For the larger person

johnthecandle

Just Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Wokingham
I appreciate this has been covered a few years ago , but products change rapidly . If its been done recently my apologies, and I would appreciate a link

I am looking at my first ebike , main issue in choosing a suitable ebike is my weight

Looked at the Woosh Big Bear as that has been recommended before on this site and yes it’s a very good bike and the company is great but.... I don’t like the styling

Info
My Size : 20 Stone and 5’6” , inside leg 30”
Bike Weight : Less 25Kg for my towbar bike carrier (although can take battery out!)
Range : 20Miles would be fine (WITH a weighty rider, more would be better )
Usage : Mainly roads and cycle paths but would like to use it on some simple “off road” tracks,
Budget : 1K although be great if it was less
Styling : More Mountain bike than race , would prefer a hidden battery but not critical

Any pointers appreciated, many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want a legal bike, there's very little choice for a 20st rider. What small choice you have is then limited again by your budget. The looks of a bike are all in your mind. Looks bring no practical advantage. It's probably a good idea to swallow your pride on this one and get an ugly bike, which will make you very happy.

• Agree
Reactions: TZC

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Agree with d8. There are bikes better suited than the big bear - but not for under a grand or anywhere near that's for sure

EDIT: legal ebikes I mean if that's of importance

Err, there is this though- it's using the same motor as the big bear and I'm riding something similar but in old spec at the moment. And I haven't buckled the wheels - yet even though I'm heavier than you. Only a little above your budget at low spec.

https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=327

I had been loaned the similar bike between buys. Not something I'd like to stick with forever while grateful for the use if you know what I mean. Hope you find something to suit

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Kudos isn't bad. I would recommend it for a 100kg rider, but I think 127 kg will be too much for it. The Big Bear has a higher power controller, that allows the motor to give more torque than the Kudos.

johnthecandle

Just Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Wokingham
Thanks to all for the time in replying to the thread, taking the above into consideration I have decided to go for the Big Bear as it appears the most sensible choice, and Whoosh seam such a good company . Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and when I have lost some weight look again

PeteIOM

Just Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Isle of Man
I'm similar.. being a heavy guy (125kg and 6'3) it's always going to be more of a challenge finding a bike.
I try lots.. had a few Full sus over the years but soon realised that without losing considerable weight the rear shock would never perform well with my weight.
Same with eBikes.. the frame, wheels, components will all be fine generally but weight will play a massive part in the battery life.

You do have a great advantage though over lighter riders apart from going down hill quickly :)
While they are getting slightly fitter as well as spending money on trick items to get more juice from the battery.. all you have to do is cycle and lose weight.. it'll be the biggest and best mod you can ever do.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For heavy riders the Woosh Big Bear is a suitable good bike or Wisper bikes as David Miall has said in the past, the reason he set out to design the range is because there weren't many options about.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
The Kudos isn't bad. I would recommend it for a 100kg rider, but I think 127 kg will be too much for it. The Big Bear has a higher power controller, that allows the motor to give more torque than the Kudos.
D8

I agree that it isn't the best choice however this bike I have doesn't struggle at all with my weight plus 6kg of shopping on my back, so 127 kg really isn't too much to ask, maybe you'd be surprised :)

PeteIOM

Just Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Isle of Man
To a degree heavier riders have to accept that this stuff generally isn't designed for our weight, but that doesn't mean it won't work and ideally whilst you are working hard at making it work you will be getting lighter so its a win win.
The full weight of me, bike and gear is 147kg... a round 20kg over the max recommended weight stipulated by the manufacturer for Rider, bike and gear.
Does it bother me? Nope... I'm fully aware that I may wear certain components out sooner than lighter riders.

• Agree
Reactions: Garrydog and D C

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Trike = 17+ kg
Motor and battery = 7 kg
Me 80+ kg (winter weight :( )
Trailer full of shopping 35-40 kg

So even us "little" guys can get up to 140+ kg quite easily. The advantage of the trike is a max load of 125 kg because it is spread over 3 wheels.

Reactions: PeteIOM

PeteIOM

Just Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Isle of Man
Trike = 17+ kg
Motor and battery = 7 kg
Me 80+ kg (winter weight :( )
Trailer full of shopping 35-40 kg

So even us "little" guys can get up to 140+ kg quite easily. The advantage of the trike is a max load of 125 kg because it is spread over 3 wheels.
Haha yes indeed, good point.
That darn winter weight, its been a long 12 month winter so far :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

It's simple physics. There's no problem with weight on any bike until you vome to a hill, then the sum of the powers of the motor and rider need to be enough to drag you up the hill. It takes twice as much power to get 140kg as it does 70kg up the same hill.

Actually, it's torque that you need, so, with gearing, you can trade speed for torque, which means that 140kg mass could go up the same hill as a 70kg one, but at half the speed, the problem is that gearing doesn't normally go low eough and hub-motors can't be geared down, so will no longer be able to help you.

In theory, a crank motor can get you up any hill with the right gearing, and so can a hub-motor with a slow enough winding, but these are special applications, which are not likely to be found in your average ebike shop.

In normal circumstances with your average hub-motored bike ftom a shop, there's a real chance that a heavy rider would burn out the motor or controller as soon as he/she encounters a moderate hill. Up to 100kg is probably OK. Above that, the danger increases.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't forget the wind! A larger person also has aerodynamic challenges to overcome. I say this because a storm is here (again...) and I had to change down to 1st gear in a couple of places on my ride earlier! Yes, on the trike! It is gusting to well over 80 km/h... :eek: The lycras were all riding rolled up into little balls except for downwind where they were sitting up straight o_O