Finally got an ebike for commuting to work...

M_B

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2011
I explored getting an e-bike on this forum, testing them out a few years ago (just as the Bosch drive hit the market). But the sort of thing I was looking for was just too expensive for me, and the time wasn't right. So I passed.

But the idea of cycling to work has come up again. The market seems more mature now, and prices seem to have fallen for the sort of ebike I wanted. Last week I bought a new Cube Touring Hybrid 400 that was on offer and at the right price for me.

So I've been leaving the car at home, and commuting to work on it. It's only a short commute, mainly downhill to work, and thus mainly uphill going home. Good for getting to work unfatigued, but not so nice traveling home into a stiff headwind after one of those days at work when you feel drained of energy. This change is requiring a little bit more planning, and a rethink of some shopping and eating habits - but it's all good.

I'm rather unfit at present, having stopped regular hill walking a couple of years ago for health reasons, and now lost the walking bug. I'm hoping that over a few months I can recover some strength and cardio whilst cycling to work. Gradually reducing the electric assistance, and just using the assistance occasionally for commuting. As I get used to having a bike, I'm also hoping I can integrate it into my life a bit more, for other journeys, and also a bit of leisure.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I also lost the walking bug when knees became untrustworthy. Converted my bike 4 years ago (leisure and utility) now done over 5000 miles and trips are getting longer. Take it steady and be kind to yourself, I think you'll come to enjoy it more than you know.

garywfox

Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
I explored getting an e-bike on this forum, testing them out a few years ago (just as the Bosch drive hit the market). But the sort of thing I was looking for was just too expensive for me, and the time wasn't right. So I passed.

But the idea of cycling to work has come up again. The market seems more mature now, and prices seem to have fallen for the sort of ebike I wanted. Last week I bought a new Cube Touring Hybrid 400 that was on offer and at the right price for me.

So I've been leaving the car at home, and commuting to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garywfox

Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
Welcome!
In a similar position myself and currently riding a Cube Hybrid. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Don't beat yourself up! Start with full assist e.g. full turbo and as the weeks go by reduce the amount of assistance. It's not a race... If the knees are in poor shape, then be happy to use low gears, at our age we are not trying to prove anything in and try and keep the smile off your face, the general public find it frightening.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Wean yourself of the higher assist modes gradually . I’m not a fan of turbo mode it’s too aggressive on the drivetrain unless you shift gear very sympathetically ( ease pressure before you shift ) I’ve gone from EMTB mode down to ECO with the odd blip into TOUR mode for hills . My fitness is improving but not shifted any weight yet ! The cube hybrids are cracking bikes just the job for commuting and weekend jaunts