First "off" - ouch!

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Now in my defense I think i was doing a reasonable speed, but it seems I underestimated the grip provided by well worn paving flag stones that have a very light misty rain covering.

Simple left turn, a little banking and the bike simply slid away from under me as I, rather gracefully hit the deck and slid along said greasy paving like an upturned tortoise!

I gotta say over 20kg of ebike landing on you is an interesting experience! (Glad I went for lightweight Abus lock!). Sad to say the queue at the bus stop thought it was interesting enough to just gormlessly stare and, of course, rush to help....NOT!

I did laugh to myself and - in all serious - I think I was pretty lucky. The bike looked untouched apart from the handle bar stopper being dislodged - that was it! Well impressed.

I could feel pain in my forearm and left shin but wasn't that bad so got back on and rode to work where i checked my arm - bit of light grazing, jacket couple of tiny rips a bit like a mouse had been at it. But it wasn't until a colleague came in and asked how I was that it was suggested I check my leg.

What was revealed on my shin can only be described as a second knee - monstrous heamatoma! I had honestly felt fine up to that point but when I saw that - man, I did come over pretty peculiar. Ice pack and elevation and 2 full weeks for it to go down completely. Second one came up on my hip the same day.

Lost my bottle a little for the following weeks (especially as I've derestricted the bike) but back to reckless abandon now.....on the road. when it's nice and dry!

The bike is going great guns and have converted two colleagues to ebikes who tried it out and promptly went and bought their own. Anyways...

Moral of story: I'm staying off paving in the wet - and using the roads - they're made to be grippy!

Be careful out there

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Another new member to the had an off club. Sounds like you, and the bike, didn't fair too bad, all things considered. Glad you're back up to 'reckless abandon' standards :)

Gaz

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Amost had an off at 45Mph on a wet road yesterday on the Trek!!
Coming down a 20% hill the road levels out and bends to the right onto a bridge with stone walls either side when the back wheel stepped out but luckily I was able to straighten it and kept going.
I think I frightened the car driver following me though...
To be fair the back tyre (Maxxis Advantage) is about bald and I have a Schwalbe Marathon Plus here to go on in the morning.

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
What tyres do you have?
Kenda that came on the bike - I have since dropped the pressures a tad for winter.

@Kininvie - I can't even begin to imagine how much suction was generated onto your saddle at that moment!! :eek: