FOR SALE: Ezee Cadence, quick sale to buy my new bike £350

C

Cyclezee

Have to agree. I love eZee bikes and have several but the battery price continues to be the killer and I'm sure restricts their sales of new bikes.

Retrofitting the generic upright batteries off eBay or from BMS is not straightforward but is doable and I'll soon be posting pics of such a project I have undertaken on an ezee Liv (cos John couldn't do me a battery at an affordable for me price).
I'm sorry Dave if you think our battery prices are too high, the simple fact is we cannot afford to sell at a loss.

I think that were you to check battery prices from manufacturers of similar quality bikes, if you can find their prices in print that is, you will find that ours which include import duty, VAT and delivery with the UK are not overpriced.
We unlike BMS etc., offer a 2 year warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'm sorry Dave if you think our battery prices are too high, the simple fact is we cannot afford to sell at a loss.

I think that were you to check battery prices from manufacturers of similar quality bikes, if you can find their prices in print that is, you will find that ours which include import duty, VAT and delivery with the UK are not overpriced.
We unlike BMS etc., offer a 2 year warranty.
I fully understand John. I know I am contradicting myself but it is true that if you factor in these other costs then the Chinese stuff looks less attractive. The cheap battery I've bought from BMS for the Liv has attracted £51 worth of vat/duty so not so cheap now!

I enquired about a rack mounted 48v 18ah lifepo4 for someone whose bike I was working on. It wasn't BMS as they don't do such things but it was a known supplier.

The battery kit was $294 which was fair enough. (£190).

The delivery was going to be $285! If it had passed through customs in the proper manner, ie not fraudulently, then this attractively priced battery would have cost a total of £427.

Beyond that of course the warranty would probably be worthless as well.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think it's fair to compare ebay prices or BMS's for that matter with john's.
why should a quality battery from john cost any less than a quality battery from Bosch?

C

Cyclezee

I fully understand John. I know I am contradicting myself but it is true that if you factor in these other costs then the Chinese stuff looks less attractive. The cheap battery I've bought from BMS for the Liv has attracted £51 worth of vat/duty so not so cheap now!

I enquired about a rack mounted 48v 18ah lifepo4 for someone whose bike I was working on. It wasn't BMS as they don't do such things but it was a known supplier.

The battery kit was $294 which was fair enough. (£190).

The delivery was going to be $285! If it had passed through customs in the proper manner, ie not fraudulently, then this attractively priced battery would have cost a total of £427.

Beyond that of course the warranty would probably be worthless as well.
Another point is of course how many people want the hassle of adapting the bike and a non standard battery to fit when an ezee battery just slots straight in?

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I don't think it's fair to compare ebay prices or BMS's for that matter with john's.
why should a quality battery from john cost any less than a quality battery from Bosch?
I wasn't, all I was saying was that cheapo batteries from China may not end up being so cheap.

My wife has a eZee Torq and the battery is coming towards the end of its life and she has stated quite emphatically that when she needs a battery she isn't allowing me to "mess about with it", she is having the genuine thing!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
mjwobble, how much did you pay for your bike if you don't mind me asking?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I can see both sides here,yes there are cheaper batteries available for some other bikes,but those other bikes will offer a lot less climbing ability,a lot of bikes only have 12amp or 15 amp controllers so a lesser spec battery will do the job,ezee and a few other better quality bikes give far better hillclimbing with 20 amp controllers,and need better quality batteries to supply the extra power,trouble is you can end up with an outdated looking bike needing a replacement battery that costs more than the bike is worth.

C

Cyclezee

I can see both sides here,yes there are cheaper batteries available for some other bikes,but those other bikes will offer a lot less climbing ability,a lot of bikes only have 12amp or 15 amp controllers so a lesser spec battery will do the job,ezee and a few other better quality bikes give far better hillclimbing with 20 amp controllers,and need better quality batteries to supply the extra power,trouble is you can end up with an outdated looking bike needing a replacement battery that costs more than the bike is worth.
Last week I had a 2007 eZee Forza in for servicing, one of the first produced and in need of some TLC due to lack of maintenance and a hard life. It had a broken chain guard, bent rear derailleur hanger, broken rear mudguard bridge, worn out brake pads front and rear, ripped saddle, I think you are getting the picture. It had a replacement battery in 2009 which is performing perfectly with several thousand miles on the clock and once the maintenance issues were addressed I took for a 5 mile ride.
It pulls like a train, handles nicely and is a very comfortable ride, OK, it is not in showroom condition, but the owner loves it and it does exactly what he wants.

My point is what will the latest high tech electric bike be like in 6 years time, what will it have cost and will it still perform as well as this old Forza?

Yesterday, at the request of the owner, I collected a Mk1 eZee Torq of similar vintage to the Forza from an electric bike shop in Surrey for repair. The shop in question shall remain nameless, they 'mislaid' some of the parts.
It was involved in a traffic accident in June and the rider came off worse than the bike. The bike sustained a broken rear wheel, but apart from that, it is not in bad condition. The owner had the battery re-celled 2 years ago at a cost greater than a new replacement at todays prices. When tested I was only getting a reading of only 20.4v and I have not had time yet to do more with it. Again the owner loves this bike, doesn't want a new one and just wants it fixed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the bike is worth at present £350 but with a new 14AH battery, its value should be £775 as the battery will come with new two year guarantee or £875 with both old and new batteries.
This bike has a Nexus 7 - not cheap old derailleur.
What can you buy with £775 that comes anywhere near?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
C

Cyclezee

The Ebay title says new battery, but does not show it or specify the capacity?
The battery shown on bike photo is definitely 4 years old at least.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last week I had a 2007 eZee Forza in for servicing, one of the first produced and in need of some TLC due to lack of maintenance and a hard life. It had a broken chain guard, bent rear derailleur hanger, broken rear mudguard bridge, worn out brake pads front and rear, ripped saddle, I think you are getting the picture. It had a replacement battery in 2009 which is performing perfectly with several thousand miles on the clock and once the maintenance issues were addressed I took for a 5 mile ride.
It pulls like a train, handles nicely and is a very comfortable ride, OK, it is not in showroom condition, but the owner loves it and it does exactly what he wants.

My point is what will the latest high tech electric bike be like in 6 years time, what will it have cost and will it still perform as well as this old Forza?

Yesterday, at the request of the owner, I collected a Mk1 eZee Torq of similar vintage to the Forza from an electric bike shop in Surrey for repair. The shop in question shall remain nameless, they 'mislaid' some of the parts.
It was involved in a traffic accident in June and the rider came off worse than the bike. The bike sustained a broken rear wheel, but apart from that, it is not in bad condition. The owner had the battery re-celled 2 years ago at a cost greater than a new replacement at todays prices. When tested I was only getting a reading of only 20.4v and I have not had time yet to do more with it. Again the owner loves this bike, doesn't want a new one and just wants it fixed.
It depends of course on what you consider as latest high tech. You do feel a little ripped off with the Bosch and Yamaha bikes if you ever need servicing outside the warranty period but then again, even Chinese motors can do 6 years. Ironically, it's the mechanical side that lets most Chinese bikes down.

The battery shown on bike photo is definitely 4 years old at least.
Battery: 37V 10AH.

it goes to show how good this ezee bike design is.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Id shoot the Duracell Bunny! would taste nice in a stew tho'
"If you've been reading my posts you'll know that this bike's range is also falling short for me, the battery price to upgrade the range is a 650 quid battery - I'm not paying that for a battery I'd rather get a new bike and sell this one"

Ye gods, what sort of battery cost £650? Is it nuclear, or do you get to shoot the Duracell bunny?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the seller only wants £285 after fitting a new battery? surely a mistake?

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I've just asked him to confirm the claims he makes, ie give sight of new battery receipt, confirm 20mph without pedalling, climbs ANY hill, does 30 to 40 miles on pedal assist.
On receipt of confirmation I think I'll have it. Its little more than half the price of the new battery he has just bought!

C

Cyclezee

Hi Guys,

It is now back up to £400 and the seller has given an explanation about the battery in the description.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi Guys,

It is now back up to £400 and the seller has given an explanation about the battery in the description.
Yes and he's answered the questions I put to him.
It's not a new battery but an old spare he had.
It can do up to 20mph without pedalling - incertain conditions.
It won't climb any hill but he's never been stuck on one(but he's only had the bike 5 minutes anyway).
Range depends on pedalling (of course)

£268 maybe. £400 no. Makes the Torq I sold on eBay today at £245 very cheap. It was a better bike all round (IMO)

C

Cyclezee

So the new battery was new once upon a time according to a previous owner:confused:

I do love the Cadence, it's a really comfy beach cruiser and I would be tempted myself if I didn't live so far from a beach:(