First Electric Bike

Steve1960

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2016
Northampton
On the hunt for an electric bike,with a budget of about a grand,possible a little bit more,been doing a bit of research on the interweb thingy,but felt i needed to try one in the flesh.I wont be an every day user,just pleasure rides,hav'nt riden a normal bike for about 5 years and as a 57 year old lorry driver i feel i need to do some sort of exercise to keep the blood pumping correctly.I aint far from country lanes,plus i've got the Canal tow path.

I had narrowed it down to two,the freego hawk and the Woosh Big Bear,had a go on the Freego,bit of a struggle to get to Southend to try the Woosh......however,i was out for a ride on my Motorcycle today and passed through Codicote home of "The Flat Earth"electric bike shop,spoke to a very nice man in there David,who got me out on two different bikes,the Wisper 905 se cross bar and i like very much.I do prefer the battery on the rear under a rack,a set of panniers hides it neatly.I was really happy with the Wisper and i am kinda swaying towards it,only downside its a "Henry Ford" colour,"any colour you like,so long as its black"and the read out is in kph,but thats not the end of the world.

Steve

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Steve,in Northampton you are almost equidistant to my dealer at Fosse near Liecester or at Welwyn Garden City.
Perhaps you may wish to look at my Kudos cycles website,both those dealers have a Kudos Tornado in stock,if your use is leisure only the Tornado is a powerful fun bike.
The dealers full details are on my website.
KudosDave

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hello, welcome!

I think Wisper can supply a unit with a mph readout - David of Amps is around the forum regularly so you could check with him. I know he offered one to somebody with a 705se recently and that's basically the same bike, just a step-through frame rather than the crossbar of the 905. If you do decide on the Wisper, ask for a pannier converter as well if you want to fit panniers (most won't fit straight onto the rack as-is because of the way the battery slots in).

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve

Steve1960

Sep 3, 2016
Northampton
Blimey.....there is a fair range of electric bikes out there,spent a while yesterday reading about the various makes.The motorcycle is going in to a Peterborough dealer for a service today,i have a loan bike,so will zoom up to Rutland Water for a gander at the bike shop there,i also have another couple of addresses to visit,but i am still fairly smitten on the ŵisper 905se.
I aint light over 15 stone,but under 16 stone and 5"7" short not a problem on the wisper,but will it cope with my weight?
I see the bike show is approaching at the NEC,it'll have a ebike test area there,although that might make the choice even more mind blowing!!

Still at least its made me tidy out my spare room as the bike is going to live there,when not out being riden.

Steve

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
There is indeed a huge range of bikes and you can spend any amount you want if you have the budget!

The specs for the 905 Torque (exactly the same frame as the SE) say the weight capacity is up to 20 stone 9lbs so you should be fine, weight-wise, if you decide to go that way.

If you can get to the bike show at the NEC I reckon it would be brilliant for being able to see and try several things in the same place over the same terrain. Wisper are one of the exhibitors so you'd most likely be able to do a direct comparison.

Visiting local(ish) shops is a great idea too - it will give you the best idea of what kind of back-up you can expect if you run in to any issues.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Steve1960

Sep 3, 2016
Northampton
Ok....had a browse in a few shops today,Rutland Cyling in Orton Meadows and up at the Rutland Water(Whitwell) store as well,Went to Bristows in Orton Waterville as well.

The salesman at Rutland Water got me out on a Raleigh & a Cube,both over budget and both had the drive in the crank,which i had'nt read about during my weekend research,so that needed to explained to me,they rode nicely,the Raleigh was a mountain bike style costing £1,500.00 and would need topping up with mudguards and lights,the Cube(hybrid style) was £1,800.00 and already with lights/mudguards!i kinda think they were a bit posh for what i want.Bristows had EBCO bikes,the UCR60 costing around £1,500.00,was nearest to my Budget.

I guess anything with the motor centre/crank mounted is going to be a bit out of my budget,but would i benifit from it anyway,front or rear hub motors should do the job i want it for....ie liesure only weekends,odd day in the week if work allows,a few miles in to country lanes,a nice pint of real ale and return home,perhaps a trip to the local shops as well every now and then.

Steve

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I aint light over 15 stone,but under 16 stone and 5"7" short not a problem on the wisper,but will it cope with my weight?
I see the bike show is approaching at the NEC,it'll have a ebike test area there,although that might make the choice even more mind blowing!!

Still at least its made me tidy out my spare room as the bike is going to live there,when not out being riden.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I am 5'7" and heavier than you. :rolleyes:

Our frames are built to take 21st and have a 10 year warranty, so absolutely no problem for a lightweight like you!

All the best, David

Steve1960

Sep 3, 2016
Northampton
Hello David,

The digital read out unit on the 905se is in kph,i prefer mph,do Wisper do a unit that will fit the 905se,are the price of Wisper bikes due to go up at the end of September.

Steve

Paulius55

Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
Steve, you seem to be very close to us in Rushden so if you want to try other options before you commit to buy you are welcome to come and have a look at/try out our bikes. I have converted my Giant Boulder bike with a Dillinger kit for half of your budget, but that presumes you already have a bike. I am very pleased with it, does all I need. My wife has a purpose-built Harrier Folder, again well within your budget and which she enjoys very much, with the advantage that the bike goes easily in the back of the car. I see you are also a Motorbike rider, something else we have in common!

Reactions: LeighPing

Steve1960

Sep 3, 2016
Northampton
Steve, you seem to be very close to us in Rushden so if you want to try other options before you commit to buy you are welcome to come and have a look at/try out our bikes. I have converted my Giant Boulder bike with a Dillinger kit for half of your budget, but that presumes you already have a bike. I am very pleased with it, does all I need. My wife has a purpose-built Harrier Folder, again well within your budget and which she enjoys very much, with the advantage that the bike goes easily in the back of the car. I see you are also a Motorbike rider, something else we have in common!
Thanks for you offer,something to think about,a conversion is not on the cards as i dont have a bike to convert.I think i will going for the Wisper 905se,i just need to give myself a day off work to get to the shop in Codicote to sort the deal.

Steve

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for you offer,something to think about,a conversion is not on the cards as i dont have a bike to convert.I think i will going for the Wisper 905se,i just need to give myself a day off work to get to the shop in Codicote to sort the deal.

Steve
That's great news Steve. The guys at The Flat Earth will look after you very well indeed!

All the best, David

Lord Luton

Just Joined
May 21, 2016
Dorset
I've got the Wisper and have been really impressed. Great quality, you'd think it was German built.

I think there may be an option to go for front suspension which might be useful.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk

Steve
Great choice. My partner bought the 905se a month or so ago and hasn't looked back (I got the 705se, the step through version and am equally thrilled with it). Also - just to say it was me who asked for a kmh swop to an mph version and it really easy and quick to do.