Fitted BBS01B to my Carrera Crossfire

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
Hi guys,

As per the title, at the weekend (finished off today, as I was waiting for parts) I have electrified my Crossfire.

A couple of questions,

1) The Control unit is only showing 3 levels of assist, can this be changed?

2) The harness is about 2 feet longer than it needs to be, are the easy to shorten?

3) Can a standard Aluminium frame be drilled to run the harness through?

Thanks in advance.
Darren

Reactions: gsm.terra

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
2) and 3)
if you are going to dill the downtube then you can lose the excess wires inside. The diameter of the two holes is 12mm. Fit 12mm rubber grommets when finished.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I looked at putting the cable inside the downtube. The cable may fit in a 12mm hole, but the connecter & the part where the cable separates are too long go in square to the hole, so need a bigger hole to be inserted at an angle. Also remember that you have to fiddle the connecter out again which will require some sort of mouse. Then you have to put the two halves of the connecter together which makes it quite long & push it back in. Unless you make the hole oval, this requires about a 20mm hole, which would weaken the downtube. I find that by running the cable under the battery carrier & on top of the downtube crud catcher, then stowing the spare cables in a small bag (I used an old sunglasses case) fixed under the stem or bars, keeps everything tidy.
Steve

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
I looked at putting the cable inside the downtube. The cable may fit in a 12mm hole, but the connecter & the part where the cable separates are too long go in square to the hole, so need a bigger hole to be inserted at an angle. Also remember that you have to fiddle the connecter out again which will require some sort of mouse. Then you have to put the two halves of the connecter together which makes it quite long & push it back in. Unless you make the hole oval, this requires about a 20mm hole, which would weaken the downtube. I find that by running the cable under the battery carrier & on top of the downtube crud catcher, then stowing the spare cables in a small bag (I used an old sunglasses case) fixed under the stem or bars, keeps everything tidy.
Steve
Thanks Steve,

I've decided to leave it alone. I've run the cables and used fabric tape to make a harness and cable tied the excess.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow in case anyones interested in this conversion. I've also fitted hydraulic callipers.

Reactions: Andy Vickers

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
So a few pictures;

From this
IMG_0431.JPG

To this

IMG_0515.JPG

The only rear hiccups were the bottom bracket cable guide which had to be replaced, mounting the battery as the bottle mounts didn't line up and thats was about it. I've fitted Clarks hydraulic callipers and a new 8 speed rapid fire shifters as the standard one was integrated into the brake lever.

Only done a short test ride, but the motors seems very quiet and pulls ok, it's not the same as the Bewo motor that really packed a punch although I guess this is probably more to do with the controller than the motor. Another observation it's softer on the gear changes.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
very neat wiring.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
is a neat job, what size wheels on the crossfire? my Carrera subway one has 27.5. tried fitting a lidl kickstand but it seems to short.
where did you purchase the bbso1b?
in Halfords today crossfire e is now £1200 £900 ,on offer easter

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Are you considering upgrading the controller to give it a little more power?
What controller you thinking of?
Very neat job.

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
is a neat job, what size wheels on the crossfire? my Carrera subway one has 27.5. tried fitting a lidl kickstand but it seems to short.
where did you purchase the bbso1b?
in Halfords today crossfire e is now £1200 £900 ,on offer easter
Mine has the 700c wheels (29 inch) the kick stand is height adjustable and came from Amazon. I bought the kit from Woosh (there quite local). I did consider just buying a Carrera eBike, but I prefer the mid drive and I had my bike just how I wanted it, and all in it still cost less than buying an off the shelf (same as everyone elses) Crossfire-E

• :D
Reactions: grldtnr

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
Are you considering upgrading the controller to give it a little more power?
What controller you thinking of?
Very neat job.
Hi no I'm not planning on changing the controller. I really only use the pedal assist and the wife has to be able to keep up so not much point really.

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
A few pictures to update this thread

I did have a problem with the clutch, it was described to be as a damaged pawl. Repaired very quickly by Woosh, so thank you to them.

The bike is almost exactly as I wanted it although, I do have new folks on order for it.

A question to the wise ones; will I need a new chain if I fit a 52 tooth Lekkie ring, I'm over powering the 46 tooth sprocket fitted as standard.

A few additions since the pictures above, Ibera rear rack and quick release bag with integrated panniers, Roswheel frame bag and phone holder, front lamp mounted, bottle holder mounted on the front fork, Ozone Gel seat, Shimano Deore rear derailleur, wider pedals and a trigger bell (which people can actually here).

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it looks better with the new fork.
Darren, how heavy is the whole bike now?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it looks good enough to sell in shops.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A question to the wise ones; will I need a new chain if I fit a 52 tooth Lekkie ring, I'm over powering the 46 tooth sprocket fitted as standard.
We have hills steep enough to stall the motor with the 46:11-28 I was running. Try a 48 first it might be enough. I am running a 42-32:11-34 and it spins out at about 47-48 km/h on the 11 tooth and the 32 tooth granny ring goes all the way to cut out, spinning out at about 27 km/h.

An ideal cassette IMO is the Sunrace 11-40 8 speed. You could mount a spider and run 53-38 up front. That is the setup I will be using with my 26" hub.

A new chain when swapping chainwheels is a good idea if you have done a few km on the original one.

dale_

Just Joined
May 20, 2020
Hi I know this is an old thread, but I have the same bike and am considering converting it like you have. I'm a bit new to all this, so wondered if you could let me know which kit you got and if you're still happy with it now or would have gone for something different?

Many thanks