parking was becoming a real problem due to lack of car parking spaces. So I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoy commuting on the ebike, even the winter weather hasn’t put me off and it’s now the part of my working day that I look forward to the most. I don’t have to worry about finding a parking space and its nice to be out in the fresh air and have some time to decompress after a long day at work. And in terms of journey time it only adds about 7 minutes each way compared to the car. It’s also saved me a lot of money on parking and petrol to the extent that after one year of commuting the bike has paid for itself.
Nice point made, 2Lazy.
Would you give us an idea of all your spending on the bike so far?

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Nice point made, 2Lazy.
Would you give us an idea of all your spending on the bike so far?
The bike was around £1400 which is more than the base price as I had some upgrades fitted (15ah battery, hydraulic disc brakes & 1000 lumen light). I estimate I have also spent around £500 on accessories, cycle clothing and servicing etc. (most of that was on the Thudbuster seat post and a pair of electric heated gloves).

I just did some back of a fag packet maths and it's probably going to be another couple of months before it completely pays for itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
One thing I forgot to mention was derestricting. When I was looking for an ebike I wanted one that ideally had the option to be derestricted. After riding the bike for two years, however, I'm happy staying legal and having 15.5mph as my top speed. My commute is mostly on shared use cycle paths with a few residential roads mixed in for good measure. It is only on the residential roads that I sometimes feel that I would benefit from a higher top speed. On shared use cycle paths anything more than 15.5mph would be unsafe in my opinion.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You comment about speed steps with PAS was be one things that put me of cadence sensing hub drive. Not issue for commuting but pain when trying to ride with someone on unassisted bike. Choose factory mid drive because of this, excellent speed control.

Our bike didn't come with integrated lights and it would be top of my list on next bike. Its small things that make a difference.