Failed on my first big hill

Mar 9, 2016
Yes, happy memories, though trials were more my thing back then.
Yes my childhood was spent watching Sammy Miller and Martin Lampkin, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago.
Built my first " replica" dot when I was 13...64 tooth backsprocket, alloy fuel tank and a 3 speed Villiers 197 ( think 9e)..
Loved it..had to carry 3 spare spark plugs everywhere...if it wouldn't start, kick it over without one, stick a clean one back and away she,d go...Spent hours and hours annoying folk nearby!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes my childhood was spent watching Sammy Miller and Martin Lampkin, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago.
Built my first " replica" dot when I was 13...64 tooth backsprocket, alloy fuel tank and a 3 speed Villiers 197 ( think 9e)..
Loved it..had to carry 3 spare spark plugs everywhere...if it wouldn't start, kick it over without one, stick a clean one back and away she,d go...Spent hours and hours annoying folk nearby!!!
Mine wasn't all 2 stroke since after entering the army for national service I signed on and did six years. For over three of them I was a trials team member with a Matchless G3L. Not ideal, but great for reliable low speed very rough stuff.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I,ll try those next time. My rear is just about shot after 200 miles !!! Going back to dealer for free check next week. I,ll try one.thanks.

If you have ridden the bike in the Alps, then I'm not surprised. I wrote a tyre off in a similar mileage last year, over a two week period in Switzerland. I might rethink tyre choice for my trip out there this year.

Yes, happy memories, though trials were more my thing back then.
I had a Bultaco Sherpa in my Teens, then switched to a TLR200 which was a big mistake, and then ultimately after watching Jordi Tarrés, I ended up with a Beta Stripey. That bike was way to fierce for my riding ability, but still good fun. People that have never ridden trial, don't seem to believe you when you say that a trials bike could be too fierce. But the power delivery was far too sharp form me, and in reality I never really gelled with trials riding. I also just wanted to get through the sections as quickly as possible. I also tried MX on a Maico, but preferred to sit back and let the race go on without me, so again, gave that up as well.

The best fun that I had though, was racing this in Super Sport.

I then switched to a lovely Honda RS250 that I built from pretty much scrap, to compete in GP250. That bike was way better than my own ability, and handled as though it were on rails. I never found it's limits, just my own, and had to do what was called "The walk of shame" up to the race control office at Brands Hatch, after how shall we put it, a little high speed road rage incident. Apparently, nudging someone off the track, and then not allowing them back on again, isn't seen as fair play! :D
The trouble was that it wasn't my first incident, as I ran into the back of a slower rider entering Paddock Hill bend, and both bikes locked together, and we sailed straight on into the gravel trap. Happy, but equally very very sad days.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David
I didn't say you said it was same. Your google listing says " a real alternative to Bosch" , suggesting its for same target audience...
Yes your bike is a great bike in its own right, but ( in my opinion) suggesting it as an alternative to Bosch CD misses good points of both bikes..

What's sales pitch for your Riese Muller mtb, a real alternative to a Wisper Torque ???
It confuses the the situation.
I,d have guessed target customer is completely different ??? But like many on here have said..." What do I know?"
Cheers.
Hi Flud,

Thanks for your continued interest!

The OP wanted a good all rounder with torque sensor and hydraulc brakes for under £1,500.

IMO he bought the correct bike for his budget and requirements.

I have explained many times why the Wisper Torque system is a good alternative to the Bosch system. I am sure anyone following this post must be getting bored with the repetition. (Although enquiries for my Torque bikes has spiked since we started talking!)

The Bosch motor is, of course, a good alternative to the Wisper Torque, if a customer wants a very high spec or off road torque sensor bicycle and has the budget I would always recommend a Riese & Müller bike.

All the best David

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I,ll try those next time. My rear is just about shot after 200 miles !!! Going back to dealer for free check next week. I,ll try one.thanks.
Definately go tubeless I went tubeless after getting numerous punctures on my Haibike sduro. Use the Stans kit it's reasonably straight forward, you take off your existing plastic rim tape and replace it with the adhesive tape supplied in the kit this seals the rims then install the Stans valve and refit the tyres. Pour around 250 ml of Stans sealant into the tyre. Then the real fun begins! You need to inflate the tyre there are many methods so check out the YouTube videos. I found the best way for me was to use the high pressure co2 capsules. I have not had to mend a puncture since the installation.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Only having had top spec bikes I often feel I have lost out.

When younger, I used to aspire for better things and it took time but since there is little time left I went straight for more expensive stuff when I went electric. I don't regret doing it but the path is part of the journey.

I appreciate the modern car more having had the old ones, there is something I can refer to. Or is it just me?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Definately go tubeless I went tubeless after getting numerous punctures on my Haibike sduro. Use the Stans kit it's reasonably straight forward, you take off your existing plastic rim tape and replace it with the adhesive tape supplied in the kit this seals the rims then install the Stans valve and refit the tyres. Pour around 250 ml of Stans sealant into the tyre. Then the real fun begins! You need to inflate the tyre there are many methods so check out the YouTube videos. I found the best way for me was to use the high pressure co2 capsules. I have not had to mend a puncture since the installation.
The wheels on my Haibike are ready for tubeless, when I had a front puncture I just swapped the supplied valve, used the Stans gunge and it's been ok since. Still have a tube in the back wheel, I never do today what I can put off for another.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Only having had top spec bikes I often feel I have lost out.

When younger, I used to aspire for better things and it took time but since there is little time left I went straight for more expensive stuff when I went electric. I don't regret doing it but the path is part of the journey.

I appreciate the modern car more having had the old ones, there is something I can refer to. Or is it just me?
Your bike is amazing Croxden, IMO the best of the best. I would certainly love to ride a full suspension RM Delite Rohloff with all the goodies, but I have budget limitations!

Best regards

David

Reactions: Croxden

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Well at least with your new transferable warranty policy it might make any future trading up less expensive as it makes the old bicycle look more attractive to potential second hand buyers.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Well at least with your new transferable warranty policy it might make any future trading up less expensive as it makes the old bicycle look more attractive to potential second hand buyers.
That's why we have changed our policy. As long as the bike is being sold by one of our stockists and they have serviced and confirmed that the bike is is good condition we will transfer the warranty to the second buyer.

All the best

David

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Couldn't possibly read through all 17 pages of this thread,so it's possible I may be repeating info.
Sorry,if you or partner were sold a Bosch crank drive bike for hill climbing without a lot of effort then you were badly advised,unfortunately the Bosch publicity dept have done just too good a job.
If you want a bike for best hill climbing,legally,then the BPM hub drive with speed sensor (not torque sensor)... That is the Ezee,Woosh,Kudos and Oxygen bikes.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hello young Dave, nice to hear from you! Thanks for stirring this up again!! :)

The best bet of course is the bike he chose. A legal bike with a torque sensor, and a pretty well unique extra, to be able to turn off the torque sensor and run on speed sensor alone.

All the best,

David

Reactions: Kudoscycles
Mar 9, 2016
The wheels on my Haibike are ready for tubeless, when I had a front puncture I just swapped the supplied valve, used the Stans gunge and it's been ok since. Still have a tube in the back wheel, I never do today what I can put off for another.
I phoned dealer, he reckoned mine were tubless ready so next week..
To be fair not really had any issues but lowest I,ve run in tyres was 25 psi..
Went up here this morning...
About limit for pair of us.( me and bike) Lady Bower was stunning tho...keep riding other spots but always end up back here...
Thanks for all info.
WP_20160420_003.jpg

It was fecking steep !!!
Unfortunately mtb not allowed past top ( in theory) but path was awful anyway.( foot deep ruts , mud holes etc etc not what I like)
So came back down and went back up via Knockerbrook ??? Think it was anyhow..
Best ride yet...super..had place to myself.

I ain't biting...to good a mood.
Nice one Dave..we can all dream..besides my Haibike is Yamaha..you should have read thread...( smilie with agincourt salute)
Take care.

( see other thread for more pics, if you must. Only off phone so not great)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes