First pedelec advice

Jonphelps

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2018
Hi. New to the site and looking for some advice. Live in bath and lookin to commute to corsham 8 miles with 1.5 mile hill at 6% gradient and lansdown hill with a gradient about 16%.
I,m approaching 50 over weight and extremely unfit. (Cycle 20miles on flat no problem at 12mph hills kill me).
Looking at oxygen s cross mtb as i want to use the bike as a normal bike aswell as electric so looking at additional gears. Anyone have any experience on these bikes on hills. Have seen loads of posts here about these bikes but nothing regarding hills.

Thanks

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Live in bath and lookin to commute to corsham 8 miles with 1.5 mile hill at 6% gradient and lansdown hill with a gradient about 16%.
don't worry about Lansdown Hill
it's 12.7 degrees gradient at its steepest section.
The Oxygen will climb that one and so will all my bikes.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Agree with Woosh and Fat Rat.
One of my local rides is on the Tour de Yorkshire route, it's classed as a Cat 2 climb and my Oxygen MTB copes with it no problem. Most of my rides consist of climbing hills from the Wharfe Valley to a level with Harewood/Leeds Bradford airport.

I did have an issue with it a few weeks ago when it cut out half way up the hill, but after a bit of investigation I realised it was nothing to do with the bike - it was my fault trying to keep (a much slower) pace with my partner on a non-electric Giant Anthem.
Average Anthem speed up the hill was 3.6 mph, average Oxygen speed when I'm out on my own (or let loose!) is 7+ mph.
Bike is set to Power mode, PAS 6, granny chainring at the front and usually in 3rd cassette gear.

I've got COPD & hardly any strength in my leg muscles, last week did 24 miles in 2 (leisurely) hours with loads of hills en route, the bike coped admirably.

Reactions: Jonphelps

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Most bikes will climb those hills.
What you really need to do is try a variety of bikes. There are several shops in your region with many bikes available to check that you are comfortable and all your limbs feel happy.
Cycling will certainly improve your fitness but finding a comfortable bike is essential to your plans. Go test ride!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hi. New to the site and looking for some advice. Live in bath and lookin to commute to corsham 8 miles with 1.5 mile hill at 6% gradient and lansdown hill with a gradient about 16%.
I,m approaching 50 over weight and extremely unfit. (Cycle 20miles on flat no problem at 12mph hills kill me).
Looking at oxygen s cross mtb as i want to use the bike as a normal bike aswell as electric so looking at additional gears. Anyone have any experience on these bikes on hills. Have seen loads of posts here about these bikes but nothing regarding hills.

Thanks
the main thing I have found with my ST cross is the fact that it is quite possible to ride without power or on a low power, thereby building up fitness.I think the 21 gears helps. My previous bike was like peddling through treacle without power so tended to make me lazy. I think the MTB version has a slightly different motor but not totally sure. I don't do a lot of hills but on the ones I have the bike copes very well