First eBike Ride

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Paul,

congrats on getting your bike up and running. Nice photographs - is that a mortar on the back? :D

We could do with some how-to's on the main site, so if you feel like writing up your project, it would be very welcome ;)

cheers
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A great job done there Paul, and what a sensible and clever cycle-aesthetic way of dealing with the miscellaneous electrics and associated waterproofing needs.

It looks the business, and I bet it goes well too.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Congratulations on a good job, It's what estate agents would call a sympathetic conversion. You certainly have the potential to surprise other cyclists on hills.

I should stay away from military establishments though, with a weapon on the carrier and wiring to the water bottles;)

pdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"I should stay away from military establishments though, with a weapon on the carrier and wiring to the water bottles."

==> Hmmm, yes ... that crossed my mind too.

pdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hi Jeff

"Whats the next idea going to be?"

As you guessed, a few changes come to mind:

1. Add torque arms, both sides (crazy to ride without them and likely pretty easy to make and install)
2. Move the battery pipe forward 4" on the rear rack (need to cut into the rack frame to do this)
3. Add multi-meter to monitor volts, amps and amp-hours (on order from US)
4. Add signal lights to rear (on order from US).

But I must try to contain the urge to keep adding; it's easy to defeat the impression of "just a bike, moving quickly".

Cheers, Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
pdg, I wondered if that battery would fit under the crossbar when you put the first photos up, and tried to it measure on screen, but with indeterminate results. It's much better balanced both physically and aesthetically like that as you say, and frees up load space.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

BY flecc
It's much better balanced both physically and aesthetically like that as you say, and frees up load space.
PDG thats a very nice job will be very intrested to hear your roadtest report on your new machine:D well done NIGEL.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
grandad
that looks great but you would need an ice lolly stick taped to catch the spokes(remember the good old days)to give it the sound.
mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I seem to remember that there was also a proprietary add-on to do the same thing, round about the time of the Raleigh Choppers. Maybe someone can remember that.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Gizmodo

I also found this site for those with hill problems. (video)

Hi Grandad
They stole the idea from the San Francisco Tramway (which incidentally was a British idea/manufacature.

Peter