Fat Bloke - Not cycled for years...

Barnet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2017
UK
I'm tall and overweight (6'6, 22 stone)
I'm also starting a new job in the next few months. It's about a 10 mile ride along the canal path or I could be lazy and drive every day.

I've considered standard cycling but don't think I'd have enough puff right now to get there without being a tired, sweaty mess. So an ebike has some appeal!

I've thought that it would make sense to get a high torque MTB but have read a bit about hybrids and figure they could also be an option. I've also read that mid-drives might be better due to the power and given my weight and fitness, I need all the help I can get.

I'd like to stick to the legal UK standard spec but am looking to get as much grunt from the motor as possible.

I can probably stretch to just over £2k in budget.

A few questions. Primarily what bike/s should I look at? Also, where is a good place to get a test and a fitting so l can work out whether it would work for me? I'm near Milton Keynes but don't mind a bit of travel!

Thanks in advance for your help

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Barnet

Sep 9, 2017
UK
Hi Gaz.

Thanks. The Whoosh looks interesting. Although I haven't tried a front motor bike, or any ebikes for that matter, I'm a little put off from a balance perspective. Open to some other suggestions! I think definitely mid-drive given my size!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I had the same issue.... 6ft 7in and over 18 stone so needed a bike with plenty of power!
I had a KTM Macina Cross 10 with the Bosch Performance Line CX and found it first class....but.....
I needed a step through frame due to a knee problem so now have a Cube Touring Hybrid pro with the same Bosch motor and love it.... the step through frame is more like the Dutch style bikes... "Sit up and Beg style" which I find far more comfortable for my back!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Being tired and sweaty is part of losing weight... When I got into this electric bike lark I lost 4 kg pretty quickly but I was riding the bike like it was stolen so definitely some sweat. Ride leisurely to work but at least try to get home with clothes ready for the washer.

Andrew Ford

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2016
Rotherham
Hi
We bought BigG,s. KTM .(Cheers Geoff)
The build quality is excellent as you would expect from any leading brand of bike
Which ever bike or style you pick the proof will be in the pudding if anything goes wrong in the future
You will possibly find 90% of the dealers will put them selfs out to correct any wrongs
Don't forget if you get into E bikes you eventually may buy another one or a friend or family may buy one
Word of mouth for a business is good

Andy

Barnet

Sep 9, 2017
UK
Felt inspired this morning, so dusted off my old mountain bike (a 1992 GT) and tested the journey.

Just under 10 miles, mostly flat and did it in 65 minutes, so 9mph average. Had to then bike a mile up the hill to get the train home as I was very tired, that was much slower in granny gears. Certainly doable without an ebike but I think if I'm doing both directions a more sedate ride in and a blast home would work nicely. If I can get the time down to 45 mins so much the better, that'll be the aim. Incidently, being heavy isnt great on a bike with no suspension!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Since you do like pedalling and would like to put some work at least on way home, torque sensing would suit you. Either factory middrive like shimano steps or Bosch or hubdrive with torque sensing. Given your weight Bosch CX would be good choice should get you to work sweat free at 15mph.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Just under 10 miles, mostly flat and did it in 65 minutes, so 9mph average. Had to then bike a mile up the hill to get the train home as I was very tired, that was much slower in granny gears. Certainly doable without an ebike but I think if I'm doing both directions a more sedate ride in and a blast home would work nicely. If I can get the time down to 45 mins so much the better, that'll be the aim. Incidently, being heavy isnt great on a bike with no suspension!
Im in a similar situation. I had a go at commuting on my non bike last year, but the hills I had to ride up to get home were agonising. I found the very thought of cycling up those hills after a days work to be too demoralising, so I gave up.

But an bike would take the pain of those hills away and get me back on a bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Kendalian

Barnet

Sep 9, 2017
UK
Thanks for the advice all. Some good stuff in here. I like the look of the KTM and Cube bikes, just need to get on the phone to negotiate price once I've decided. Bosch CX seems like a good call with solid torque. Is there anywhere good to try these things out?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no idea where you are located but this is the forest of dean, they have bosch ebikes to hire but might be a bit far and there 50 quid for half a day.

Barnet

Sep 9, 2017
UK
I'm near Milton Keynes. Happy to travel a bit to try a few out. Sheffield and Forest of Dean might be pushing it with young kids in the car! :)

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
NEC bike show at end of month, not sure if they let you try them out though?

bigbobwolves

Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
I'm tall and overweight (6'6, 22 stone)
Halfords £1000 MTB will do the job and they do test rides, 15 minutes, rear hubs have les torque but will do the job, mid drive have more torque but at £1500+ and you size will put a lot of strain on the chain so expect maintenance costs, I had a £500 mail order bike for over a year they are fine on flat or mild hills

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Could you give me some info on this Bike Fest?

Steve
Its been run by a local bike shop - JE James Cycles who have shops in Sheffield, Rotherham & Chesterfield. Details are on their website. I called back into one of their shops today and they said are taking loads of bikes, including 2018 demo bikes and ebikes. Its a free event, you just need to book via their website.

I see that Saturday is fully booked up, with just Sunday 1st Oct remaining...

https://www.jejamescycles.com/cyclefest