Ezee torque without power

Steven

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2007
Calif SF Bay Area Pennisula
Wanted to see how bad of a ride it would be with no power on my daily commute.
Recently up graded the tires to Scwalbe Marathon Plus and a new saddle. With Panniers loaded at 45lbs and myself at 195 lbs the torque performed just as well as in mountain bike hit speedings of 16 to 17 mph.

With alot of push back from 17 to 20 mph winds. 23 miles in 1 hour 45 minutes still no records for sure but still a very enjoyable ride. The commute has a few hills with one massive bridge to scale. On the way back the wind shifted so all in all no assist from mother nature 45 miles just under 3 1/2hours.

So not much for needing a spare battery.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Not a bad ride is it Steven. I was out on mine yesterday, a mistake with the overnight charging (I forgot:( ) meant I got a yellow with 15 miles still to go. I kept the throttle closed except on the steepest hills but was still able to keep up 15mph and got home with juice to spare.
Mine has some changes to the gearing and like you I have M+ tyres which make a tremendous difference.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great ride Steven, well done. I hadn't upgraded the Torq to Marathon Plus since I'd long been intending to do more extensive alteration to it, so it wasn't a pleasant unassisted ride.

Now in it's Torq Radical form with much smaller profile Marathon Plus tyres it rolls very easily and running out of juice isn't the problem it used to be. I even managed the 1 in 7 (14%) climb up to my home at a good speed with a flat battery recently.

I've tried it without a battery in as well and it's even better then, not much different from the average normal bike, just a bit more drag at higher speeds probably from the hub motor gears on the orbital ring.

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Steven,
I find the Torq to be a fairly good training bike, as you can ride it as a normal bike. But it does have a fairly high low gear, so any serious hills are hard to peddle up.
The good thing is that when you are knackered, you've got the motor to then assist you!

Charlie.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I agree Charlie, I found the standard 58" bottom gear to far to high for pedaling up any hill worthy of the name, so I changed the chainring for a 38 the cassette for an 11-28 and fitted 700 x 38 tyres giving me a gear range of 37" - 94".
Many people would find this rather low but it suits my short legs, I can still pedal at 30 mph in top gear.. with a lot of help from gravity;)
More to the point I can deliver significant torque in bottom gear at 11-12 mph which coincides with the motors maximum power.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Torq and Lower than Standard gears.

I agree Charlie, I found the standard 58" bottom gear to far to high for pedaling up any hill worthy of the name, so I changed the chainring for a 38 the cassette for an 11-28 and fitted 700 x 38 tyres giving me a gear range of 37" - 94".
Many people would find this rather low but it suits my short legs, I can still pedal at 30 mph in top gear.. with a lot of help from gravity;)
More to the point I can deliver significant torque in bottom gear at 11-12 mph which coincides with the motors maximum power.
I agree with you entirely Ian......
......but as regards you final para....."BUT NOT FOR LONG"! (about 200 metres on 10%).
Peter