Ezee Torq Battery

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Currently patiently waiting over 4 months for a NiMh battery from 50cycles - but my patience is getting stretched. Hoping that 50cycles are really going to sort this supply problem out soon. Might ask folk here how one gets through directly to eZee bikes.
eZee cannot get the NiMh cells at present they say, only 8.5 Ah with poor current delivery. 50cycles are working towards having their own NiMh and hope to announce something, but probably not in here now.

I'm completely confident that before the end of this year there will be much better Li-ion batteries available, and I intend to be using them on my eZee bikes instead of the NiMh I'm using at present since they will be so much better than present NiMh and Li-ion. There are things happening currently in both China and Japan which indicate that will happen, but a little patience is needed since those involved are making absolutely sure that they get it right this time.

I'm sorry that doesn't help those who are stuck at the moment, but at least you can be sure your bikes are not so much scrap.

Planetcooler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2007
Maybe I'll wait a bit

Thanks again flecc - very useful - perhaps I'll bide my time and look out for these future developments......(might just wire a reset button up to my handlebars to keep me chugging along....!!)

jeronimo479

Feb 6, 2008
My Experience

I received my Torq w/ lithium battery on Sept 8, 2006. I have since ridden 1300 miles on almost completely flat ground, The W&OD trail in Virginia, USA. My first battery reached 50% capacity (9.2 miles @ 20m.p.h average w/ peddling) within the first 6 months. After a winter break, I tried getting the battery replaced. The second lithium battery failed within the first week (turned out to be battery terminal screws), but then after service from Electric Bikes | Folding Bicycles | Powered motor kits | Scooters (New York), the battery reached 50% within 6 months and was out of warranty. I am now in the process of deciding between the "new and improved" lithium with fewer cut-outs, or the tried and true NiMH. I'm 90% certain that I will buy the NiMH, because research has shown that the LiMn batteries lose ~30% of their capacity every year and that they suffer when used to depletion (as I was doing every day).

I love the Torq and would buy it again. The front shocks would have been great, since at 25 mph speeds, the little bumps and hard tires wrack body upper body!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I received my Torq w/ lithium battery on Sept 8, 2006. I have since ridden 1300 miles on almost completely flat ground, The W&OD trail in Virginia, USA. My first battery reached 50% capacity (9.2 miles @ 20m.p.h average w/ peddling) within the first 6 months. After a winter break, I tried getting the battery replaced. The second lithium battery failed within the first week (turned out to be battery terminal screws), but then after service from Electric Bikes | Folding Bicycles | Powered motor kits | Scooters (New York), the battery reached 50% within 6 months and was out of warranty. I am now in the process of deciding between the "new and improved" lithium with fewer cut-outs, or the tried and true NiMH. I'm 90% certain that I will buy the NiMH, because research has shown that the LiMn batteries lose ~30% of their capacity every year and that they suffer when used to depletion (as I was doing every day).
The 2006 Li-ion batteries were useless, I went through three, two in six months, and one bought at the end of the year in 10 months. The current Li-ion batteries are better and have had their cut-out point altered, but they are still unlikely to last as long as a good NiMh.

However, things haven't been standing still and are still moving on, and the theoretical 30% per annum drop in capacity isn't appearing on the best quality Li-ion batteries that are supplied with the Panasonic motored bike or the BionX motor. Indeed, Panasonic are happy to give a two year warranty on their battery, and some users of the BionX are reporting little loss of capacity at two years.

Those two batteries are expensive though, at about £150 per 12 volts @ 10Ah in the UK, while the eZee ones have been about £83 per 12 volt at 10Ah, little over half the price. The moral is obvious.

Research and manufacturing is improving matters though, and there will be better performances and life from e-bike Li-ions before too long, and the progress will be continuous. I'm currently a confirmed NiMh user, one of the first to turn back to them from 2006 on, and I have three NiMh batteries for my two bikes, but I'm confident that I will be using only Li-ion before this year is out.

Planetcooler

Oct 14, 2007
NiMh for eZee Torq?

While we wait for the improved Li variants - is there currently a source, anywhere, for (decent) NiMh batteries for the Torq?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While we wait for the improved Li variants - is there currently a source, anywhere, for (decent) NiMh batteries for the Torq?
I'm afraid not yet in this country. 50cycles said they were looking into a supply of them, but I've no further information on that.

I believe eZee now have some that are ok, but you would have to buy direct:

ezeebike@gmail.com

One member has already done that.

Bear in mind you would also need a new charger for NiMh, which could increase the cost quite a bit, and it could be worth hanging on just a little longer for much better Li-ions.

Planetcooler

Oct 14, 2007
Hanging on for lithium!

ok flecc - I'll hang on in there for a bit longer......in anticipation!

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Yes. I have just received one direct from eZee in China. I'm in Germany at present so I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi,

Well I have now had the chance to test the new NiMH battery in the bike and it makes a huge difference. It really does show how bad the Li battery had become. Suddenly I was back to taking the long way round for the hell of it.

If you want some numbers, these NiMH batteries are supposed to be 8 or 8.5 Ah. According to my Cycle Analyst, I did 22 miles more or less on full throttle all the way, unrestricted. This used 10 Ah and there was no hint of cutting out. Now my auxiliary batteries add up to 4.4 Ah. With a theoretical 12.9 Ah, I thought that getting 10 Ah out at high current and still going strong was pretty good.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can confirm that they are rated at 8.5 Ah Nick, and they are the same cells as those in the Powacycle battery.

The former 9 Ah cells are just not available currently, and 10 Ah ones prohibitively expensive.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi,

Well I have now had the chance to test the new NiMH battery in the bike and it makes a huge difference. It really does show how bad the Li battery had become. Suddenly I was back to taking the long way round for the hell of it.

If you want some numbers, these NiMH batteries are supposed to be 8 or 8.5 Ah. According to my Cycle Analyst, I did 22 miles more or less on full throttle all the way, unrestricted. This used 10 Ah and there was no hint of cutting out. Now my auxiliary batteries add up to 4.4 Ah. With a theoretical 12.9 Ah, I thought that getting 10 Ah out at high current and still going strong was pretty good.

Nick
It's good to hear that you now have the capacity that you were targeting with the additional battery. Sorry that it has been a long wait.

Was that 22 miles with some of your hills included ?

It sounds a good performance at full throttle, unrestricted, and probably in cool temperatures.

Do you have a life expectancy in mind ? The NiMH experience seems to have been a couple of years or so, and I imagine that the stress on the battery is still relieved by the parallel arrangement.

James

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi James,

Yes it was cool - in the original sense of the word. I didn't do the really dramatic hills but there were some, and the one that can't be avoided is the long haul up to my house at the end of the trip.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has there been any update on this thread. The Ezee torq. N can you get replacement battery ? The silver fish type ?
In addition to other mountings, Ezee have been the one firm with the sense to retain the standard battery mounting on many models continuously from 2004 to the present.

The UK agents Cyclezee can supply new latest technology batteries for any Ezee bike. Their complete Ezee battery range is on the web page below, the rear of seatpost VP type is what the Torq uses and you have a choice of capacities:

http://cyclezee.com/ezee-batteries.html

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
Ah. Yet another option for me. I've seen a torq bike for sale but with no battery. They guy didn't know which was originally on it. But yeah I think it was the seatpost type.

I'm still looking at pimping up my little pioneer with a motor but dunno which I would go for. The front hub seems the easiest. But I'm thinking the crank motor is the best ? Any suggestions what type to choose seems the panda type are typical.