First ebike advice

Loai

Just Joined
Jan 24, 2017
Nottingham
Hi all,

This will be my first ebike and I am very excited. I have read few forum and I think I should try few first before making my mind.

I am 176 cm long and weigh 75 kg. I will be using the bike mainly to commute to work 1.5 miles away.

My budget is up to 1k pounds. I am new to Nottingham. Do you know where I should go for test ride? and which ebike should be included in my search?

Thank you.

Loai

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi all,

This will be my first ebike and I am very excited. I have read few forum and I think I should try few first before making my mind.

I am 176 cm long and weigh 75 kg. I will be using the bike mainly to commute to work 1.5 miles away.

My budget is up to 1k pounds. I am new to Nottingham. Do you know where I should go for test ride? and which ebike should be included in my search?

Thank you.

Loai
Walking pace is 4 miles per hour for the first hour, idling on a bike is 10 miles per hour and 15 miles per hour on a ebike.
1.5 miles can be walking distance and will take around 25 minutes by a reasonable fit not athletic person.
On a standard push bike , one would be hard to take longer than 8 to 10 minutes and one would not even have the time to raise a sweat. On an electric bike it will take about 5 to 8 minutes .
Unless you have some disability, it seems difficult to justify an electric bike. The unlocking and locking, parking becomes a significant part of the total journey time.
The value of an electric bike would be felt on longer commutes eg 3 to 5 miles.
However your money your call.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Loai

Just Joined
Jan 24, 2017
Nottingham
Walking pace is 4 miles per hour for the first hour, idling on a bike is 10 miles per hour and 15 miles per hour on a ebike.
1.5 miles can be walking distance and will take around 25 minutes by a reasonable fit not athletic person.
On a standard push bike , one would be hard to take longer than 8 to 10 minutes and one would not even have the time to raise a sweat. On an electric bike it will take about 5 to 8 minutes .
Unless you have some disability, it seems difficult to justify an electric bike. The unlocking and locking, parking becomes a significant part of the total journey time.
The value of an electric bike would be felt on longer commutes eg 3 to 5 miles.
However your money your call.
You are absolutely right. The fact that I am working long hours and night shifts and we do rotations, each for 6 months and then move to another place which could be anywhere in East Midlands. I was wondering it makes sense now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Three great quality bikes @ £1,000 spring to mind. The Freego Folder, which has a 30 mile range, the Momentum Model T (step through) and Momentum Upstart (crossbar), which both sport 30/35 mile range. The Model T is a classic sit up and beg and is one of the comfortable bikes I have ever had the pleasure of riding. The Folder and Model T are equiped with mudguards, lights and pannier rack. The Upstart does not have a rack but can easily accomidate one. Hope this helps :)

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
One and half miles on the flat and a pedal bike is best, unless there is a steep hill, or perhaps a continual incline. Ebike might be more tolerable in light rain.

Under a mile and travel is not worth the extra security considerations and extra wight of getting it out of the house.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You might like to nip over the border into Derbyshire and take a look at Juicy Bikes. You'd benefit from a free battery upgrade using the current "Pedelecs" coupon code and we're near enough for you to have a decent test ride, just to make sure.

Reactions: Emo Rider