First conversion advice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks d8veh.
Also, what would the import charges be on something like this, if any?
Typically 25 -35 quid. Ask BMSB to mark the value as $100.

fufkin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2017
UK
Thanks for the advice d8veh and Nealh.
The bike is fairly fast on the flat, but I can struggle with longer hills due to single speed.
I guess I'll spec the higher rpm then and if I go for it get them to mark $100 on the box!!! :)

Off at a slight tangent, but is it possible to later convert to 2 wheel drive?

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
When you take into account the large shipping costs that BMSBattery charge (over £120 for a Q100 kit), as well as the import duty and handling fee, the price difference between buying from BMSBattery and buying from Woosh is not much. The 250w Woosh kits with a 13ah battery are about £500 with free shipping (slightly more if you choose a 15ah or 17ah battery). If it were me, I'd stick with a UK supplier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It
Off at a slight tangent, but is it possible to later convert to 2 wheel drive?
It is, but that only really works if you use the lightest motors. The battery would need to providd double the current, so the minimum would be a 3.5kg one with Samsung 30Q cells. You need two controllers too.

That's not really the sort of bike you'd want to make 2WD. An off-road MTB would be better. If you wanted more power, a single bigger motor and controller would be better than the complication of 2WD.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Also to mention, I'm fairly sure that 2-wheel drive electric bikes are not road legal and so would need to be registered, taxed, insured, etc.

fufkin

Sep 7, 2017
UK
It

It is, but that only really works if you use the lightest motors. The battery would need to providd double the current, so the minimum would be a 3.5kg one with Samsung 30Q cells. You need two controllers too.

That's not really the sort of bike you'd want to make 2WD. An off-road MTB would be better. If you wanted more power, a single bigger motor and controller would be better than the complication of 2WD.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure is it would be too much stress on the bike upping the power from one wheel.

Also to mention, I'm fairly sure that 2-wheel drive electric bikes are not road legal and so would need to be registered, taxed, insured, etc.
Same with 350W electric bikes as well?

fufkin

Sep 7, 2017
UK
When you take into account the large shipping costs that BMSBattery charge (over £120 for a Q100 kit), as well as the import duty and handling fee, the price difference between buying from BMSBattery and buying from Woosh is not much. The 250w Woosh kits with a 13ah battery are about £500 with free shipping (slightly more if you choose a 15ah or 17ah battery). If it were me, I'd stick with a UK supplier.
That's why I have to take my time to understand more what equipment I need, how much I'm prepared to pay and how much (if any) hassle I can live with.

This is such a helpful forum so thank you everyone for your advice so far.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure is it would be too much stress on the bike upping the power from one wheel.
There is another advantage from 2WD using two small motors instead of one big one. That's that the smaller mass has much less effect on suspension. A heavy hub motor spoils the suspension completely; however, that's again only really an advantage on a full-suspension off-road bike.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I have a 250 motor in a 700c front wheel Inc tyre . Plus some steel 29er ridgid forks.

They came off my on one Pompetamine (frame broke)

The forks that came with the pomp were too narrow for the motor (like yours will be). Hence I bought Surly 29er steel ridgid forks (takes disc or caliper )

Im sure I can dig a 250w controller out the shed and matching led panel. Also got the cable brake lever /cutouts (never used)

So you'd be missing a throttle , pas sensor and battery

First two super cheap. Battery not

You will have to collect from Shoreham by sea / Brighton but you can have the whole lot for 100 quid if you like

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Same with 350W electric bikes as well?
Yes, anything rated over 250W is not road-legal.

That's why I have to take my time to understand more what equipment I need, how much I'm prepared to pay and how much (if any) hassle I can live with.

This is such a helpful forum so thank you everyone for your advice so far.
Thanks, you're welcome :).

Spanos, your offer looks to be a good one for him to consider if he'd be able to collect from you. Which motor is it that you have on the wheel?

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Yes, anything rated over 250W is not road-legal.

Thanks, you're welcome :).

Spanos, your offer looks to be a good one for him to consider if he'd be able to collect from you. Which motor is it that you have on the wheel?
It's a standard bafang/8fun 250 sw model that takes a disc, tried and tested, nothing unusual

There is even a rsp raceplate mudgaurd fitted which look the bomb imho

fufkin

Sep 7, 2017
UK
I have a 250 motor in a 700c front wheel Inc tyre . Plus some steel 29er ridgid forks.

They came off my on one Pompetamine (frame broke)

The forks that came with the pomp were too narrow for the motor (like yours will be). Hence I bought Surly 29er steel ridgid forks (takes disc or caliper )

Im sure I can dig a 250w controller out the shed and matching led panel. Also got the cable brake lever /cutouts (never used)

So you'd be missing a throttle , pas sensor and battery

First two super cheap. Battery not

You will have to collect from Shoreham by sea / Brighton but you can have the whole lot for 100 quid if you like
Hi spanos,
Sorry for the late reply.
That looks great and I'm more than willing to pop down to Brighton to pick up.
I'm just down the road in Southampton so not too far.
Is it possible to do private message on here?

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Hi spanos,
Sorry for the late reply.
That looks great and I'm more than willing to pop down to Brighton to pick up.
I'm just down the road in Southampton so not too far.
Is it possible to do private message on here?
I've replied to you , hopefully you can see