Folding electric bike for under 1000?

A1ex

Just Joined
Aug 4, 2017
London
Hello guys,

This is probably a naive question in some way but can you recommend where to start looking for someone who wants to join the community?

As we are still renting i am looking to get something that is quite compact and not looking to spend over 1k at the moment unless it is something of absolutely stunning quality. There are quite a lot of brands that recently entered the market and not too many reviews so frankly it would be great if you could give some pointers.

I have an entry level brompton at the moment so i am guessing a conversion kit can be an option as well. Or i can just sell it and use the money for the new electric one. I am not looking for the bike to drive itself: mostly assist during the hill climbs and improving my average speed a bit.

Cheers
Alex

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There is no better folding bike than a Brompton, so it seems daft to replace it with what would be a cheap Chinese folder with a motor.

In your case, a conversion makes sense.

The Nano kit is very well thought out, although not cheap at about £800.

The bits could be bought piecemeal for less, but the resulting conversion wouldn't be quite so neat.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make any bike ptetty compact by putting quick-release screws on the stem clamp, which allows you to turn the bars through 90 deg, flat to the bike, then change the pedals to folding ones. Total cost is less than £20. You don't need any skill to change the bits over.

A1ex

Just Joined
Aug 4, 2017
London
I see, thank you.

My only concern would be that a Brompton is relatively old (i bought it second hand) so an upgrade with installation at around 900 gbp is twice it's worth and puts me above the budget. Now i can probably put that conversion kit on some other Brompton later on but that is only if those would compatible and frankly i am a bit stuck thinking about it.

Maybe something like Woosh Galego will be alright at a combined cost of half of what the Brompton option will cost but i can't really try it in London and there are no (1?) reviews of it on the internet. On the other hand i am quite a fan of beautiful engineering... oh well.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our Kudos K16 is ideal for your usage.....it is light,quick fold,fast especially rapid acceleration,10 Ah battery (good for 30 miles) and not expensive,strong hill climber.....full details on kudoscycles.com
KudosDave