Fooled by Brighton & Hove City bike share scheme.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yesterday I noticed cycling from Southwick heading eastward a few e bikes painted in Brighton city's pale blue/green colours along the promenade, approaching the 360i I saw a an open air lock up place/bike station point where these bikes are locked to a docking station and a charge point. The weather yesterday was pretty miserable low stratus cloud and lots of fine at times heavy drizzle so I didn't take any pics. I didn't stop to have a good look at the bikes due to the weather but they are a step through with shopping basket on the front with rear pannier battery. The battery is self looked to be covered in a vaccum sealed silicone moulded enclosure so completely waterproof, the drive system from a appeared to be a front hub with a sealed drive shaft system from the crank no chain/belt visible for low maintenance. On my route I saw three bike stations so this must be a relative new initiative for local low emission easy access transport, looking on the website the plan is for 460 bikes to be made available.

Last edited:

ChilledMatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
Yesterday I noticed cycling from Southwick heading eastward a few e bikes painted in Brighton city's pale blue/green colours along the promenade, approaching the 360i I saw a an open air lock up place/bike station point where these bikes are locked to a docking station and obviously a charge point. The whether yesterday was pretty miserable low stratus cloud and lots of fine at times heavy drizzle so I didn't take any pics. I didn't stop to have a good look at the ebikes due to the weather but they are a step through with shopping basket on the front with rear pannier battery. The battery is self looked to be covered in a vaccum sealed silicone moulded enclosure so completely waterproof, the drive system from a appeared to be a front hub with a sealed drive shaft system from the crank no chain/belt visible for low maintenance. On my route I saw three bike stations so this must be a relative new initiative for local low emission easy access transport, looking on the website the plan is for 460 bikes to be made available.
I don't think they are ebikes. I saw them when I was in Brighton a couple of weeks ago. The front hub probably a dynamo for the lights. But, I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I didn't stop to look at one because of the weather all I saw as I passed one was what I thought was a rear pannier battery, you may well be right and they are just part of a pedal bike scheme.
I stand corrected just checked the www. and they are a pedal bike, the look alike battery on the rear must be a tracker come electronic device which contains unlock software or such like. They had me fooled next time I will have a proper look.

Last edited: