Finally, it’s done!! First ride.

CaptainCrash71

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2018
County Durham
Eventually, my e-bike build is complete.
upload_2018-5-9_8-16-44.jpeg

It’s a Yosepower 36v 350w cassette motor on a 26” wheel. Home made 36v 11.6ah battery using 40 x Panasonic PF cells.
Battery is in the bottle bag under the saddle
upload_2018-5-9_8-21-6.jpeg
obviously, all the other gubbings is in the supplied frame bag. I didn’t bother fitting the brake levers or throttle, I only intend to use PAS. Fitting was pretty straight forward, had to dremel (other multi-tools are available) the inside of the PAS sensor to fit my BB, and also has to powerfile a couple of mm off the pedal crank to get it all to fit. First test ride up the street was disappointing as there was no assistance, but them I noticed the motor wire dangling down behind my bike and realised I hadn’t plugged it in...oops. 2nd ride much more impressive, and this morning, after a 12 hour night shift, I took it out to give it a proper test. Only did 1.4 miles, but it did incorporate two meaty hills, and I averaged 14mph, and bike was in 18th gear almost all the way. Normally I’d have been in 10th, even dropping down into 1st on occasions.
Can’t wait to give it a proper run out, going to try a ride out to work one night this week.
Only fault I can find with the kit (other than the cheap and nasty brake levers) is the **** poor quality Chinese glue holding on the motor identification sticker. It only seems to effect the ‘350w’ sticker, as it’s the only one to have ‘fallen’ off. The other two have retained their integrity.
upload_2018-5-9_8-33-49.jpeg
Anyway, if you’re reading this and considering converting your bike, just do it! I’m sure you’ll not regret it. upload_2018-5-9_8-16-44.jpeg upload_2018-5-9_8-21-6.jpeg upload_2018-5-9_8-33-49.jpeg I’ll update post further when I’ve had a proper run out.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I'm sure the lack of the rating sticker won't be a problem because the whole build is so stealthy. Nice job.
Come to think of it my Ezee has no stickers at all and I can't remember the last time I was arrested!:eek::cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yose hub doesn't need a sticker, 350w is lasered on the side plate on the cassette side.
They are not bad kits, 70 miles today on and off road.

CaptainCrash71

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2018
County Durham
Cheers BG, it was what I was aiming for, very happy with it. I've noticed yosepower and elife store don't have these kits on eBay at the moment, not sure why.
My commute is going to be 6.5 miles each way, so yesterday morning I took it out for a 6.5 miles ride, I rode halfway to work and back, I think this encompasses the worst of the hills each way, so was a good representation of my commute. I did it in 24 minutes, averaging around 14 mph, I did a fair bit of pedalling, but in my current fitness state I think I'd have needed resuscitating about halfway round without the motor. Battery seems to be big enough to do at least 2 days commute on a charge, I'll know better with more experience. All in all I'm well impressed, and I calculated build cost of around £320 all in. Looking forward to my next build.

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Don’t crash captain. Best to ease yourself into the daily ride also familiarise yourself with the road and where to take care particular those potholes.

And having noted the potholes and road issues on my route to Yambol covered 6.2 miles in sixteen minutes all on throttle includes a 1km hill climb.

320 quid that’s a good price my battery took a big chunk of the budget but at 35.2Ah will in the future build bigger and better.

CaptainCrash71

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2018
County Durham
Update - had a few rides out now, so much so that my bike has covered more distance in 2 weeks than it’s done in the past 8 years.
The lovely weather this morning meant I just had to get out on it, but only had about 30 minutes, so a quick 5.4 mile ride out that took 20 minutes.
Here’s the data from ‘cyclemeter’
upload_2018-5-15_10-6-44.png
upload_2018-5-15_10-7-20.png
upload_2018-5-15_10-7-56.png
As you can see, even on the really steep bits, I managed to keep the speed about 15mph.
I absolutely love it, best thing I’ve done in ages.
Only downer is I’ve now discovered the yosepower website, and I’d have saved 30 quid ordering from them directly, but never mind, I still think it’s excellent value for money.

Reactions: BG bicycle