Fitting a pedelec kit to recumbent trike...

laidbackluke

Just Joined
Feb 27, 2018
Grampian
I have purchased a front wheel kit to fit to my wife's Hase Kettweisel recumbent delta trike. Ideally I would like to set it up in pedelec mode for ease of use. Unfortunately there are two issues with fitting the sensor disk: one, the trike uses a Hollowtech bottom bracket and not the square taper that the magnet ring is designed for; and secondly the steering rod that connects the front wheel and handlebars runs so close to the left side crank that it would foul the magnet disk anyway.

I think I have solved the fitting problem by attaching the disk to the inner chainring, using a holesaw to fit it over the bottom bracket and attach it directly to the chainring spider. However whatever I do the the sensor doesn't pick up the disk! I've had the motor run (briefly) when pedalling backwards so tried reversing the disk - no joy. There are also settings in the LCD display manual which suggest (cryptically) that you can make the crank sensor read "backwards" but this seems to make no difference.

Is there any easy way to get a sensor to read off a right-crank disk? If it helps it's a 250W Panda Pro kit with a KT-LCD1 display. It works fine off the throttle so everything else seems to be as it should.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You have to be really close to the disk can we see a photo?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you reversed the disc and it didn't work then you need to look at the sensor and rotate it 180 degrees. If the sensor currently sits under the BB try it above and see it that works though as AK mentioned gap between disc mags and sensor need to be a close as possible 1 or 2mm.

laidbackluke

Just Joined
Feb 27, 2018
Grampian
There’s an LED on the sensor which flashes when it picks up a magnet (at least that’s what it looks like). I’ve tried reversing the sensor as suggested and even boosting the magnets by adding on an extra neodymium magnet to each one but so far no joy! Maybe I just need to keep fiddling!

I’m surprised these sensors don’t fit to the right side anyway - hidden behind the chainrings they would be much less vulnerable to being knocked.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case then it is probably handed and is LH only.

D

Deleted member 4366

There;s four combinations of rotation direction and magnet disc orientation. Only one works. You found that combination. I've never tried it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. the magnets can normally easily be pushed out of the plastic disc. Re-insert them the other way up and it should then work on the right side

D

Deleted member 4366

Forget what I said above. Reversing the magnets is the same as flipping the disc. You need to reverse the sensor on its bracket.

Advertisers