First Road Legal S-Pedelec in the UK?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In France you would have to mount a moped electric horn (going to put one on my trike). Indicators are optional on a moped.

• Agree
Reactions: David Kilpatrick

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No it is a moped.

• Informative
Reactions: Auxtail

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Waiting for the snow to clear then I can do a proper road test etc and will give further updates
Thanks for all the information and updates David. It's going to be invaluable for others seeking to follow this route in future.

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
I wondered about that David. Does it have a stoplight operated by either brake?
Yes both brakes operate the brake light
I have a short video on YouTube where you can see the bike in more detail

Waiting for the snow to clear then I can do a proper road test etc and will give further updates
Thanks for all the information and updates David. It's going to be invaluable for others seeking to follow this route in future.
Was squeaky bum at times! Having spent the money I needed to get it taxed. The wife would have went mental if I told her I was going to have to sell it!!!

• :D
Reactions: Wheel-E and flecc

garywfox

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
Nice bike. The temptation to take it for a spin before the paperwork was finished would have been too much for me. Well done on trailblazing that path through officialdom, I wonder how easy it would be to do retrospectively, for the S-Pedelecs which are already out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: David Kilpatrick

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
Nice bike. The temptation to take it for a spin before the paperwork was finished would have been too much for me. Well done on trailblazing that path through officialdom, I wonder how easy it would be to do retrospectively, for the S-Pedelecs which are already out there.

If the bikes have a valid COC it could be possible. I suppose it really depends how badly you want it!

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld

We know loads of people are using these illegally, the problem is when a pedestrian is looking at their phone not paying attention and walks out in front of you and gets knocked down.
Need my license for work so it was not worth it

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I note that you now can`t legally use Cycle Lanes or shared pedestrian/cycle paths or Parks !!
Even where the S class bikes are permitted with minimal bureaucracy such as Germany, they can't use cycle and shared paths. Makes sense really since they are 28mph machines, not a safe mix with pedestrians.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
So little point in buying and going through this registering faff of an S Class bike in the first place,

can`t use it in Cycle Lanes,
can`t use it in Parkland
can`t use it on shared pedestrian/cycle paths

so to take the benefit of the extra 13mph i can use it on the road only, traffic volume permitting, so that rules out most every town/city in the U.K

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So little point in buying and going through this registering faff of an S Class bike in the first place,

can`t use it in Cycle Lanes,
can`t use it in Parkland
can`t use it on shared pedestrian/cycle paths

so to take the benefit of the extra 13mph i can use it on the road only, traffic volume permitting, so that rules out most every town/city in the U.K
I agree Tommie that for most of us the S class makes no sense, even without bureaucracy. But they can work for those who wish to commute from out of town over a distance too long for a normal pedelec, if that doesn't involve the most dangerous roads for cycling.

When The Netherlands introduced the S class they did permit their use on cycleways as well, but also from necessity the equivalent 28 mph (45kph) mopeds. That caused a storm of complaints so they had to backtrack, putting the faster two wheelers back onto the roads.

This is all becoming much less of a problem now in increasing parts of the UK, as shown in my largest London borough. Borough wide we now have an all traffic 20 mph limit except on the main through routes which are all 30 mph limit. Obviously that brings a high degree of traffic compatibility on all roads across all classes of vehicles.

Reactions: tommie

Advertisers