Faulty battery - replace or re-cell?

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Hello everybody

It appears my Gazelle Innergy battery is faulty - it is not recognized by the multimeter (in voltmeter settings) nor by bike computer even when connected to mains.

I do know that it is about 9 years old and hasn't been used. It might have been faulty from the very beginning, I don't know as it came with the bike which I bought recently.

Here is my dilemma: is it better to attempt to re-cell it or invest in a new battery (it appears the new batteries are still available)?

More of the story is here.

D

Deleted member 4366

Without knowing the fault, it's difficult to say. I think it has comms, so there's some hand-shaking with the controller before it'll give power. If that's so, the repairer will have to use the same management board inside it, but it could be that it's faulty, which is why the battery died. Batteries don't die for nothing. It's worth a word with Jimmy in case he knows about these batteries:

https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Batteries don't die for nothing. It's worth a word with Jimmy in case he knows about these batteries:
Thanks - Jimmy said (if it was he who picked the phone) that a 9 years old battery is like a 99 years old man. It's just old age. He seems to think he can service it...