First hand experience of Riese & Muller quality?

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Hi all. I'm looking into buying a Riese and Muller brand bike as they appear to have good reviews and seem like a quality brand. Does anyone have first hand experience of this? I'm not shy of spending money when it is going towards quality but I don't want to pay double when there's no increase in quality.

Has or does anyone own one of these bikes and comment on the quality please?

Many thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Technopedler,

For what it's worth, we distributed RM bikes in the UK for several years. In that time we had only a handful of issues, all of which were dealt with very quickly. Their bikes are expensive but good value for money. They are individually hand built in Frankfurt and one engineer will be responsible for the build of your bike.

They produce good solid bikes with a well deserved reputation for high quality.

All the best, David

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have a non-electric R&M Birdy Blue. Although inferior in fold size to a Brompton, it is by far the better ride and, arguably, overall package - and I have both. The quality & innovation are excellent.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm pleased with my R&M Charger so far, although the main reason for buying R&M was because I wanted a Rohloff hub gear and twin batteries.

Not much, if any, choice for a bike of that spec.

Most people who have seen the bike are impressed with it.

Someone who described himself as a welder said the welds looked top quality - best he'd seen on any bike frame.

R&M bikes probably do have a bit more quality than some other bikes, the build of mine was faultless and all the fixtures appear robust, in contrast to the cheese bolts on some cheaper bikes.

The bikes weigh a bit, even for ebikes - built to invade Poland is my usual way of saying it.

Also worth bearing in mind some R&M bikes are not that much dearer than other brands.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree, the frames are excellent. Like many big brands RM frames have their frames made in Taiwan. Superb quality. We use Taiwanese frames on the be Wisper eMTBs too.

All the best, David

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I thought RM were hand built in Germany. So in fact you're saying they're hand assembled....

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes I suppose so, however the bike frames are designed by RM, the components are made primarily in Asia like most bikes, shipped to Germany for assembly. Much like the Bosch motor.