Flats v spd

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Been covered before I know but am going to halfords after tea anyway so was looking for some opinions.
I have mtb type clip in pedals on both my bikes but I would like to be able to just jump on the mtb without having to put on cycling shoes. Don't mind on the road bike because my rides are longer but a short run to the shop on the mtb is sometimes a pain.
Has any one changed from clips to flats? How did it go? Does anyone use both?
The only thing I remember from using flats was slipping off and catching my ankle bone on the pedals, or even on the cranks...
Cheers...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I use these in the link, no slipping issues and don't miss being clipped in in the slightest. I always have issues with the bearings on the right pedal on every pedal I've ever had, these click a little, bearings are adjustable and rebuildable like most pedals. They're quite large.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-saint-mx80-flat-pedals/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360535853&kpid=5360535853&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sRs1iTwzL_dc|mcrid|67090789262|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360535853uk|mslid||&mkwid=sRs1iTwzL_dc&pcrid=67090789262&prd=5360535853uk&pgrid=17507338262&ptaid=pla-121252364462

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
I've always used spd but decided to try some flats for the reason you mention.Ended up getting something similar to the photos for my mtb ,but find that I keep lifting my feet off the pedals especially if out of the saddle so only use them with my spd shoes now.
However...................after a recent illness I started using my wife's Cube mtb which has an electric conversion kit. This has flattties (cheap looking ones !) but I find them quite sticky,I wear an old pair of fell boots with a grippy soles and don't have any problem at all.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've always used spd but decided to try some flats for the reason you mention.Ended up getting something similar to the photos for my mtb ,but find that I keep lifting my feet off the pedals especially if out of the saddle so only use them with my spd shoes now.
However...................after a recent illness I started using my wife's Cube mtb which has an electric conversion kit. This has flattties (cheap looking ones !) but I find them quite sticky,I wear an old pair of fell boots with a grippy soles and don't have any problem at all.
out of the saddle! the only time I do this is when I get off of the bike..

• :D
Reactions: Gringo and JPGiant

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Two things:
If you want V8 pedals, Wellgo do a copy for half that price (chainreaction usually have them)

Why not get single sided pedals? That way you can clip or wear flat shoes.
I personally like the click'r ones as they seem to still hold my feet in yet are much, much easier to unclip.
PD-T420 or 421
The only snag with these is that the flat side can be slippery in the wet.

I also have one bike with I think XT T8000 trekking pedals, that have pins on the non clip side. That a good pedal, but its a tad more expensive!

D

Deleted member 22539

Flats all the way for MTBing
I can’t stand being tied to the bike especially on technical sections
Spiked flats with soft sole trainers job done wet of dry

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I think a circa £2.5K deserves better pedals. It's like fitting cheap Chinese tyres to your expensive sports car! Come on Gubbins you know it deserves better :p

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think a circa £2.5K deserves better pedals. It's like fitting cheap Chinese tyres to your expensive sports car! Come on Gubbins you know it deserves better :p
I buy lots of expensive stuff and then throw them in a drawer cos they don't work as expected.
I have a cheap pair of flats but don't want even try them and halfords is just down the road (shut when I got there last night) so will try their spiky offerings before spending big bucks on something I might not like. Besides which they only last a year ...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I buy lots of expensive stuff and then throw them in a drawer cos they don't work as expected.
I have a cheap pair of flats but don't want even try them and halfords is just down the road (shut when I got there last night) so will try their spiky offerings before spending big bucks on something I might not like. Besides which they only last a year ...
I'm with you now, I hadn't considered you need to see how you get on with them, I'm sure you'll get on with the ones with the spikes (cap head screws sticking out)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm with you now, I hadn't considered you need to see how you get on with them, I'm sure you'll get on with the ones with the spikes (cap head screws sticking out)
And if they are any thing like the spd pedals I have bought, the cheaper ones are no different from the more expensive ones. Well, they go rusty quicker is all..

Related Articles

Advertisers