Fixing an aluminium frame

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The hefty steel twin stand eventually fell off my suede e this week taking with it the alloy frame plate. On the up side I`m about a kilo less weight, on the down side I need to find someone in Derbyshire who can weld aluminium!

I can`t say I knocked it off, but it has rattled an awful lot over the last year of commutes and I think it just gave up the ghost.

Suede E owners out there, check your stand brackets:eek:

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------
Suede e. 2nd battery, 2nd year of daily commutes.

Raleigh Pioneer project/powabyke hub/700c one 36v controller down still deciding whether to go to 48v

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's bad news, must have been a lousy weld to have fatigued so easily. Not like Giant, usually quality control ok, though some of the stands they've fitted have had cast metal legs that snap.

That Powabyke hub should climb your local hills well, when blasted with 48 volts, if it lasts.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Problem is that the last bit of weld was really good. Before realising what happened, I kicked the stand down and it fell off taking a 5mmdia circle of tube with it.

The question I was going to ask was can I get the bike welded with the controller & motor fitted? I don`t want to blow them up, neither do I really want to strip em down..

Regarding the powabyke hub, it seemed to return 16-17mph at 36v until the cheapo TNC controller bit the dust. The only reason I ran 36v was because I could use the old worn out suede battery pack.
48v sure sounds a better bet..but I test rode a 12ah 24v I-zip a while back and was impressed by the ride. I am not totally sure it would get me to work though. Is there an I-zip review?
Andrew

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
heh a review of the bike by jack nicholson?
It certainly rides well and I like the curry drive too.
I might get another test drive.
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A good welder experienced with alloy should be able to do that with a shielding plate against the controller area. The heat levels involved aren't as high as with steel of course. It's just finding the right man. Many modern motorbikes use large alloy castings for frames, sub assemblies, plus of course the crankcases. Since 'bikes are crashed wholesale needing repair, maybe a motorbike dealer's workshop staff will know a source of a reliable welder in your area.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I`ll post when I find a good one. I just can risk the structural aluminium snapping at the wrong time.
Andrew

tallbloke

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 5, 2006
Yeadon
www.tallbloke.net
Nothing earths to the frame on electric bikes so shouldn't be an issue welding it with the motor and controller in place. A friend of mine near Unstone may know a local alloy welder. Which part of Derbyshire are you in?

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I am near Ripley but can chuck the bike in the car.
A contact number would be great.
Thanks
Andrew

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Are there any aftermarket stands that can be fitted ? i.e. clamp to the frame?

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I guess there are quite a few lighter ones on the market. The problem is that the last bit of weld took a small bit of tube with it leaving a hole. I`m still using the bike but, it might compromise long term strength.
Andrew