FOLD bike... is it a bike?

Bee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2015
What do people make of this Indiegogo campaign?

Fold-modern-electric-bike

I like the idea of it, even if the riding position with the feet so far back isn't ideal (in my humble opinion).
And I'm on the market for a folding electric bike that doesn't weigh too much as I'd want to take it in to work and that involves going up to the fifth floor with no lift (I also have an ~8% gradient en route).

I'm also curious if it's an electric bike, moped or what. I don't think it can be classed as a bicycle without pedals. And if its not a bicycle does it need registration plates, VED, licence, insurance, etc. I contacted the creator who basically said 'Nothing to do with me'

I've not yet backed it, I'd like more info and like to know it will succeed as its flexible funding which means it keeps the money raised even if it doesn't reach the target... which I think is terrible.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
What's the capacity of the battery?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Don’t think I’d like to do 24mph on a powered roller skate. It can’t be legal in the UK or EU anyway. So it depends where you live, and how strictly they enforce the laws.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Just showed this to a 17 year old who said it was cool. Really liked it. Me, I'm not stirred in the slightest. But what do us old fellas know? lol!

D

Deleted member 4366

No pedals means it's illegal in UK, so you need to look elsewhere.

Bee

Apr 10, 2015
@trex: No idea, one of the vital bits of information I'd like to know too. I've asked but no response yet.

@JohnCade: I wouldn't want to do 24mph on it either. Certainly at that speed it wouldn't be classed as bicycle. Unless I'm wrong they have a 15mph limit.

@Emo Rider: Well I know I don't know anything about what is cool and what isn't, but I don't know much more than that. But I'm cool with that :)

@d8veh: Why so? I can understand it might not be legally a bicycle in the traditional sense. But wouldn't it fall in to another category e.g. motorbike? Or does it completely fall between the cracks?

Bee

Apr 10, 2015
Okay so found this... https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

On several counts it fails the EAPC requirements (power, speed and lack of pedals) which means it would need to be registered and taxed. A licence would be required as well as a crash helmet. And finally it would need to be 'type approved'.

A shame they didn't stick pedals on it and restrict it's power/speed within the EU like so many other eBike manufacturers do.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
@trex: No idea, one of the vital bits of information I'd like to know too. I've asked but no response yet.

@JohnCade: I wouldn't want to do 24mph on it either. Certainly at that speed it wouldn't be classed as bicycle. Unless I'm wrong they have a 15mph limit.

@Emo Rider: Well I know I don't know anything about what is cool and what isn't, but I don't know much more than that. But I'm cool with that :)

@d8veh: Why so? I can understand it might not be legally a bicycle in the traditional sense. But wouldn't it fall in to another category e.g. motorbike? Or does it completely fall between the cracks?
Says it will do speeds of up to 24mph. The range claimed will be b*llocks of course. It can’t be a legal pedelec for all sorts of reasons, power lack of pedals you name it. See threads past on the all but impossibility of registering e bikes as motor vehicles. This would have no chance of being registered and made legal and it isn’t a legal pedelec.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Does it come with a guarantee?(that you can pull the young lady in the picture). If not then a waste of money ;).

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
There is a real upsurge in electric powered transportation devices on the market wether powered kids type/adult scooters, unicycles, low powered mopeds ect.
They are all illegal but it has not stopped people buying. What with gridlock and a lack of storage space in city's, price of public transport ect.
These things are becoming the way people are getting around, there is a demand and it is growing. At some point regulators will have to decide what type / types and at what power/speed will be allowed.