First Road Legal S-Pedelec in the UK?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I rode Si's bike a few years ago I couldn't help but pedal to 33mph on a 6 mile jaunt, I wasn't very sensible that day :oops:. The BS10 can be seriously quickly even more so then the Swizzbee when it is well.

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
Hi it’s great you’ve registered it but my 300 cc scooter is only £69 to insure fully comp a year and that does 90 mph.I have a sped a kalkhoff bs10 actually and have been riding to work for 4 years now and have clocked over 16000 miles on it,
Would I register it not a chance,why would I want to wear a motorcycle helmet on a pushbike?,i never had any trouble had the police past me ,even been at traffic lights with them ,there not interested,I even been knocked off it and got compensation from the drivers insurance,they don’t have a clue or never will be interested.Great on you but i’d feel a right plonker with a helmet and number plate on a bike.

Hi 5 miles of my commute is through Glasgow city centre. I was more worried about some daft pedestrian too busy looking at their iPhone walking out in front of me, then you’re in bother as I believe the police are taking away and checking any ebike snow that are involved in accidents. As I mentioned before I can’t afford to lose my licence so was quite happy to do it all legally. Having done over 700 miles on it now the helmet doesn’t actually bother me and I don’t really care what any other cyclists think as I bomb passed them on the way home ‍♀

Reactions: manmikey and flecc

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I can see a future whereby they ban the 30mph/50cc mopeds(emissions/climate change nonsense)and 30.8mph e- mopeds become the replacement. This bike fits your needs but to me it's the worst of both worlds....I'd have stayed on the legal EPAC or bought a motorbike.....helmet, insurance, tax,MOT and how much wind resistance off the big number plate? (Or do you fit a wee illegal plate like us bikers did back in the 80's when we de-restricted and tuned our RD125LC's to go from <12bhp/70mph to 20bhp and 100mph?!)
Get us all on e-bikes then milk us financially via tax and insurance when they all get classed as e-mopeds..... And watch how many beers or glasses of wine you have, and the night before remember.... and no cutting along an empty pavement with that number plate telling everyone you're a moped and traceable!!! Speed cameras could get you too......I think going down this route will pull all e-bikes into the same categories as all motorised vehicles??

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Wonder if it ended up looking like this? (My Claud Butler "Virago" 90's throwback I rebuilt from a frame last year now my snow commuter with ice spikers!) Last photo has a light on the side like those 80's pivot out orange reflectors lol....20190117_150746.jpg

20190117_151132.jpg

20190118_122755.jpg

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Just stuck them on at work for a laugh to see what a road legal electric bike might look like....aerodynamics? Forget it ha ha!!!

Advertisers