Flx bike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I reckon they would ship direct from China to save time and freight. From my perspective, the CD bikes give a little better centre of gravity when you lift the bike and wield it about but there is little difference between a CD motor and a mid-size or large rear geared hub as far as traction and power are concerned. Rear geared hub bikes are cheaper to build.

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
I'm sure that it's a lovely bike. It looks more or less the same and the same spec as the latest Oxygen MTB, but with a Bofeili central motor instead of a bafang rear hub motor; however, I can't really see a reason to buy one. Firstly, at $1700 (£1300), it'll end up at over £1600 by the time everything is paid for and I don't believe that that includes the shipping cost, which would probably be over £100. You can get a nice bike with a Yamaha motor with full guarantee and dealer support for less than that:
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/318576/products/2016-giant-dirt-e-plus-2-electric-mountain-bike-yellow-blue.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmri_BRCZpaHkuIH75_IBEiQAIG0rIbAV3zrhcHvhtX7DjWu8cE-cWBs4ECq1hqzN3BVvNy4aAod_8P8HAQ

Secondly, I've never seen any bikes in the UK with the Bofeili motor, so if anything happens to it you'd be a little stuck. No other motor can be used in the frame and you can't chuck the motor and put a hub motor in because there wouldn't be a bottom bracket to install the pedals.

Thirdly, the bike is made in China. I would say that the FLX guys have been to the Shanghai bike show, seen it there, and are trying to get enough money together to buy a container of them. When they have enough, they get the container and redistribute the bikes. It doesn't make sense to buy a bike that's made in China, shipped to USA and then shipped to UK because you get double shipping costs. You can normally buy single electric bikes directly from the manufacturers in China, which only have a single shipping cost and no distributer mark up. A bike like that would cost about $800 plus shipping, if you bought it directly. You can find such bikes on the various Chinese trade websites. Here's an example of a full suspension one with a Bafang Max-drive motor, for which spares would be readily available and it's more powerful. It's $1200 vs the equivalent FLX at $2300:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/27-5-Full-Suspension-Bafang-Max_60496687656.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.wESAoD

Here's a full suspension bike with a Bofeili motor. If you search far enough, you'll find that exact FLX bike under the Chinese brand name:
https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Manufacturer-direct-selling-26-inch-250W_60288455325.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.VDzYaT
The bike isn't shipped to USA first.
Secondly any spares will be distributed directly from them.
Third EVERY review gave it top marks.
Its built tough and to take knocks. More than I can say about some bikes...
If this is a success (as its a start up) you'll be hearing more about this firm.
Not quite sure how your example is an exact copy....... [emoji6]
They haven't bought crates full of ready made bikes.... It's an end to end design and production process. Log onto indegogo and watch the videos instead of immediately being critical without any facts or knowledge of the venture.

Anyway I was asking for feedback from people who have either ordered or are interested....

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It's a standard Chinese bike with a standard Chinese Bofeili motor. The only designing you need to do do is choose which gears and forks you want. I've been to Chinese bike shows, where you will see that sort of bike on many stands. the Bofeili motor has been around for several years, but you won't see it on many bikes in UK shops for the reasons I mentioned.

If you think that they're designed to take hard knocks, look what happens to the front wheel in this video. At 1:49, you can clearly see that the tube is out of the tyre. Was it because the rim broke?

I'm sure that you'll love your bike when you eventually get it. Show us the photos when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
If you think that they're designed to take hard knocks, look what happens to the front wheel in this video. At 1:49, you can clearly see that the tube is out of the tyre. Was it because the rim broke?

I had the same thing happen on my KTM caused by a puncture entering a corner a lot slower than this.
On here they confirmed the wheel was underinflated and biffed the jump landing sideways on the tire, ripped it right off. Would have happened with any tire/rim setup at that PSI when landing sideways off a 5 foot jump. They put that in the campaign video to show people the bikes can take a beating. They were back at it in 10 minutes after an inner tube change.
If you follow the build process youll realise it's not bolt and build from existing parts.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Boefelli used to be more prominent, back in 2013 being the first Chinese manufacturers offering a mid motor. The only problem then, as now, is that the frame needs to be modified to fit the motor, not many vendors went with their motor. Then Bafang came along with their BBS01 with higher torque and fits standard frames. The rest is history.

• Informative
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Looks a very nice bike and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I was just saying that once you add shipping to the cost, then add customs duty of 6% to that total, then add VAT to this new total it doesn't stack up cost wise IMHO.

They say you can't pick them up in SF so they don't have any manicuring done in the USA - they're made in China and shipped straight from China to the end user.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it as I'm sure you've done all your research. At the price point I don't expect many to be bought in the EU as it appears USA is the primary market. Looking forward to your review and hoping it proves to be an exceptionally great bike.

DavidSally

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2016
Bolsover
Hi folks I have a flx on order via indegogo and although they are behind schedule I hope to receive a trail in the next few weeks.
Any thoughts? Anyone else received theirs as yet?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
Hi, I thought of giving the flx a try via indegogo. I didn't after all but would love to know your outcome. You should have had the bike by now, how's about a report? Also are they road legal here? I read somewhere that they exceed our power and/or mph limits.

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Not received yet its on a boat. Probably next week or 2.
Speed limits can be programmed by country.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

phender738

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Wiltshire
I invested in a Trail bike from FLX back in May. Still haven't received it. I received an email Oct 8th saying I should expect a tracking number soon, nothing yet. I logged a ticket on their shiny new help desk, it has been processing for 28 days. I email them through Indiegogo and finally received a reply. "The container with your bike is in Europe". Still waiting :-(
I am located just 10 miles from Swindon, near Cricklade, which is why I wondered if you have received your bike yet?

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
I invested in a Trail bike from FLX back in May. Still haven't received it. I received an email Oct 8th saying I should expect a tracking number soon, nothing yet. I logged a ticket on their shiny new help desk, it has been processing for 28 days. I email them through Indiegogo and finally received a reply. "The container with your bike is in Europe". Still waiting :-(
I am located just 10 miles from Swindon, near Cricklade, which is why I wondered if you have received your bike yet?
Hi Mine was on 29 Sept shipment and I understand it's been docked in Rotterdam for a few days where I guess it will then get held in customs. The tracking number is issue once picked up from customs.
I'll let you know when I hear something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

phender738

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Wiltshire
Hi - I received a request from Dutch customs today regarding delivery of my FLX Trail.
The request:
"To be able/allowed to arrange Import c/c on your behalf we need to have you fill in enclosed form
(Unfortunately we have forms in Dutch and English languages only; Please use whichever you prefer).
Additionally we’ll need a copy of your passport or Identification Card"

Hopefully this means we are one step closer.

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Yep good news indeed. Quite slow process to get here...
Are you aware of the Facebook page? Ride flx.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Well I finally received I've the Flx trail a week ago. After a quick build which went together easily I've ridden her about 5 times and covered 10 miles or so. I've made a couple or changes such as lifting the handlebars,changing the front chainring for a 40t, adding my MTx rack.
The battery so far has lasted well but it's really too soon to tell as it'll need charging a few times to get the endurance up.
Bike is 9 speed and with the new sprocket is easy to navigate hills. Power deliver is strong and there are 5 pas settings. There is also no resistance when on 0 (no power assistance) unlike my old ktm.
Brakes are good but I think the rear needs burping. It's a little soft.
Delivery of this bike took months but I was an early backer through indiegogo. It should be down to a few short weeks by now as stock builds after the initial ramping up.
The bike is very nice. Quality of the frame and the paint is high. Powerful motor and a good riding position.
I'll add pics shortly....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Crockers